• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/18/2016 at 11:23 AM, whatdoIwant2callmyself said:

And I don't want to raise your ire any more than is here.

You seem to be full of assumption toward me.

Your remarks that I was referring to were personally directed at the member that posted the OP.-- And those remarks made it apparent you'd not realized the member you were confronting had merely shared an article someone else wrote. -- Which you apparently did not read or you would have noted the author credit at its end. 

You seem to think you know all about me but you don't.  I did read the article on hermeneutic that was posted in the OP knowing full well it was an article.  I don't have to give the author of an article credit openly if I don't want to do that. 

But I did ask the one who posted the article in the OP what was the reason why they posted it in the doctrinal forum section?  Because there was no doctrine or scripture in the article in which to discuss.  Hermeneutics is not a biblical teaching found in the bible so again what was the purpose of the one who posted the article in the doctrinal forum which is to discuss biblical doctrine, and only the one who started this thread can answer these questions.

I'd recommend you do not get mad at what you do not know.  Rather, take the time and demonstrate the patience to learn what may enrich your journey with our Lord.

I recommend you take your own advice.  Why should I get mad at what you think I don't know, you are being absurd and very judgmental towards me for no reason.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

I think also when it comes to interpretation we should assume the author doesn't contradict himself, and thus to interpret the writer in light of what else the writer has written. 

Also if we assume the writer is speaking the truth, then we can interpret the writer in light of what we know of God, God's promise, God's character.

Edited by bcbsr

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  647
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/23/2016 at 2:46 PM, Jayne said:

My goodness - proper hermeneutics is how you get proper doctrine!  I think the OP is a good post.[/quote] I agree with you. I very much enjoyed the post.

For example:  I was at a high school graduation last May and the young lady speaking used

Jeremiah 29:11 as her foundation.  " For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Like most people who use this verse at graduations, on greeting cards, and other times - they do not REMOTELY understand what the passage is talking about because they haven't applied the proper hermeneutics  - especially #1, #2, #4, and #7 from the OP.

They take this to mean that our lives as Christians are going to be all rainbow and candyland - that God has this cosmically beautiful and concretely pleasant destiny all mapped out for us. :blink:

When proper hermeneutical tools are applied, such as the tool in the OP - HERE is the true meaning of Jeremiah 29:11.

God, through Jeremiah, was talking to the Jews that were just cruelly taken from their homeland and made captive in Babylon. They thought they were coming back home soon because of false prophets who told them they wouldn't be there long. Jeremiah gave them the bad news first. They were going to be there for 70 years. He told them to settle in for the long haul - get married, find spouses for your children, etc.

They weren't coming back in that generation. And for those who lived less than 70 years - they were born captives and died captives.

The good news was that God was going to restore them as a nation, not individuals. That was the plan. And guess what? Also in that plan was for those left behind who did not get captured and were STILL disobedient to God - as God said, "I am sending on them sword, famine, and pestilence, and I will make them like vile figs that are so rotten they cannot be eaten."

Whew! That was God's plan. I don't think I would want to be a part of those plans.

Without proper tools, such as in the OP, one will teach and preach from this passage a perfect lie -  that God has the perfect destiny on this earth for all people and individuals.  We will live the rich life.  The perfect health life.  The all-about-me-and-my-desires life.  God will serve us.

WITH the proper tools, such as in the OP, one will teach and preach from this passage the truth -  that God is NOT playing around with sin and his judgments are severe and his consequences are harsh, but a remnant of people - a NATION of his peculiar people - he will not forget and in HIS timing - will bring them to him.  And that remnant will serve God.

The OP bears listening to.

In fairness I'm what some would call a baby Christian of three years now. Maybe Openly isn't familiar with all the fields of study in Christian theology as yet. I have sought information about that very thing and it is fascinating how many fields there are.