IGNORED

Living by the law and living by the spirit.

Saved by grace

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/12/1995

Hello everyone, so there is a question that I find myself asking quite often, and that question is are we required to follow the entire bible if we call ourselves Christians? I have debated this topic very much with many people, some saying no, some saying yes. Based on what I have learned and what I feel god has allowed me to understand is that we no longer live under the law, which was given through Moses, also know as the old covenant. But Jesus, being the new covenant, fulfilled the law when he gave his life for all of us. Matthew 26:28 "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

What are your opinions on the idea of following the entire bible, or following the new testament?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

For by grace you are saved and not by anything you could do to help yourself,only Jesus is the answer,He fulfilled the law,He did not do away with them but wrote a new law in the heart of every born again Christian,nobody can keep the law,Jesus set us free,in Him alone we have salvation and find rest for our weary soul,even if I could keep the whole law but did not have Jesus it means nothing,Jesus will let you know in your heart through the Holy Spirit how He wants you to live for Him.Jesus paid it all,oh the precious blood of Jesus which will wash our sins away..

Jesus sets us free from bondage,He fulfilled the law when He died on the cross for you and me.If you surrender to Him ,He will guide you in all truth..

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Maybe I am wrong if so I hope someone will correct me. However, this question is answered by having an understanding of the covenant we are under now. See, you touched on this but let me go into more detail. God made the 1st covenant between himself and Israel. The New testament or covenant is between God the Father and Jesus Christ. Which Jesus kept perfectly , which is why we go through him. In the 1st, you had to sacrifice animals. In the 2nd Jesus himself was sacrificed. But why? Because God and God's requirements do not ever change. God's requirement is that there can be no forgiveness of sin without the shedding of blood . That principle applied in the garden of Eden. It applied in the days of Moses. It applied in the days of Jesus. It applies today. Without the shedding of blood, there can be no forgiveness of sin. In the 1st covenant, it was accomplished through animals. In the 2nd through Jesus, the same goal is achieved, but through different methods in each of the covenants. 

The same can be said of holiness. In the 1st covenant between God and Israel, they were told to follow different laws to try to accomplish holiness. In the 2nd, our holiness is in Jesus Christ. why? what was the reason? Because God's laws and standards are eternal. They don't change because God doesn't change. God said to be Holy for he is Holy. This applied at any and every moment in time. It applies today. Both covenants were trying to reach the same goals but try to do it different ways. So yes all of the bible still applies. But we are not under the 1st covenant that was between God and Israel. We are under the New Covenant which is in Jesus Christ. I hope that helps.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "Do Christians have to obey the Old Testament law?"

Answer:
The key to understanding the relationship between the Christian and the Law is knowing that the Old Testament law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians. Some of the laws were to reveal to the Israelites how to obey and please God (the Ten Commandments, for example). Some of the laws were to show the Israelites how to worship God and atone for sin (the sacrificial system). Some of the laws were intended to make the Israelites distinct from other nations (the food and clothing rules). None of the Old Testament law is binding on Christians today. When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15).

In place of the Old Testament law, Christians are under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2), which is to “love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind…and to love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:37-39). If we obey those two commands, we will be fulfilling all that Christ requires of us: “All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:40). Now, this does not mean the Old Testament law is irrelevant today. Many of the commands in the Old Testament law fall into the categories of “loving God” and “loving your neighbor.” The Old Testament law can be a good guidepost for knowing how to love God and knowing what goes into loving your neighbor. At the same time, to say that the Old Testament law applies to Christians today is incorrect. The Old Testament law is a unit (James 2:10). Either all of it applies, or none of it applies. If Christ fulfilled some of it, such as the sacrificial system, He fulfilled all of it.

“This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3). The Ten Commandments were essentially a summary of the entire Old Testament law. Nine of the Ten Commandments are clearly repeated in the New Testament (all except the command to observe the Sabbath day). Obviously, if we are loving God, we will not be worshipping false gods or bowing down before idols. If we are loving our neighbors, we will not be murdering them, lying to them, committing adultery against them, or coveting what belongs to them. The purpose of the Old Testament law is to convict people of our inability to keep the law and point us to our need for Jesus Christ as Savior (Romans 7:7-9; Galatians 3:24). The Old Testament law was never intended by God to be the universal law for all people for all of time. We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we obey those two commands faithfully, we will be upholding all that God requires of us.

https://gotquestions.org/Christian-law.html

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/13/2016 at 5:59 PM, Saved by grace said:

Hello everyone, so there is a question that I find myself asking quite often, and that question is are we required to follow the entire bible if we call ourselves Christians? I have debated this topic very much with many people, some saying no, some saying yes. Based on what I have learned and what I feel god has allowed me to understand is that we no longer live under the law, which was given through Moses, also know as the old covenant. But Jesus, being the new covenant, fulfilled the law when he gave his life for all of us. Matthew 26:28 "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

What are your opinions on the idea of following the entire bible, or following the new testament?

What is important is that we walk according to the new creature (new man) that was created through Christ Jesus.  In other words we walk in the Spirit as the children of obedience and not walk in the sins of the flesh that we once did as the children of disobedience.   If any man be in Christ he is a new creature and Behold old things have passed away and Behold all things are made new.  Christ sacrifice on the cross reconciled our broken relationship with God the Father which was broken because of sin entering into the world not because of the Old covenant law of Moses.

If there was a law that God could have given that could have wash away our sins once and for all, and restored mankind's relationship unto himself once and for all, or if the blood shedding of all the bulls and goats that had to be continually sacrificed that could never take the guilt of sin away and cleanse our conscious to serve the living God then it would have been given.

But there was no law that was or could be given that mankind to keep and practice that could take away the guilt of our sins.  The Old Covenant law of Moses was only temporary giving us knowledge of what sin was or what was right and wrong until Christ came who was that one perfect spotless lamb without blemish whose blood was shed for the remission of sins.

The Old Covenant law of Moses was imperfect and was only temporary until Christ came and established a New and better covenant based on better promises that the old.  Christ only had to die once and for all and sprinkled his own blood on the mercy seat.  Christ unlike the OT system and the animal sacrifices and such only had to die once and for all.  Keeping and practicing all the OT laws cannot make one righteous inwardly nor take away the guilt of their sins.  Only Christ and Christ work on the cross can do that as we are saved through faith (the faith of Abraham) by grace and not by works lest any man should boast.

A greater understanding of the covenant that God made with Abraham which was made before the law of Moses was ever given.  The covenant God made with Abraham was not disannuled or done away with because of the law of Moses.   The covenant with Abraham was by promise and he believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness speaking of the promise seed of Abraham being Christ Jesus.  The law of Moses didn't disannul the promised seed that would come through Abraham's lineage.  But a greater understanding of the covenant of Abraham will bring a better understanding and knowledge concerning the law of Moses and the New Covenant based on better promises as all the promises of God are yes and amen.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 11/14/2016 at 9:18 PM, missmuffet said:

Question: "Do Christians have to obey the Old Testament law?"

Answer:
The key to understanding the relationship between the Christian and the Law is knowing that the Old Testament law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians. Some of the laws were to reveal to the Israelites how to obey and please God (the Ten Commandments, for example). Some of the laws were to show the Israelites how to worship God and atone for sin (the sacrificial system). Some of the laws were intended to make the Israelites distinct from other nations (the food and clothing rules). None of the Old Testament law is binding on Christians today. When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15).

In place of the Old Testament law, Christians are under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2), which is to “love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind…and to love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:37-39). If we obey those two commands, we will be fulfilling all that Christ requires of us: “All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments

I so agree with this.  When we walk in the Spirit we fulfill the law of Christ to love God and love others.  We obey the 10 commandments by default.  We are free from the bondage of trying to be good enough to go to heaven.  We are free to follow Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  We are free to let Christ live in us and through us.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Jesus was basically asked the same question:

Matthew 22:34-40

But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.

I suggest that we not worry if we are breaking any specific law; instead, live our life in a way that brings a full surrender to God as He moves us with the Holy Spirit, and we will not have to worry.  That is one of the deepest passages to meditate on, life changing.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Saved.....

I believe you have answered your own question ....

we no longer live under the law, which was given through Moses, also know as the old covenant. But Jesus, being the new covenant, fulfilled the law when he gave his life for all of us.

You see,in the Body of Christ you will not find some answering "yes" & some answering "no" because we are of the Same Spirit,of like mind & judgement   All here are in one Accord                                                                                             With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,076
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The complete understanding of Scriptural directives of law was it was given so that we as fallen man would see that we are hopelessly lost in sin...

Romans 7:9 (KJV)

[9] For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

[10] And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

[11] For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

[12] Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Paul is speaking here of his religious thoughts as pharisee and now born again saying the law was an outward appearance to others but inwardly was of no consequence till The Holy Spirit entered and knocked upon the door of the heart as The Spirit of Christ .... then Paul was able to see the deception of his own heart and was able to come to God in total repentance and receive the clothing of The Lord Jesus' Life a perfect obedience to what is holy, just and good! The motivation for the heart now born of God 'IS' God's Love in Spirit to Live as Jesus Lived... which for me is constant pressing to His Mark of acceptance yet already accepted! Motives are formed from the eternal state of The Heart of God Himself now within us and as we grow in this we also know

1 John 3:2 (KJV)

[2] Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

[3] And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

[4] Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

[5] And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

[6] Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

[7] Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

[8] He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

[9] Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

What a beautiful harmony of the richness within God's Word and how like David we are made to love God's Law for it 'IS' The Who of Our Lord Jesus!

Love, Steven

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

On 11/13/2016 at 4:59 PM, Saved by grace said:

Believing in Jesus Christ IS following the entire Bible (the point of the Bible).

Yes we are to serve and to do more than just believe. But everything we do not do, cannot do, do not know, etc. has to be covered under the blood of Christ to save us and keep us saved. Or... the point of the Bible that this is impossible for man but with God all things are possible is moot. Our best quest is to stop beating ourselves and each other over the head with portions of the Bible and to do our best to change and to serve in accord with our LOVING Heavenly Father.