• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Posted 1 minute ago (edited) · 

ok yesterday I had a convo with a group of people about god. I didn't initiative it , it started out about something totally different and just led up to God . So one dude didnt believe in the spirit of god... And that amazed me..his thing was being more concerns with facts: Like what was the first book of the bible, the fact its been translated so many different times and theres missing books....

but I asked, if all we have is a breathe in us-- what did Jesus come to save? And he couldn't answer that...

anyway, I keep replaying it in my mind..bc this was sooo off guard for me, I wasn't prepared... I'm still healing myself from church hurt... And ..idk I just felt like ...could have been someone else, plus I wasn't there to convert anyone... In still trying to keep myself saved...basically I'm saying I'm not perfect... I just wish it hadn't occurred because I wasn't ready.
---------------------

thanks you guys for all the kind answers BC I was seriously replaying everything in my mind ...but like one said.. I cant save anyone...thats the holy spirits job.. Not mine and he'll draw people to himself when hes ready.

Edited by Sailingsoul
wanted to add more information

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

so many time people will criticize the authenticity of the Bible, I will ask them "Have you read it?" if they say no, I tell them to read the Gospel of John first. There is no clever argument we can offer that will make some one believe that Bible is true-- it is the Holy Spirit that will do that. If you have had a discussion about the Bible and some one walks away saying its not true- do not feel like you have failed- Believing the Bible is Gods word is a gift from the Holy Spirit- just be a faithful witness and trust God for the outcome

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,013
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

apologetics is such a wonderful journey in The Word of God.... I believe we should be obedient to Scripture not for self considerations but that we may be other to the use of God... what I am saying is by making God's Word more important than the elements here to keep us alive-> we are able to absorb the Scripture to utilize as The Holy Spirit directs. It is an amazing witness of God in us when we do all that is possible for us to do then turn to God insufficient in ourselves in broken contriteness leading to a yearning dependence upon God to finish in us 'The Perfect Will' be done :thumbsup: Love, Steven

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,027
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

5 hours ago, Sailingsoul said:

I just wish it hadn't occurred because I wasn't ready.

When you asked a question he could not answer did it ever occur to you that the question came from the Holy Spirit and might make him look into things ending up in turning on that Gospel light in his mind....

Never ever wish something like that hadn't occurred for you don't know if that the question you asked might end up with the guys salvation.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

6 hours ago, Sailingsoul said:

I just wish it hadn't occurred because I wasn't ready.

This incident should be an incentive for you to be ready. When people try to go off on tangents in order to avoid the truth, just ask them "What do you know about Jesus of Nazareth?"  Chances are they will not know very much, which will give you an opportunity to share the Gospel.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Sailingsoul

Welcome to Worthy,,,,,,yes,it is Holy Spirit that will convict the hearts of men,you play a part in God drawing them unto Himself but not any part(more or less) than anyone else......the thing is that some do the planting,some do a little watering and others do a little more & a little more & so on......God uses each of us in a very special,personal & unique way,just be grateful to be a part of that and this opportunity now prompts you to learn & study more,,,,,,you said only what you were lead to say,,,,that is ALWAYS ENOUGH,never add or take away .....just be a willing vessel & Praise the Lord!!!           With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,172
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Sailingsoul,

Now we are all in the `school of the Holy Spirit.` He was not `caught off guard,` but is showing you your next `lesson,` if you know what I mean. (I was a teacher -:D) So..... the Holy Spirit is revealing certain things to you, I believe -

- life questions come up in everyday conversations now.

- & what do you need to take part in them.

There are actually only about 5 basic life questions that people want to know, so that is very helpful & each world view has its own way of dealing with these. The world view at the moment is about `spiritual evolution.` I hope to write about this in my blog after I finish the book of revelation this year.

A key to helping people is to ask questions (as you did) to get them to think, to question their world view. In the past it has been to present the 4 spiritual laws & try to `save` people, or ask them to a meeting. However our `job,` is to help people to think about what they believe. When they see difficulties with their view then, & only then, they may like to hear from you.

Marilyn. 

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

I don't understand in what contest you mean by "The Spirit of God." My reasoning is this example:

In any law there is the written word of that law, which lawyers debate in trying to promote their side on any issue and then there is the spirit of that law, which is the reasoning the makers of that law had in creating it.  Do you mean he Holy Spirit?

The reason I ask this is because there are so many people out there who can't grasp the idea of who God is so they reference him in their minds as someone without authority. I don't know who you were talking to, but those who I've talked to about God get stuck on this issue and come at everything from the mindset of "Who the hack does he think he is to do what The Bible said he did?"  My usual response is that If they don't believe in God, why do they believe what is  referenced in The Bible? x

People have, many times spoken about the circular argument that The Bible says Good exists because it is The Word of God, but in reality, they are stuck on the idea of faith.  They think faith is a religious thing, but we all have faith. Even Atheists have faith, but their faith is do to their understanding.  I asked one guy, if he didn't have faith, why does he do his laundry the day before he needs to wear those clothes. He does so, because he has faith that he will live to see the new day and be wearing those clothes.

They usually come back with the idea that they were used to living and just assumed that it would continue and I came back that we do the same, we just refrance someone else for that day as they reference science.

They also bring up the fact that they can't verify him through Science and I come back with the fact that a short time ago we couldn't verify the existence of Atoms either. They just needed the technology to build the equipment to see one.  The main thing I try to place in the minds of Athiest is that many of them use science as an excuse instead of a reason to disbelieve in God.

Many are just have such a build up of rage about what they call  the wrongs of the past, they simply dismiss God, because they dismiss us as a part of the pattern that lead our country to sin against their own ideals. 

As for The Bible being constructed the way it was and the criteria that was used in deciding which books were included, I would sugest you do some research on that, so you could formulate your own defense of that.  You need to understand the manner in which these scholars went about this is and with that knowledge, The Holy Spirit will guide you in speaking the words needed to make the greatest impact of those listening. You can start here:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/canon.cfm

Where many of us make mistakes in defending Christianity is that we panic in certain situations, where we desperately try to search or minds for the answers, instead of placing our minds at rest and letting the Holy Spirit enter into us. The Holy Spirit, is the Helper Christ spoke about  when he said that he was sending us a helper.  I am also certain this is what was referenced by the speaking in tongues.  I don't think in the Bible that these people were babbling as I've seen some of the you tube videos have shown, but the Holy Spirit gave them the words to use to spread the word of God.

I don't believe that anything happens for nothing and that you missed any opportunity to minister to this person. I believe that God sent you a message that you need to respond to. I believe that it wasn't yet time for those answers were to be given, because there was someone or more who wasn't ready for the answers and time was needed for those who needed these the most prepare themselves to accept and appreciate what the Holy spirit had to say.

I believe that you should take this time to look into these matters, because I'm sure that God has appointed you to address this at a later date and is preparing you for that event.

It is the same thing as why God took the Israelite's on such a wavering pattern when he brought them out of Egypt. He did so to to strengthen them bodily for the conflicts that he knew lay ahead of them and to weed out those who would weaken their confidence in themselves and in God.

http://www.bible.ca/archeology/bible-archeology-exodus-route-travel-times-distances-days.htm

There is a wise old saying that when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. That doesn't mean that a teacher will suddenly appear out of nowhere. It means when the student is ready to accept knowledge that he will be open to receive it.

If you look around here, you will see how many times the words of those among us has impressed each other with knowledge and wisdom. This was not done by use because were are such great speakers, but that the Spirit of God is with us and placed to right words in our mouths to make ourselves understood by each other.  I can attest that most of the times that I had to edit my posts here is because I personally spoke words in anger or out of the confines of my ear end out of my own arrogance and childishness.

I'm 58 years old, but every now and then that whole "I'm going to take my toys and go home" attitude races into my head. I do a tantrum, through my pacifier at the screen and start turning off my computer, so I can crawl up in a ball and cry out at the world I can't control.  I forgot about God and everything in a fit of rage over the baggage I've yet to relinquish to God and, once again have made a fool out of myself.  BTW. Signing back on sheepishly is one of the hardest things I could do outside getting my math scores from my teacher in high school. lol.

Take care and God bless you.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 10/27/2016 at 9:13 AM, woundeddog said:

so many time people will criticize the authenticity of the Bible, I will ask them "Have you read it?" if they say no, I tell them to read the Gospel of John first. There is no clever argument we can offer that will make some one believe that Bible is true-- it is the Holy Spirit that will do that. If you have had a discussion about the Bible and some one walks away saying its not true- do not feel like you have failed- Believing the Bible is Gods word is a gift from the Holy Spirit- just be a faithful witness and trust God for the outcome

I know a man who is gay.  He said he refuses to read the Bible.  I believe he knows what he will find in there not to mention he is a Catholic and I believe at one time they were forbidden to read scripture, am I right? 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

1 hour ago, RustyAngeL said:

I believe at one time they were forbidden to read scripture, am I right? 

I think you are correct- I know there was huge resistance when the early reformers started translating the Bible into the language of the common people-- translators where persecuted and even martyred so we could have the word--- the "political Church" was very adverse to us knowing what God said, because they knew it would liberate the average person from the "Churchs" authority~~~~~