• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/21/1982

Hi!

I'm not usually that good in concentrating when someone talks around me. But when i take a book i really sit down to read it and end up understanding it better. Even in class, i have low concentration but when i go home i read and get what was taught that day. The funny thing is that i'm one of the best in class.

Now the problem comes in that when i go to church, i find myself struggling to concentrate on the sermon such that i end up getting nothing. And i don't have a clinical condition either. I have a few christian books at home such as 'a closer walk' and 'Daily bread' which i read on my spare time and they are really helpful.

my question is that does this make me a lesser christian?

Edited by Frank

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Try asking God for help and don't stop attending church.

Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,088
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

it helps to I close my eyes when i am in the listening mode. shutting out the visual input to the brain gives it less to work with and helps keep mind drift away. I am just the opposite and learn more from listening than reading so I use ear pluggs to shut out sound so I can concentrate when reading.

On a side note I would ask, is there a reason why you left the Christ out of christian. (xtian) It probably shouldn't, but for some reason that bothers me to see it shortened it that way.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Perhaps it isnt you, but the church. Are you getting fed spiritually there? Perhaps pray and ask God if you are where He wants you to be.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/21/1968

I get easily distracted, and i dont like that. So, now i sit in the front of the sanctuary. It is very distracting to see others get up and walk in or out, or just shuffling in their seats, so, sitting in the front, i am not so distracted.

now, that being said, what kind of books do you have at home that you read in your spare time? one of whichi 'm sure is the bible, lots of other christian books are just 'books' someone elses opinions and views. i am not a xtian. I am a Christian. when we replace 'x' with Christ, we take Him out of it. and its not about us, it's all about Him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

On a side note I would ask, is there a reason why you left the Christ out of christian.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Jesus Christ Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Brother Frank, the sermon is not the only reason for going to church! The idea of the meeting together is to worship God as a community. If the sermon is the 'be all' and 'end all' at the church you're going to, you probably need to find a more balanced assembly.

With a blessing,

Leonard, a sinner

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Now the problem comes in that when i go to church, i find myself struggling to concentrate on the sermon such that i end up getting nothing. I have a few christian books at home which  i read on my spare time and they are really helpful.

my question is that does this make me a lesser xtian?

Greetings Frank,

No, it doesn't make you any less of a Christian. If you believe that Christ died for you and you have repented and confessed Jesus Christ as your personal savior and Lord and are following Him, then that is not a worry.

More often than not, I too, will either fall asleep, or be easily distracted or walk out feeling as if I had received nothing. I do well on my own time studying the Word of God. Otherwise, I do well in Sunday School where participation is encouraged and have always taken much from that time of refreshment.

May I suggest that you find out ahead of time what the sermon is going to be and then take a few minutes before services to read the appropriate scriptures and mull over what those scriptures mean. Perhaps note taking will also help, for I have often found that when the EYE/EAR - HAND coordination enters in, I am better able to retain things.

If you do not have a regular Bible study on your own time, I suggest you begin one. Perhaps 10 minutes or so every day at the same time and place to get you in the "habit", then increase the time and perhaps spread it around your day. Try to read the Bible through at least once a year.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

On a side note I would ask, is there a reason why you left the Christ out of christian.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

You know, taking notes on the sermon really would help! :thumbsup: