• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello

Two years ago I came to god in the most amazing way, I was depressed and suicidal then one day I had a vision of Jesus so powerful I gave my life to him on the spot and had an amazing experience that I now know is being filled with the holy spirit. Ever since I have been a changed person, I think differently and feel differently and have nothing but love for all people.

Becoming a Christian was great and everyone in my life was very supportive, and I loved expanding my knowledge of God reading the bible etc. However a few months in to this bliss things changed, God led me away from what I was doing and down another path which I'd rather not go into detail on. People would try to convince me it wasn't God and eventually I ended up having mental health workers visiting me etc, and right every aspect of my life is in shambles and I'm just as depressed as I was before I even met God.

Throughout this whole time I have loved God and done everything I can in every moment to do what I felt he wanted me to do, to follow him and be obedient. My question is, how can I continue to believe and follow when nothing I believe he has told me is coming to pass and everything in my life is worse than ever, and it's been progressively getting worse over the past two years that I've done nothing but try to be who God wants me to be and do what he wants me to do.

My faith has shrunken to nearly nothing and I simply still believe Jesus is real and is there with me, but it's like he doesn't want me and is pushing me away to unbelief. Why would he want me and my family to suffer so much and for so long, and do nothing to help. It just doesn't make sense and doesn't seem like the God I thought I knew.

Guess I'm just after some kind of encouragement to keep my faith alive :(

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

Twisty, that's NOT Jesus trying to push you away.  It's the other one, satan, who wants to take all of God's creations.  Pray about this and rebuke satan.  Jesus would never push you away so, please, don't give in to evil.  I will pray for you to put on the full armor.  You can do it. 

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/31/1951

22 hours ago, twisty said:

Becoming a Christian was great and everyone in my life was very supportive, and I loved expanding my knowledge of God reading the bible etc. However a few months in to this bliss things changed, God led me away from what I was doing and down another path which I'd rather not go into detail on. People would try to convince me it wasn't God and eventually I ended up having mental health workers visiting me etc, and right every aspect of my life is in shambles and I'm just as depressed as I was before I even met God.
:(

Twisty, unfortunately when we are at our most ardent in faith we are also at our most vulnerable, and that is when we are led astray, not by God but sometimes by our own sinful nature. We believe our faith is strong but it is usually there at the beginning of all the lovely feelings and the support that we fall the hardest. That is where our faith is tested, again not by God but usually by Satan and ourselves.

If you read my profile you will see that I was abused as a child and the resultant stuff such as depression, nervous breakdowns (had my first at age 7), PTSD, etc... had me down many times, but the only place I knew I could find real love was with God because I definitely did not have it on earth as a child growing up. It is the getting up every time that makes us stronger in our faith because we know that God will take us back after every fall just because His love for us is totally unconditional, as long as we come back to Him and not expect Him to come back to us.

Real faith is hard and it takes total discipline, utter belief, and unconditional love for Him who died for our sins. Nothing we suffer on earth can compare to the suffering and humiliation He had to endure for us. So don't depend on people and use faith as a crutch in times of despair but depend only on Him and believe that He loves you no matter what.

Be strong and take care of yourself. God bless you

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

You know that God loves you because Jesus died for your sins.  True faith is based on God's Word, not emotions which sway due to health, hormones, lack of sunshine, and a host of other physical issues.  Then there is attack by the enemy which is always when we are weakest.  

Look at Jesus.  He was baptized, and the Holy Spirit came upon him as Father God spoke a blessing upon His Beloved Son.

Mat 3:16  When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. Mat 3:17  And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

WOW!  And

Mat 4:1  ESV Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. Mat 4:2  And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry.  Mat 4:3  Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread."  Mat 4:4  But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE BY BREAD ALONE, BUT BY EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD.' 

The first temptation was to doubt what God the Father had just said.  Just as in the Garden of Eden, the first temptation is always to doubt God's Word, now written in Scripture.  Jesus combated the words of satan with Scripture.  That is how you also must combat your doubts.  You must trust in God's Word in Scripture and not in feelings.  Memorize God's promises.

Rom 5:3  Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, Rom 5:4  and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, Rom 5:5  and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Rom 5:6  For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.  Rom 5:7  For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—Rom 5:8  but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Rom 5:9  Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.

Rom 8:34  Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Rom 8:35  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?  ----Rom 8:37  No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. Rom 8:38  For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, Rom 8:39  nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I don't know what else you think God has promised you, but never trust in promises for riches.  He has said that the love of money is the root of all evil.  He has only promised that our basic needs of food and clothing, and perhaps shelter would be provided IF we seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness.   

Heb 13:5  AMP  Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!] [Jos 1:5]  Heb 13:6  So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper; I will not be seized with alarm [I will not fear or dread or be terrified]. What can man do to me? [Psa 27:1; Psa 118:6]

God gives you love to give others.  Do you not know that the Spirit of Christ lives in you?  Be a conduit or a canal of God's grace flowing from Him through you to others.  He is your source when you have nothing to give.  You can't live the Christian life in your own strength.  But I commend you for continuing to do what you know in your heart you should do.  That is what I have done when going through "dry spells" as well.  We walk by faith not by sight.

Love,

Willa

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  206
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Let me call you – John ! Yes I hope that suits you...

Find a people groop that fits for the next 3- 6 month. (There is than – also some good reason to keep the social contact to some non beleavers.) Though this can not be the standarts to follow. Keep praying,

Forum can not be the best place for you, sorry. / Many of us do find there place in churches. And first task now is to realy get hold of this white robe of rightiousness. So start looking for this process first and than chooss (and learn) to give verry practically. Spend time in the social work. Take Advice when you need it. It is good to pray before you open up to someone.

@jak – I like it. Can I ask you thomething @willa and @A.joy - Will you talk to this man (remember – THIS keep it short and simple (kiss) strategy ) that mentioned depression. Sorry - that jas already reducee a reading skill. I had troble to find your point tow. Would you mind giving – most of this same massge - again in an easy to read punch-line version PLEASe !

• Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

twisty, It's been said if being saved was easy everyone would be Christians. We often hear that seeing is believing, but this is not so, you believe and then see. Faith is taking God at his word and asking no questions (Heb. 11:6). It is knowing that all things work together for good to them that love God( Rom.8:28). Faith does not believe that all things are good, or that all things work well, but does believe that all things (good or bad) work together for good to them that love God. Faith goes beyond reason. It believe's without understanding "why". We glory in tribulations ( Rom.5:3), It sings in prison (Acts 16:25) , It chooses to suffer ( Heb.11:25), faith accepts all things as part of God's will (Phil 1:2). Were not born with faith, it comes by hearing the Word of God (Rom.10:17). Our Christian life is a spiritual warfare, that's why Paul tell's us to put on the whole armor of God (Eph. 6:10-18). I thank God, that I've been through the things I have, for I know that each time that I pass the test, I will come out as refined gold, and the Lord will elevate me to a new place in Him. I will be praying for you, May God bless you.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Thank you everyone for all your replies. Especially you Abby-Joy and also Willa, but I have found all replies helpful. I will hold fast and not give up and see where God takes me :)

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 3:39 PM, twisty said:

Hello

Two years ago I came to god in the most amazing way, I was depressed and suicidal then one day I had a vision of Jesus so powerful I gave my life to him on the spot and had an amazing experience that I now know is being filled with the holy spirit. Ever since I have been a changed person, I think differently and feel differently and have nothing but love for all people.

Throughout this whole time I have loved God and done everything I can in every moment to do what I felt he wanted me to do, to follow him and be obedient. My question is, how can I continue to believe and follow when nothing I believe he has told me is coming to pass and everything in my life is worse than ever, and it's been progressively getting worse over the past two years that I've done nothing but try to be who God wants me to be and do what he wants me to do.

My faith has shrunken to nearly nothing and I simply still believe Jesus is real and is there with me, but it's like he doesn't want me and is pushing me away to unbelief. Why would he want me and my family to suffer so much and for so long, and do nothing to help. It just doesn't make sense and doesn't seem like the God I thought I knew.

Guess I'm just after some kind of encouragement to keep my faith alive :(

Hi i would keep reading the bible everyday. It will build your faith. Jesus would not push you away. He said come to me all that labor and i will give you rest. Notice Jesus said come. He did not ever say go away. Build up your faith by reading all the promises of the bible. In Jesus all the promises are yes.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Twisty the foundation of our faith is the objective source of God's Word made living by The Holy Spirit..... there is no other foundation to build upon than this!  Love, Steven