• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

What does it mean to be "under the law"?  I don't see a thread on it and as much as the phrase is used I figured it could be explained from the bible pretty easily.  Thanks and God bless.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

46 minutes ago, Remnantrob said:

What does it mean to be "under the law"?  I don't see a thread on it and as much as the phrase is used I figured it could be explained from the bible pretty easily.  Thanks and God bless.

Under the law would mean, being under authority of the law. Which would mean, law has authority to punish us when we don't do things as per law. Just like how a kid is under a teacher. When we say no longer under the law, it does not mean law is weakened and nature of law has changed. When a kid passes the class and moves on, the teacher is not fired! It's just that kid is under authority of another teacher. Old teacher is still the same.

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Remnantrob said:

Paul uses the terms "Under the law" and "under grace"  to denote our standing with God.  Those who are "under the law" are those who are unsaved.    "Under Grace"  refers to believers who have trusted in Jesus for salvation.

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

Under the law_- God's favor comes via law keeping.

scriptures that would support this view?  

31 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Galatians 2:21 KJVS
[21] I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 3:19,21 KJVS
[19] Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. [21] Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

Could you break down for us how those verses mean under the law please? 

13 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Paul was addressing and correcting those who sought favor with God via the law

Thanks Yowm.

Edited by Remnantrob

The scripture that always comes to my mind when I hear this phrase is Romans 3:19

19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

I understand being under the law as someone who is guilty before God and I'm inclined to agree with shiloh and ravindran.  But I don't see how it goes from those definitions to being used to describe someone that keeps the law?  I get the part about keeping the law to be saved but if you keep the law as the fruit of obedience, I can't understand why being lawful would be equated to being under the law.  

Also as Yowm quoted in Galatians 3:21 the laws aren't against the promises of God so there is no problem with keeping them, but when you trust in them to save you from your sin then you become "under the law."  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

7 minutes ago, Remnantrob said:

The scripture that always comes to my mind when I hear this phrase is Romans 3:19

I understand being under the law as someone who is guilty before God and I'm inclined to agree with shiloh and ravindran.  But I don't see how it goes from those definitions to being used to describe someone that keeps the law?  I get the part about keeping the law to be saved but if you keep the law as the fruit of obedience, I can't understand why being lawful would be equated to being under the law.  

The verse says the purpose of the law is to make us conscious of our sin and not to make us righteous. Until we are under grace of God (through faith), we are under the law. And we are subject to condemnation because of disobedience to law. Once we are under grace of God, law no loner condemns us. When faith is not there, we are still under law. And we are bound to law.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Being under the law means not living under Grace.  It sounds simple but that is how I look at it.  I know several people who live totally under the law, they are miserable.  They have no joy only pointing fingers at people who do don't live under the old law.  They follow dietary laws, Sabbath laws and tells those of that don't live under the laws that we are in danger of not going to Heaven.  In other words, according to them my salvation hinges on what I do in following the law, not what Jesus on the cross.  Very sad.