Apostle paul gh45

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Recently I learned while speaking to a LDS believer that they believe in the willful worship of angels.  I do consider the LDS to be a cult as they deviate from the GodHead.  But I have love for them and am not hostile and will try to minister to their needs and confusion if at all possible.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,437
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  0

I have met and spoken with many people from LDS and JW and I have to say they are really decent people.

As somone has pointed out above there are many decent people in these organizations who are decieved.

But, yes, they are cults because of some of their beliefs.

Contrast this with the members of the MAson's and I would say that the general membership are. much more aware of what is going on in their organization and many appeared to be be strongly anti Christian in my experience. On the other hand there were some who thought it was just a "Drinking Club" and that all the weird ceremonies were a sort of in joke initiation.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,545
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, may I suggest  a resource?

Walter Martin wrote extensively about the cults.  Two books, "The Maze of Mormonism" And  "the Kingdom of the Cults" might provide a solidly presented argument for you to work from in order to have a fuller basis to  then do your own  Bible research with  prayer,  thought, and study. So that you will know for yourself better how to spot the counterfeit from the genuine, and then decide for yourself whether  "The Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ" are of the saints in Christ Jesus or not.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

3 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Walter Martin wrote extensively about the cults.  Two books, "The Maze of Mormonism" And  "the Kingdom of the Cults" might provide a solidly presented argument for you to work from in order to have a fuller basis to  then do your own  Bible research with  prayer,  thought, and study.

I knew Dr. Martin, and am pretty familiar with what he taught and beleived. On the idea of what a cult is, he was wise to give the term a definition, what he meant when he used it. If we do not have a specific definition, then we cannot say yes or no to the question, is Mormonism a cult. Well, we can, but without a definition, we cannot make a distinction of category beteen Mormonism, and mainstream Christianity.

For example, a standard dictionary says:

cult  kəlt/  noun

a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object

I attend a baptist church. There we worship Jesus. Since Jesus is a particular figure, it is permissible to say that Baptists are cultists. Walter Martin, was a baptist, but he would hardly define himself as a cultist. Therefore, he provided a difinition of the term as he used it, and would typically refer to Mormonism, as a non-Christian Cult.

In his book the Kindom of the Cults, he said a cult is "a group of people gathered about a specific persons interpretation of the bible... from a theological view point, the cults contain not only a few major deviations from historic Christianity. They paradoxically, they continue to insist that they are entitled to be classified as Christians." 

In his book "The New Cults", Dr. Martin defined a cult as a “group religious, in nature, which surrounds a leader, or a group which either denies or misinterprets essential biblical doctrines.”  

Frequently I had heard him say, that those in cults, always deny the diety of Jesus Christ.

If we work with definitions like that, and agree to them, then we can assert that Mormonism is a cult. If we do not get on the same page with definitions, then we are not communicating. Mormonism is NOT Christian, it as much as the deny the doctrines of orthodox Christianity, as the Church has learned historically, from the pages of scipture, the Bible.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "Is Mormonism properly defined as a cult?"

Answer:
Much controversy has occurred in recent years regarding how Bible-believing Christians should view the teachings of the Mormon Church. Mormons call themselves “Christians,” and they take exception to Mormonism being called a “cult.”

First, we should clearly define cult. One general definition found in dictionaries defines a cult as “a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.” According to this wide-ranging definition, any religious group could be labeled as a cult. However, Christians have often defined a cult more narrowly, using a definition such as “a religious group that denies one or more of the fundamentals of biblical truth.” A cult holds views that are unorthodox and spurious. It claims to be part of a religion yet denies essential truths of that religion.

When considered in light of this narrower definition, does Mormonism fit the characteristics of a cult? The technical answer is “yes.” Some Mormon teachings are unorthodox, and the claims of Joseph Smith are spurious. Mormonism claims to be part of Christianity yet denies some of Christianity’s core truths. For example, Mormons reject belief in the Trinity (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 372, Articles of Faith, p. 35); hold to an unbiblical view of the afterlife (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345-354.); and teach that Jesus is a created being (Journal of Discourses, vol. 8, p. 115), that salvation is by faith and works (2 Nephi 25:23, Articles of Faith, p. 92), and that the Book of Mormon is Scripture in addition to the Bible (History of the Church, 4:461).

Despite recent attempts to reposition Mormonism as evangelical Christianity—or to at least make the two seem compatible—the Mormon Church continues to hold to its aberrant teachings. No one can claim to be a Christian yet hold a vastly divergent view of salvation, God, Jesus, and Scripture. A Mormon may claim to follow Christ, but it is a very different “Christ” than what is found in the Bible.

Another question remains. Even if Mormonism can properly be defined as a cult, should it be called a cult? This question addresses not only teaching but association, because the word cult carries a negative connotation. For example, a wide variety of religious cults exist, and some cultists have performed violent acts or led people to make unhealthy, irrational choices. Is it helpful, especially when dealing with Mormons personally, to call Mormonism a “cult”?

It is unwise to use derogatory terms when referring to other religions. Words like cult are generally unhelpful when referring to Mormonism. Even if its teachings can be defined, theologically, as cultic, based on a certain definition, the negative connotation of the word remains. Christians are called to reach Mormons with the true Gospel of Jesus Christ (John 3:16), and the use of the term cult is a distraction. This is not a matter of compromise, but of speaking the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). It is sufficient for Christians to clearly state that Mormon teachings are incompatible with biblical Christianity. These differences are important. Christians should pray for and reach out to Mormons with the message that salvation is a free gift of God, apart from works (Ephesians 2:8–9).

https://gotquestions.org/Mormonism-cult.html

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,061
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Unless you are familiar with the rituals that go on inside the temple which not even all Mormons are allowed to attend, there is no way for any of us to know if it is a cult or not....    Females are allowed to enter the temple only to get married and thier funeral.

We really have no idea unless someone wants to share who has been there.....  

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,061
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

What goes on the their churches is nothing like what goes on in the temple from what I have been told.  

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 11/7/2016 at 0:25 AM, Openly Curious said:

Recently I learned while speaking to a LDS believer that they believe in the willful worship of angels.  I do consider the LDS to be a cult as they deviate from the GodHead.  But I have love for them and am not hostile and will try to minister to their needs and confusion if at all possible.

Yes the LDS church is a cult, but you are right, we are to love them and show them the Jesus in us.