• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

6 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I do not know if I should talk to the Sunday School leader about this or if I should just let it pass. 

Yes, you should talk to the Sunday School leader (or the teacher who brought up politics).  You should let him know that Sunday School is meant to focus on Scripture, not politics.  The principles from Scripture can be presented, but speaking about particular candidates is not acceptable.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,876
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

There is a time and a place for everything. A political debate is not the place for a Sunday School class.

considering how this election will affect the Church, I do disagree.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,876
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

BS

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

17 minutes ago, other one said:

BS

Whose initials are those?

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts on this issue. I think I will go back this coming Sunday and if this comes up again I hope to find the right words to put a stop to it.  Well we will see how that goes.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts on this issue. I think I will go back this coming Sunday and if this comes up again I hope to find the right words to put a stop to it.  Well we will see how that goes.

All you need is a placard which says "NO POLITICS ON SUNDAY". :)

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 10/25/2016 at 7:56 AM, LadyKay said:

I am unsure what I should do about this or if I should do anything at all. But I went to a Sunday School class this past Sunday and ended up in a political debate. I do not want to go into detail about what was being said, but  the leader of the class was talking about how one of the candidates  running for president is better then the other one. And was dishing out dirt on the candidate that they did not like. Saying stuff like "if they get elected this and this is going to happen ect ect" The whole thing made me very uneasy and I felt like walking out of the class. I did not want to get into a political debate in Sunday School and you know how hard it is for me to kept my thought to myself. So my head was about to explode I sat there trying hard not to be a part of it.  I felt it was very inappropriate for Sunday School class. I am considering not going back to the class until after the election. I do not know if I should talk to the Sunday School leader about this or if I should just let it pass.  Do you think that it as okay what happen? What do you think I should do?

Sunday School is no place to debate politics, and they have no right saying that one is better then the other, at least  not in Sunday School class.  Outside of class yes, but not inside of class.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

Update Well Sort Of:

Okay so I attending the Sunday School class today. Sure enough the teacher started in with the political argument once more. Seeing that I was becoming annoyed with it she looked at me and told me not to be mad at her. I calmly said" I am not mad. But I do not think that this stuff should be talked about in Sunday School." To which she said "yes it is right that we talk about this stuff here." Which I thought would be her reaction. 

After Sunday School another women who was in the class with me told that she agreed with me telling the teacher that we shouldn't be talking this political stuff in Sunday School. So anyway that is what went on. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

It appears that the majority of the class is either too apathetic to take a stand with you, OR disagrees with you.  Withdrawing from the class might get someone's attention, and if someone reaches out to you (such as a minister) you might make it clear that you believe Sunday School class is for the express purpose of teaching Scripture and not political debate.  If they agree with you then you need to make it bluntly known that isn't happening in that class.  If they don't agree with you then I'd seek Christian fellowship and edification elsewhere.

If Biblical moral and spiritual principles are being clearly taught then there would be no political debate in a class...it wouldn't be needed.

Guest BacKaran

Ms muffet, I agree. Our classes haven't touched on the election but the fellowship lunch afterwards has! Comparing evil kings to current administration's and Israel's history of obeying and rebelling... Makes for a great lunch talk! And just makes us trust God and His plan all the more!?