• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/30/1954

Why would Michal, daughter of Saul and wife of David, have an idol in their household?  I mean "no other gods before me" and "no graven images" immediately come to mind.  Can anyone explain this?

13  Then Michal took the household idol and laid it on the bed with a cover of goat hair placed at its head. Then she covered it with clothes. (ISV)

H8655

Original: תּרפים
Transliteration: terâphı̂ym
Phonetic: ter-aw-feme'
BDB Definition:
idolatry, idols, image(s), teraphim, family idol
a kind of idol used in household shrine or worship
Origin: pl. from H7495
TWOT entry: 2545
Part(s) of speech: Noun Masculine
Strong's Definition: Plural perhaps from H7495; a healer ; Teraphim (singular or plural) a family idol: - idols (-atry), images, teraphim.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Hi, brother.  You and I must be members of the same two forums!  LOL!  :laugh:

I'll repeat here what I told you there this morning:

To be frank, I'd be surprised if she didn't have household idols.

The nation of Israel was wrought with idolatry - from Abraham to Malachi - the sheer volume of rebellion against God by engaging in idolatry is staggering. It's the whole reason the Northern and Southern Kingdoms were invaded and captured by Assyria and Babylon. Idolatry is one of the primary themes in much of the Old Testament.

The things these Hebrew people, who KNEW better, did in the name of other gods is unfathomable. And it's all throughout the pages of the Old Testament.

And we are no different today. We may not raise up Asherah poles, high places, or burn our babies to appease Molech, but we still commit idolatry by raising up sexual immorality as good and virtuous and by slaughtering our babies to appease our own god of self.

The human race is and has always been a grossly idolatrous people.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  11/30/1954

It seems your post is more of an excuse for the idols.....I mean, Saul was annointed of God, Michal was his daughter and David was a man after God's own heart.  How could any of them believe that having idols in their household was OK in Gods sight?  Why Samuel did not condemn them is probably a whole 'nother thread.....;)

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

On 11/7/2016 at 8:30 AM, Jayne said:

Hi, brother.  You and I must be members of the same two forums!  LOL!  :laugh:

I'll repeat here what I told you there this morning:

To be frank, I'd be surprised if she didn't have household idols.

The nation of Israel was wrought with idolatry - from Abraham to Malachi - the sheer volume of rebellion against God by engaging in idolatry is staggering. It's the whole reason the Northern and Southern Kingdoms were invaded and captured by Assyria and Babylon. Idolatry is one of the primary themes in much of the Old Testament.

The things these Hebrew people, who KNEW better, did in the name of other gods is unfathomable. And it's all throughout the pages of the Old Testament.

And we are no different today. We may not raise up Asherah poles, high places, or burn our babies to appease Molech, but we still commit idolatry by raising up sexual immorality as good and virtuous and by slaughtering our babies to appease our own god of self.

The human race is and has always been a grossly idolatrous people.

Lets not forget that money, tv, and so much else can also be a God and many make them so.  Anything we put before God is an idol

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

On 11/7/2016 at 7:14 AM, Civilwarbuff said:

Why would Michal, daughter of Saul and wife of David, have an idol in their household?  I mean "no other gods before me" and "no graven images" immediately come to mind.  Can anyone explain this?

13  Then Michal took the household idol and laid it on the bed with a cover of goat hair placed at its head. Then she covered it with clothes. (ISV)

Did you read the entire chapter you are inquiring about ?.  I think she did not make an idol, but an object to fool the servants or soldiers  of Saul.  She was protecting David from his pursuers.   Maybe the theologians here can correct me or  you sir can . 

1 Samuel 19King James Version (KJV)

16 And when the messengers were come in, behold, there was an image in the bed, with a pillow of goats' hair for his bolster.

17 And Saul said unto Michal, Why hast thou deceived me so, and sent away mine enemy, that he is escaped? And Michal answered Saul, He said unto me, Let me go; why should I kill thee?

I  like the question though, as it commands the reader to go and read again the chapter or book to become reacquainted with the scenes.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

Rachael in Gen. 31 stole her father Laben's gods. Jacob knew nothing about It and when Laben caught up to them in Gilead she hid them. Apparently her and Leah had concerns about an inheritance and Laben considered them foreigners because of marrying Jacob.

They were probably solid gold, covetiousness has always been an integral part of idolatry.

Put to death whatever belongs to your earthly nature; Sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desire and greed. Which is idolatry. (Col. 3:5)

The tenth commandment is , thou shall not covet. I sometimes wonder if its not the key to the other nine.

7 minutes ago, thilipsis said:

Put to death whatever belongs to your earthly nature; Sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desire and greed. Which is idolatry. (Col. 3:5)

Easier said than done in today's world, with all the instant videos and objects to allure and tempt even the sturdy christian believer.  Nevertheless, the teachings and admonitions are there to protect and guide our lives to peruse holiness. 

Hebrews 12King James Version (KJV)

14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

don't know why it did double post or duplicate post.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

1 hour ago, warrior12 said:

Easier said than done in today's world, with all the instant videos and objects to allure and tempt even the sturdy christian believer.  Nevertheless, the teachings and admonitions are there to protect and guide our lives to peruse holiness. 

Hebrews 12King James Version (KJV)

14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

Well with every ad designed to inspire desire it sure is easier said then done. Paul is explicit that the commandment not to covet provoke every kind of a covetous desire (Rom. 7). 

Don't covet other people's cars, spouses or homes. How many times do we do this just driving to work in the morning? We don't erect idols of silver and gold anymore it doesn't mean the equivalent doesn't exist in the common market place that seeks to enslave us all.

Edited by thilipsis

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20