IGNORED

Where is God and where are His Promises - Unanswered prayer

cherubim,

I lift you up now for healing, in the name of Jesus. May God send a peace, a calmness to your spirit. It does indeed hurt the most when fellow Christians give us a rough time.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/27/2016 at 11:43 PM, cherubim said:

I have been dealing with things weighing me down - prayers left unanswered, and I wonder where God is and if He is sane at times.  I've had some bad things happen to my family and I - including being harmed by so-called "Christians."  My experiences can't be unique.  How do others handle this? 

I don't think God leaves any prayer unanswered, but it might not be answered in the way you think. God answers in the way we need, not what we assume to be the best path for us in life. It can be so hard to be objective about a situation when we're right in the middle of it, but God sees everything so only He can answer a prayer in the way it needs to be answered, with love and with a complete overview of your life. When I pray, I tend to only ask for God's will to be done, I hardly ever make my prayers specific, or I might ask for guidance and help to change my way of thinking. To me it's part of surrendering my will and let the Lord do the work, but I understand some people find that hard.

It doesn't matter if you pray night and day, and do every other thing possible to be a 'good Christian', bad things happen and will continue to happen. that's because we sinned in the Garden of Eden, so we must pay the price until we enter into our eternal lives. I must point out though, if there wasn't anything bad in the world, how would we know what things like love and happiness are, if we don't have anything to compare them with? it's the comparison that matters. Just know that every single one of us who have ever lived have suffered, so we know we can offer up that suffering to Jesus and He will bare it for us.

The other thing you mentioned is harsh treatment by Christians, and I think I can speak for everyone here, and that's we've ALL been treated harshly at some point by those persons who profess their Christianity but in reality they're just hiding behind the Lord, and don't live in the spirit of Jesus. The thing is, they're not God, so you mustn't confuse the two very separate issues. God did not treat you badly, human beings did. So the answer (at least in my case) is to speak to the pastor if the situation becomes unmanageable, or move churches until you can find the sort of people who make you glad to worship with them. 

I hope you find what you're seeking, to me the only way is through prayer. He will answer you, He always does.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  267
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Your response is well-thought-out.  I have a very difficult time believing that God sits back and permits bad things to happen because this is a sinful world. I know the verse: "In the world you will have tribulation, but fear not because I have overcome the world."  and "All who will love godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution."  and "A servant is not above his master, if they persecuted me they will persecute you."  

I am a living example of these verses - yet I hold to: "Therefore, come boldly to the throne of grace to find grace and help in time of need." (My favorite verse)  But I go to the throne again and again and again - yet my prayers don't avail.  Since I was damaged in a medical procedure, my husband has turned from God.  We have been put under unbearable pressure, as he goes to work and comes home half-days to care for me. He just left to ride his motorcycle - which I've asked him not to do because someone we know was just killed on one.  He still goes. I have bone-chilling fears.  If anything happened to him I'd be alone and unable to care for myself.  My children don't care all that much - they're busy.  I've heard from others that this entire generation is a mess. I think we must have made mistakes raising them.  They're all decent people, but don't reach out to me to help.

My husband is weary caring for me.  I will never go into a nursing home - those places are despicable. My mother-in-law was in one and it reeked of urine.  I would rather be dead. I watched them not medicate her and had to watch her gasp for every breath. I got the nurse and told them to medicate her.  She smiled as if I'd asked for a cup of tea - and told me the medication would be in that night. I don't think God approves of that.  Some Christians don't believe in Right-to-die laws, but I'm a firm believer in them.  I am appalled that Focus on the Family declares the laws ungodly, as if they are God's spokesperson.  I had to sit and hold my mother as she turned progressively darker from cancer, and died a horrible death.

We attended a church I hated - but went because my husband liked the people who ran it. I'd heard bad things about the family. They were ungodly realtors who rented my son and his friends a home that turned out to be uninspected. My son attempted to open a window that had been painted shut, and his hand went through the glass, severing a tendon in his wrist. The realtor insisted he would pay everything and to not sue.  I erroneously believed the verse "do not take another believer before the ungodly" - and my husband, completely hoodwinked by them, refused to go with me or insist our son see a lawyer.

As soon as the 2-year statute-of-limitation was up, the realtor dropped every bit of help for medical care - and would not pay a cent for  care for my son's wrist. He had no insurance. I got a lawyer and we attempted to file suit, but I learned just how corrupt some courts are.  The "Christian" realtor hired a lawyer who went after my throat because I took over the legal case.  The ugliest things ensued. I refused to back down and fought back, but we lost. Now I can't stand to look at my son's wrist.  I have such a difficult time with my husband for believing those ungodly 'Christians' over me. I did eventually see God's judgement on them. They were publicly humiliated in the "Kiddie Kollege" scam and lost their business. But it is galling that they still continue to hoodwink people in their busy "church" which some believe is a front for making money.

There are multiple things such as the above.  I've known good Christians as well. I have been praying over and over for my daughter to meet a godly man. She is a highly beautiful woman, intelligent, educated - yet is divorced with no family. It hasn't happened. Every day I wake I am burdened by her being alone. She's dated but said all the good men are taken.  Then, I see evil people married and reproducing - populating this world with evil children who follow their evil parents.  It boggles my mind.

The other churches we've attended have been okay - but most are fake. Those who are the "popular" people in church get attention and adulation. I've never sought that - it disgusts me. I try to always be real.. I've watched certain people in the church praised by the pastor to stroke their ego, asked to put money into a collection "so children in the church can attend Christian school" yet we were never offered money to help pay for our children to attend.  We were asked to contribute to a bible teacher's "retirement gift" yet my husband and I have struggled with my medical bills, and not once were we offered a dime. When I finally did make it to church one Sunday, a woman spoke publicly in church and thanked everyone for the cards they sent when she had a cyst in her neck removed.  Yet I have had serious surgery and did not receive one card. Churches are no different from the world. They remind me of the junior high popularity contests. It reminds me of God's judgement on the churches in Revelations.  I never delved into a study of Revelations, so I may interpret them inaccurately.

So I have been on a precipice of facing God, praying for Him to heal me or take me. I've grown weary of the world, the problems, the church -that is more like the world than the church based on truth.  I am trying to see what God is doing. I've been forced into living a "virtual life" now and am trying to see what God wants from me.  I like to look at each situation as happening for a reason - not "because we live in a sinful world." But the days and hours and moments are long, the struggles hard.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

I would say that I have anger that I'm trying to get rid of. It's hard when someone betrays you so badly. The one who points out the problem, isn't the problem. But I struggle to keep anger out of my soul.

Here is an issue that I question.  Maybe it can motivate other believers to take action. In spite of my own harsh issues, I've been speaking with a disabled doctor. What she told me alarmed me.  I hope those who are healthy can get involved with the foster care system and the atrocities being committed against children. Here is what she said:  
I have spoken with and observed Foster Parents who made trouble for the biological parent(s) with lies to keep the teen with them so they could continue getting money. I've also seen psychologists lie so they could stay employed "working to help the kid". I'm constantly astounded how greedy and self serving too many people can be. I was with a bf with a son the State decided to try Foster care while the Dad changed his work hours to be home more (the 2 sons' Mom died of cancer many years before). The younger son had less memories .. Anyway, that Foster Mom told me on the phone she had no intentions of letting the 16 yo son return to his dad because she wanted the $1,700 per month -- that was in 1998 in MN. The dad was not abusive. He was too lenient.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

2 minutes ago, cherubim said:

I would say that I have anger that I'm trying to get rid of. It's hard when someone betrays you so badly. The one who points out the problem, isn't the problem. But I struggle to keep anger out of my soul.

Then read the links that I gave you. Anger is a form of insanity that will push love out of us and remove the link we have with God. Why do you think that forgiveness is part and parcel of Christianity. It doesn't just remove the burden of those you speak of but it also removes the damnation you harbor for trusting them in the first place.  Trust and faith go hand in hand and who is to say how far that mistrust has gone within your heart.

I don't understand what you mean?  "It also removes the damnation you harbor for trusting them in the first place..."  Do you mean anger at myself for trusting them? And "trust and faith go hand in hand...and mistrust in your heart."

I have been working on keeping anger out of my soul - it's a struggle. I'm aware of it and work on it. I do all I can. It's not an issue I ignore. I would say I am mistrustful of others now that I've been badly burned.  It hasn't stopped me from still trying to make connections.  I think if I was totally mistrustful I wouldn't be here.  It has made me avoid the "churchy" atmosphere of phonies who jockey for positions of leadership in churches - although now I can't attend anyway.  The church today is a mess - anyone who can't see that or own up to it is not being truthful.  One thing about me: I am truthful. I see that I hold to the truth when many do not.  And many times people don't like it.  "Men hate the truth...they love darkness rather than light because their deeds are evil..."  I've seen where family members and some others have tried to shut me up, attack me, all because I spoke the truth that they did not want to face.  I have one person I trust, who is godly and truthful.

I spoke with a college safety organization before my daughter left for college. His sister had been murdered on a college campus. I said: "I guess you have less of an issue with Christian colleges hiding data about crime on their campus."  He said:  "Actually Christian colleges are worse because they don't want to admit there's a problem."

That made me sick.  It's a rebuke on the state of Christians today - they are too like the world. 

And I think the evil one wants it that way.  It is frightening to me that the truth is not held to. That churches act the opposite of what Christ laid down about not treating some better than others.  I saw this blatantly practiced in churches, then they get up and teach the bible. It makes me wonder if many who say they believe are satan's minions in disguise.  My one sister claims how spiritual she is, and acts superior to others, as if God conferred special wisdom on her, yet she doesn't practice basic principles to "not associate with a gossip."  She supports and encourages another evil sister who is a despicable "Christian" gossip.

As far as you would say I have anger - I wouldn't call it anger. I would call it chagrin that I don't see much truth practiced among believers. There are some - I see that as well.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  6,852
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

It's certainly hard to hear of all your pain. Know that you are in my prayers!

There are definitely grave issues with modern churches and Christianity. Precious few churches, it seems, still really teach and practice the Bible's truths. There are a lot of false prophets, a lot of wolves in sheep's clothing out there. I would certainly advise you to keep searching for a good body of believers to join, if you are able. If not, SermonAudio.com and numerous others places online house troves of sound doctrine and good teaching. Fill yourself with the Word and with good teaching each day.

I certainly won't tell you to stop asking God to heal you or relieve you, but you might also consider asking Him that, if it's not His will to heal you, then to show you what He wants to do with your pain. Ask him to reveal to you why He's allowing it to linger, what He wants you to learn from it, what He wants you to do about and with it. The disciples rejoiced and praised God for the privilege of suffering because of their faith. They certainly couldn't have known all the reasons why, but now, thousands of years later, we look back at them and what they went through, and it encourages us to see their strong faith, and it helps us know that what we believe is true.