• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

1 hour ago, HisFirst said:

But from the perspective of say an athiest who prays when in a difficult situation, it begs me to ask my original question...to "whom"..?

Well, when I was an Atheist, I made a few "foxhole prayers". In times of desperation, we tend to reachout even agains all odds. "God, if you get me out of this problem, I will follow you the rest of my life!" I have made such prayers, but while I believed I was sincere, it was not long that before I failed in my promise. There was on time though, where I was again, in that hard place, in need of rescue. This time though, it was a bit different. I had been strugling in my atheism, having become comvinced, that being an ateist, was intelectually dishonest, in my efforts to prove my ateism correct, and religions false and superstitious, I kept bumping into the fact that my atheism was not based on supportive, scientific evidence, and I had become an agnostic.

On this particular foxhole prayer, I told God that I knew that I have failed in my promises in the past. I knew that I seemed to lack the ability to stick it out. I knew that I was a failure, and had no right to ask anything of Him. I told Him, that I could not make such promises, because I knew, that I would only fail again. Still, I threw myself on His mercy, that I desired to believe, I desired to be able to commit to Him, but I could not trust myself. I just asked for His help, in whatever way He saw fit.

After that, I came to understand the gospel, yet no one had led me to the Lord, I had not had the gospel made clear to me to that poing, but God began to send people into my life, an I was able to listen and hear, in ways I was not able to before. What a difference there is, with God's help.

So, who was I praying to? I did not know, I was praying to a just in case God, that I beleived might exist, I guess.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

1 minute ago, kwikphilly said:

Lot's to think about Mega,,,,really good stuff,I agree wholeheartedly that "knowing" us is meant in an Intimate Relationship ........excellent discussion but then again it is always a pleasure Brother                                       Love ya,Kwik

Thank you Kwik, and as always, it is a pleasure to receive the encouragment that you so readily dispense. You are a blessing to many here!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, HisFirst said:

God is omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent.  He hear, sees and know all things.  And thus if he has all those attributes, then he hear everyone request and knows the heart.  How he chooses to respond is in his court and i don't think we really would have the answer to that.  This is where our privilege is limited with him, if that was so, we would know many future things that we don't.  

5 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Thanks Warrior ?

My question was more leaning to the "Who are they praying to" -  since they have declared they don't believe in God - 

rather than "Does God hear their prayers."?

HisFirst.   Well, let's first define "prayer".   According to "web bible encyclopedia" prayer is defined as below

prayer Prayer is conversation with God; the intercourse of the soul with God, not in contemplation or meditation, but in direct address to him. Prayer may be oral or mental, occasional or constant, ejaculatory or formal. It is a “beseeching the Lord” (Ex. 32:11); “pouring out the soul before the Lord” (1 Sam. 1:15); “praying and crying to heaven” (2 Chr. 32:20); “seeking unto God and making supplication” (Job 8:5); “drawing near to God” (Ps. 73:28); “bowing the knees” (Eph. 3:14).

Prayer presupposes a belief in the personality of God, his ability and willingness to communicate with us, his personal control of all things, and of all his creatures and all their actions.

Read more at: http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/prayer.html

So then, if this person has the qualifying attributes to the above, his prayer goes up to God.  If not, then it is like a man shooting a gun at a target, he must focus on the object he is shooting at, or the bullets would be all strays or  useless, or as the saying goes, grasping at straws. This is my interpretation of the above statement.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

10 hours ago, warrior12 said:

HisFirst.   Well, let's first define "prayer".   According to "web bible encyclopedia" prayer is defined as below

prayer Prayer is conversation with God; the intercourse of the soul with God, not in contemplation or meditation, but in direct address to him. Prayer may be oral or mental, occasional or constant, ejaculatory or formal. It is a “beseeching the Lord” (Ex. 32:11); “pouring out the soul before the Lord” (1 Sam. 1:15); “praying and crying to heaven” (2 Chr. 32:20); “seeking unto God and making supplication” (Job 8:5); “drawing near to God” (Ps. 73:28); “bowing the knees” (Eph. 3:14).

Prayer presupposes a belief in the personality of God, his ability and willingness to communicate with us, his personal control of all things, and of all his creatures and all their actions.

Read more at: http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/prayer.html

So then, if this person has the qualifying attributes to the above, his prayer goes up to God.  If not, then it is like a man shooting a gun at a target, he must focus on the object he is shooting at, or the bullets would be all strays or  useless, or as the saying goes, grasping at straws. This is my interpretation of the above statement.

Thanks Warrior?

I'm not sure what category of prayer these would be in, but I understand completely what you have presented above.?

15 hours ago, Davida said:

Yes, I did believe God existed, but was raised in a culturally Christian family, but not saved as my denomination didn't preach the Bible as inerrant word of God & didn't preach the full gospel. Don't know if an atheist would pray but perhaps an agnostic.

Hi Davida,

That's interesting that your denomination didn't preach the full Gospel or its inerrancy.

I can see how agnostics would pray.

Atheists - well, I have heard of it happening - just wish some non believers would respond to this thread for a discussion ?

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

On 11/6/2016 at 6:54 PM, HisFirst said:

I hope I'm in the right section?

This question is primarily to non believers but when unbelievers say they they have prayed for a sick loved one or whatever the case may be, where and who is this prayer going to?

Thanks?

It's kind of a toss up if any unbelievers would know or not,

as many bible readers don't even know

what prayers YHWH declares HE does not hear nor answer.

Not just a verse or 2 here or there,  but throughout - i.e. HIS OWN PLEASURE TO DO, HIS CHARACTER, HIS WORD (WHICH HE GUARDS even more than HE GUARDS HIS  OWN NAME. ) .

Anyway,   there's many people whose prayers are never heard nor answered ,  and who never repent of serving demons. (Revelation, et al)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/6/2016 at 7:54 PM, HisFirst said:

I hope I'm in the right section?

This question is primarily to non believers but when unbelievers say they they have prayed for a sick loved one or whatever the case may be, where and who is this prayer going to?

Thanks?

I guess I don't get the connection that is being made here. And I have known many an atheist and even delved into that myself for a spel. 

Why would those who do not believe in God, or any deity, pray to what their atheism first declares does not exist ? 

• 2 weeks later...

On 24 December 2016 at 0:07 PM, Blue Lotus said:

I guess I don't get the connection that is being made here. And I have known many an atheist and even delved into that myself for a spel. 

Why would those who do not believe in God, or any deity, pray to what their atheism first declares does not exist ? 

Hi Blue Lotus,

And that's the baffling thing - but it happens.

I'm not talking about prayer time or what we as Christians would class as prayers but the prayer a non-believer usually utters in the face of danger, crisis etc.

Who are these prayers going to? (Back to the original question).

or it could be as OmegaM suggested, "just in case" distress call.

Edited by HisFirst

8 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

I know I heard the voice of the Lord calling me, and speaking to me... teaching my heart about who He is ... for 3 years, before I finally said yes to Him.  I was 10 years old... daily, He would speak to me... and I'd tell Him, "Not today... not now... maybe when I get older, I will serve You... "  ... daily, He would tell me He wanted me to serve Him, and that the life I was in wasn't His plan for me.  I was age 13 when I gave my heart to Jesus.  I know, although I was a sinner, He spoke to me, and He heard me.... we had conversation...

So, it may not be "prayer" ... but Holy Spirit deals with the hearts of sinners, He draws them, and speaks to them... and they respond back.... I think that when it comes to the concept of God not hearing the prayer of a sinner, it's more about that He doesn't answer prayers that do not line up with His purpose/will, and the Scripture says that God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to the knowledge of Christ ... we come to Him on His terms, not ours... altho we may think it's our terms, lol ... it's just that we have to be ready to finally surrender our will to His...

Awesome AJ how the HS was communicating with you ??

I'm not that good as others are on Worthy at explaining myself, but I'm not really talking about sinners (who are searching out God/religion) and unanswered prayers - but straight up  athiests who have "prayed" - 

it sounds contradictory but it does happen.

Edited by HisFirst

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Hi Brother Yown

I believe Omegaman answered "why"...from his personal past experience

Well, when I was an Atheist, I made a few "foxhole prayers". In times of desperation, we tend to reachout even agains all odds. "God, if you get me out of this problem, I will follow you the rest of my life!"

I'm sure others have a variety of answers but honestly(& I am interested to hear Megas thoughts on this)I) don't really believe there are any true atheists,I think they ae truly agnostic & though they may believe that they do not believe God exists,deep down inside they know He does....or SOMEONE,SOMETHING Higher than we ourselves is Creator......Whatdya think Mega?                                                                                                  With love-in Christ,Kwik