• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Content Per Day:  16.70
  • Days Won:  0

Source: The Russian Store

This is so wrong in so many ways I hardly know where to begin.  The Holy Spirit brought a memory back to me of these two cloth pouches held together but apart by two long ribbons.  There was suppose to be relics of someone in the pouches (1"x1.5") and you wore them around your neck.  I thought they were called scarabs but I think that's wrong.  I was very sick throughout my childhood that my mother would have me wear this around my neck when I was bedridden.  So I did a DuckDuckGo search and came up with this site.  I thought this might elicit some stimulating talk.

Guest BacKaran

Hi,

My mom and grandmother had medals pinned to the inside of their bras to be safe and holy.

They had devotion cards in their purses and pockets with prayers to Mary on them. The cross in the hallway with holy water and palms on it...

All useless and totally unnecessary...

Sigh....

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

I was raised Lutheran as a kid and my Aunt gave me a metal Jesus on a cross- which hung in my childhood bedroom for years- when I got saved I knew that Jesus wasn't on the cross anymore so I got a screwdriver and pried him off and rehung the cross-----but I didnt know what to do with my metal Jesus so I pt him in my desk drawer------ after all I couldnt just throw Jesus away~~~~~~~ it took me a few more years to gain the spiritual maturity to know that it wasnt jesus- it was just a hunk of metal---- I threw it away

15 hours ago, BacKaran said:

Hi,

My mom and grandmother had medals pinned to the inside of their bras to be safe and holy.

They had devotion cards in their purses and pockets with prayers to Mary on them. The cross in the hallway with holy water and pains on it...

All useless and totally unnecessary...

Sigh....

I remember we had a Crucifix which opened up with the following inside: candle(s); candle holder built in to the cross; small bottle of holy water; palms; etc.  The parochial school I attended routinely handed out devotion cards mostly of Mary, but some of Mary holding a baby Jesus, and a few of Jesus sometimes ascending.  Devotion cards were always given out at funerals.

14 hours ago, woundeddog said:

I was raised Lutheran as a kid and my Aunt gave me a metal Jesus on a cross- which hung in my childhood bedroom for years- when I got saved I knew that Jesus wasn't on the cross anymore so I got a screwdriver and pried him off and rehung the cross-----but I didnt know what to do with my metal Jesus so I pt him in my desk drawer------ after all I couldnt just throw Jesus away~~~~~~~ it took me a few more years to gain the spiritual maturity to know that it wasnt jesus- it was just a hunk of metal---- I threw it away

Roman Catholics, at least in my family, were very superstitious.  You couldn't just throw things away like that especially if they had been blessed by a priest.  They had to be buried.  Throwing things into the trash, even though trash is buried or burned, would have been unacceptable.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Hi Brother...if memory serves me they are called "scapulas"?       With love-in Christ,Kwik

17 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Hi Brother...if memory serves me they are called "scapulas"?       With love-in Christ,Kwik

According to DuckDuckGo, they are called scapula (Latin) and scapular (English).  I wouldn't have found them if not for you, Kwik.  They say memory is the second thing to go when you're my age; I don't remember what the first thing is.  :rolleyes:

Here's a source to show what they look like: Scapulars and Brown Scapular Devotion

More tradition and pagan influence in the Roman Catholic Church, imho.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace

Guest BacKaran

Hi,

Scapula's I thought were little pictures on something like a shoelace type, almost like felt? I recall Mary with baby Jesus on one side and just Mary on the other.

Saved one, I am sure we're had the same Cross, I forgot it opened up for the candles and my mom used the candle to burn the palms!

When my mom passed my sisters gave me a really old old photo drawing of Jesus. If you looked at it, it was the usual white Jesus with eyes open but if you looked at it longer it could also be Jesus with his eyes closed!

I trashed that puppy but I did wonder how much people would buy it for on eBay buy I can't make money off pagans and unbelievers.

Did anyone have a framed might light of Jesus praying in Gethsemane? It was a hologram so you could seeds Jesus in 3d like. I personally was afraid of that as a child when it was in my gramas house.....

My how the Lord has blessed us with His Truth and discernment, amen!?

Guest BacKaran

Yes saved? That site is exactly what we had and the five of us had a different set of scapulars....

I remember when Latin was said and we'd sang songs in Latin.....I do have to say I enjoy the fragrance of frankincense.... But not as a part of worship.?

2 minutes ago, BacKaran said:

Hi,

Scapula's I thought were little pictures on something like a shoelace type, almost like felt? I recall Mary with baby Jesus on one side and just Mary on the other.

Saved one, I am sure we're had the same Cross, I forgot it opened up for the candles and my mom used the candle to burn the palms!

When my mom passed my sisters gave me a read-only old old photo drawing of Jesus. If you looked at it, it was the usual white Jesus with eyes open but if you looked at it longer it could also be Jesus with his eyes closed!

I trashed that puppy but I did wonder how much people would buy it for on eBay buy I can't make money off pagans and unbelievers.

Did anyone have a framed might light of Jesus praying in Gethsemane? It was a hologram so you could seeds Jesus in 3d like. I personally was afraid of that as a child when it was in my gramas house.....

My how the Lord has blessed us with His Truth and discernment, amen!?

That's right.  The palms were burned.  I forgot that part.  I know when I was 3 or 4, my mother would get out the crucifix, light the candle, burn palms and my sister (4 years older) and I would answer her when she recited one of several litanies.  She was praying for my father who was in Barnes Hospital in St. Louis suffering from complications because of a workplace accident.