Realove

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I need help! So my partner and i are both christians and were at the stage of our relationship where we want to get married!

The problem is both our parents are non christian and they dont want us to have a simple wedding but yet go with what they want and what kind of wedding they want for us! Knowing we dont have alot of money we still want to pay for the wedding ourselves its completely u conventional and totally different and yes it still cost within the thousands! 

We've talked to out church friends and leaders and they are all for it! So how do we equally honour God and our parents in this situation? 

We are both living away from our homes in different houses and because we want to start our marriage right we dont live together.  They rather us save money buy a house and then get married, they also prefer if we live together than get married but we want to honour God and start our marriage right!

please pray for us and give us advice on what we should do? 

As we both want to honour God and our parenta but above all God :) 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

10 hours ago, Realove said:

I need help! So my partner and i are both christians and were at the stage of our relationship where we want to get married!

The problem is both our parents are non christian and they dont want us to have a simple wedding but yet go with what they want and what kind of wedding they want for us! Knowing we dont have alot of money we still want to pay for the wedding ourselves its completely u conventional and totally different and yes it still cost within the thousands! 

We've talked to out church friends and leaders and they are all for it! So how do we equally honour God and our parents in this situation? 

We are both living away from our homes in different houses and because we want to start our marriage right we dont live together.  They rather us save money buy a house and then get married, they also prefer if we live together than get married but we want to honour God and start our marriage right!

How old are you? Are you a male or a female? The person you want to marry is the opposite sex? You said "partner" so I do not know.  Having parents that are not Christian complicates everything. Isn't this a decision that you and your friend should be making and not your parents? You need to sit down with both sets of parents and tell them what you want. You could even get married in a home before a Pastor or Minister with a couple of witnesses. That is very simple and cheap. Or you could do what your parents want you to do if you want their financial support. You need to bring all of this to God in prayer.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,857
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

First, God bless you both, and praise God for bringing you together! How great it is that you're both committed to not giving into the pressure of modern societal values and co-habiting, living in sin, before marriage.

You are not children anymore. Yes, we must always honor our parents...but that does not mean we follow their every order. We are not their slaves. Pray to God to discover HIS will for your marriage, and then follow that. God outranks your parents. It is your wedding, not your parents', and you must decide what it best for your lives, what honors God's will, what is correct financially for you, etc. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

17 hours ago, Realove said:

The problem is both our parents are non christian and they dont want us to have a simple wedding but yet go with what they want and what kind of wedding they want for us!

Hi, Realove, and Welcome.  The solution is simple. If the parents on both sides wish to bear the cost, let them. Simply stipulate that the wedding should not be extravagant or elaborate. This will save you the cost of the wedding, and everyone will be happy.  If they do not wish to bear the cost, let them know that you have a limited budget for this event, and leave it at that.

They rather us save money buy a house and then get married...

You both can politely remind all the parents that you appreciate their advice, but will do what your incomes allow.

they also prefer if we live together than get married

Here is a good opportunity to share your Christian testimony and let them know that as Christians, you cannot go along with this idea.  In any event this is your life, your wedding, and your marriage.  They can suggest and advise, but you both should make the ultimate godly decisions.

Guest BacKaran

Welcome!

My Roman Catholic mom was shocked that I planned to be married by a judge than an rcc priest. WE had a small gathering at the courthouse, took the 50 people to breakfast and then had a reception for dancing on the cheap in the evening.

Do your own thing. It's your wedding! .?

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Congratulations! May God bless.

The union between man and woman is the separation from one thing and the joining under God's authority into another.

Ceremony is different from show, so it is encouraging to read that  you  both are taking time to prayerfully think through what you find God is leading you to do regarding your upcoming union.

May I suggest that you both  while together take time  to in a very kind manner declare to your parents your decisions regarding the ceremony? Thank them for the lifetime of sacrifice they have made to get you to the point where you  are substantually in charge of your life, plus ready willing and able to go forward into marriage, and perhaps family raising, yourself.

Sixty years ago I was married at a backyard poolside ceremony. It was nice, very nice, not so much for the trappings, but  instead for the marking of  the vows we made to each other, which we did before God,  in the presence of family and friends. Recently,  as a widower, I was married again, it was a "just the two of us" ceremony. It was just as significant as the first,- for the same reason. 

The formalizing of the union is just as significant today as it was when I was many decades younger. Though laws regulations family and most circumstance makes it seem that  just living together and formalizing  a contract might have been easier. The difference is heart felt within me for having made that  formal commitment called marriage.

May God guide you both as you two also begin what will be the deeply defining mark of your bond-servanthood relation to our Lord and savior Jesus. That being marriage, as our Lord uses "wedding" as the message that we may understand, for our eternal relationship with Him.

It is certainly serious stuff that requires you to step up and take on high responsibility. May the Holy Spirit guide you to the appropriate knowledge to be found within the word of God. And may the process you are going through become, a defining moment  toward both sets of parents learning of Jesus and accepting his Lordship too!

Edited by Neighbor

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

On 11/9/2016 at 11:56 PM, Realove said:

"Who is my mother and who are my brethren?" Honor God, and those who do the will of God, they are your true parents. As for your biological parents, "respect" is the better word. Show "respect" in sharing your well intended plans for marriage - they'll come around.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

There have been lots of excellent replies to your question. Yes, you are adults and you can do anything you want. Yet, you are sensitive to the "honor your parents" commandment (expecially since it's the first commandment with a promise...long life). What I see is that God is leading you both to be a testimony to your parents. While there is no need to flaunt your faith, go to both parents ( a great idea would be for you both to take them to dinner; kind of a triple date) and let them know your desires. Then open the floor for suggestions so that everyone becomes a part of the process. I think it is wisdom to let the mothers participate  with the understanding you will only complain if things get too "out of hand". That way "everyone" feels good; you get a great start; and you get to represent Jesus.

I agree about not living together before marriage; even if you weren't Christians, I think that sort of thing is up to the couple. But I do believe it is wisdom to let your parents help with the wedding (especially since they are paying). That way they feel they have done their part and you both have honored your parents without denying your faith. Paul said, "inasmuch as it is possible, live in peace with all men". Having been married myself, family peace is a treasured commodity and it goes a loooooong way to leading unbelievers into the faith.

Blessings