• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.92
  • Days Won:  226

What is Christology? Is it important?

The term “christology” (from Greek christos meaning “anointed one” or “Christ”) refers to the study of Christ. It often includes such topics as the preexistence and eternality of Christ, OT prophecies about Christ, Christ’s humanity, deity, and incarnation, as well as the issue of his temptations and sinlessness, his death, resurrection, ascension and exaltation, return, three-fold office, and states. https://bible.org/seriespage/3-christology-jesus-christ. But, you probably already read this.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.92
  • Days Won:  226

17 minutes ago, Rick_Parker said:

The term “christology” (from Greek christos meaning “anointed one” or “Christ”) refers to the study of Christ. It often includes such topics as the preexistence and eternality of Christ, OT prophecies about Christ, Christ’s humanity, deity, and incarnation, as well as the issue of his temptations and sinlessness, his death, resurrection, ascension and exaltation, return, three-fold office, and states. https://bible.org/seriespage/3-christology-jesus-christ. But, you probably already read this.

Yes Rick, I think it is important to know all we can about our Lord.Jesus Christ is crucial to our salvation.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

What is Christology? Is it important?

Christology is simply "the doctrine of Christ" (2 John 9,10) which is everything that the Bible reveals about Christ from Genesis to Revelation.  

Is it important?  It is more than important.  It is CENTRAL to everything else.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,760
  • Content Per Day:  5.27
  • Days Won:  115

10 minutes ago, Yowm said:

There you go.

Some approach Scripture from a theocentric (God centered) perspective and some from a Christocentric (Christ centered) perspective.

As an example the Calvinists tend to the former and the Lutherans with the latter.

If someone studies from a Theocentric perspective, it should also include Christology.  If they just study Christology, which there are Jesus only groups, this would ignore the Father and the Holy Spirit, wouldn't it?

5 hours ago, OneLight said:

If they just study Christology, which there are Jesus only groups, this would ignore the Father and the Holy Spirit, wouldn't it?

One cannot really study the doctrine of Christ apart from the doctrine of God.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,760
  • Content Per Day:  5.27
  • Days Won:  115

59 minutes ago, Ezra said:

One cannot really study the doctrine of Christ apart from the doctrine of God.

Oh, I agree, and sort of the reason for my post, but there have been those who follow only "the words in red", or Jesus words only.  Yup, cults, and that was addressed but Yowm.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,190
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Jesus came to reveal the Father and did and said only what the Father revealed to Him.  So to study the Christ is to study the Father through the Son.  Since they and the Spirit are One God, the Living God, we recognize the Spirit because He is the Spirit of Messiah as well as Spirit of the Father.  The Spirit opens our eyes to understand Scripture and glorifies the Son even as the Son glorifies the Father.  

But I understand what Yowm is saying.  Calvinism emphasizes the sovereignty of God.  Luther emphasized the redemption, God's love for the whole world, being the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe. Phil. 4:10  Both contain truth--they both contain God's Word, but the word is approached differently.  Calvin emphasized salvation by grace, which is very true.  Luther emphasized salvation by faith, which is also very true.  Luther had been deceived by salvation by works to the point that he wanted to kick James out of the Bible when he discovered the the just shall live by his faith. (But it is true that true faith produces works of love in thanksgiving as Christ lives in us.)    

There are few things that make my spirit soar or blesses me more than seeing Christ in Scriptures.  

5 hours ago, Willa said:

But I understand what Yowm is saying.  Calvinism emphasizes the sovereignty of God.  Luther emphasized the redemption, God's love for the whole world, being the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.

All the more reason to focus on the Scriptures themselves (as opposed to various theologies)  since they provide the proper balance. Our Christology begins with Genesis 1:1 which leads directly to John 1:1. One of the best ways to examine these Scriptures is to study Nave's Topical Bible (KJV), which is purely Scripture. Also, The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Christology as far as Jesus is concerned is as he defined it.....

True and False Disciples

21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

It seems that defining Christ in the way that people thought from a doctrinal point of view, from the head space of man, has also categorised those very same people as the many who prophesied to know him all too well, yet failed to make his cut in the heavenly numbers. Shame!

Edited by Defending the Name