IGNORED

Hermanuetics Basics

Guest BacKaran

Guest BacKaran

Interpretation

By

By Wayne McDill

The word interpret can be used to mean “to understand,” “to translate,” or “to explain.” These three functions of the interpretive process are also appropriate for preaching. First we seek to understand what the text is saying. Then we translate that information into the intended theological message. Finally we explain that message to the congregation.

The interpreter needs to have a working knowledge of basic principles of interpretation. These hermeneutical principles are like the tricks of the trade for an interpreter. They guide us in our examination of the text so that our work is kept within the bounds of legitimate hermeneutics. The assumption behind these principles is that, properly handled, the text will disclose its meaning to the interpreter.

Interpreting the Bible—hermeneutics—is the science and art of understanding, translating, and explaining the meaning of the Scripture text. To guide this process the preacher can follow basic principles that help the interpreter discern the intended meaning of the text writer rather than imposing his own ideas on the text. Here are seven principles I would recommend.

1. Identify the kind of literature your text is for insight into its meaning.

Bible scholars call this the genre of the text. That means the general form the text takes—narrative, prophecy, poetry, history, gospel, epistle. The various kinds of literature present their message in differing styles and with different structure. Narrative texts do not operate the same way epistles do in getting their message across to the reader.

The variety in literary forms can become a complicated study. Bible scholars go beyond the basic forms I mentioned here to subforms with subtle differences the ordinary reader might not notice. Often they disagree with one another about these subtleties. In spite of these technical distinctions, the preacher can still recognize the text’s form and how it affects the meaning.

2. Consider the context of the passage for a better understanding of its meaning.

This is often considered the first and most important principle for accurate interpretation. Bible scholars use the term context to discuss various aspects of the original writing of the text—historical, social, political, religious, literary. It is this literary concern I have in mind as the contextof the passage.

The writer follows a logical line of thought in what he writes. What he said in the previous verses or chapters and what he said in the ones that follow will help make the text in question clear. Taking the text out of that context risks misinterpreting it. Often clues in the surrounding verses will open aspects of the meaning in your text you would have otherwise missed.

3. Read the text for its plain and obvious meaning.

A common and persistent myth about the Bible is that its real meaning is hidden behind the surface message. Even though the Bible uses symbolic or figurative language, most of it is clear to the reader. Even when you do not know about the people, places, and events in question, you can grasp the point of the text.

The use of figurative language in Scripture only enhances the plain meaning of the text. “Why do you complain about the splinter in your brother’s eye when you have a plank in your own eye?” Jesus said (Matt. 7:3 NIV). Even though this is figurative language, we have no trouble understanding what he meant. His use of the metaphors makes it even clearer.

4. Try to discern the writer’s intentions when he wrote the text.

This principle of intentionality is critical for the expository preacher. You study the text not to find a sermon in it but to discover the writer’s intended message. Unless you can learn the intended meaning of the text writer, you will not be able to preach the message of the text in your sermon. Remember, “The text cannot mean what it never meant.”4 Discovering the writer’s original meaning is your first task as you prepare to preach to your own generation.

The intended meaning of the text writer will also be the intended meaning of the Holy Spirit who inspired him to write. As you read his words, you are dealing with a revelation from God. Remember, “All scripture is God-breathed” (2 Tim. 3:16 NIV). The same Holy Spirit who inspired these words in the first place wants this message to be preached again through your sermon. And you want to preach in a way that is in line with the Spirit’s purposes.

5. Look carefully at the language of the text for what it reveals about its meaning.

Words carry thoughts. The words of the text are all we have of the writer’s thoughts. If he hadn’t written it down, we wouldn’t know what he was thinking. So we can look closely at his words, examining each one carefully for the part it plays in his message. Also look at how the words and phrases connect with one another and how the sentences are constructed.

If you can study the text in the original language, you can gain greater insight into the meaning. Many preachers study Greek and Hebrew for that reason. But even if you cannot read your texts in those languages, you can still use lexicons and word study books to guide you. Though your congregation is probably not interested in the Hebrew and Greek, your study will open insights that will make the message clearer to them. You can do this without going into detail about tenses and forms in the original languages.

6. Notice the various theological themes in the text.

Though a text has one intended meaning, it can have a number of significant theological themes. It can also have a number of different applications. When you do the structural diagram and your observations, you will list these themes and what the text says about them. Identifying these themes and understanding how they relate to one another in your text is a most helpful key to grasping its meaning.

These same theological themes will show up in different combinations in various texts throughout the Bible. In your preaching text you will try to discover the best wording for the writer’s subject and the modifier that limits and focuses it. You will also look through the text for thepredicates, the various things the writer is saying about his subject. The theological themes in the text will give you what you need for these tasks.

7. Always take a God-centered perspective for interpreting your text.

This means looking at the text in terms of what it reveals about God and his dealings with his creation, particularly man. This is theological interpretation. It arises from the assumption that the Bible is really God’s means of making himself known to us. What it says about him will always be central to every text.

The Bible was not given by God to tell us about ancient religious people and how we should all try to be like them. It was given to tell us about the faithful God whom they either served or denied. Their response is not the central message; God’s will and his involvement with his creation are. Even texts that give instructions as to how we should behave reveal something about God.

Adapted from 12 Essential Skills for Great Preaching by Wayne McDill (B&H Publishing Group, 2006)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

What does this have to do with the "Biblical Doctrine" forum?

I ask because there is no biblical doctrine introduced in which to discuss. 

Hermanuetics is not a biblical or scriptural doctrine found in the bible to preach or teach.

Isaiah 28:9-11-Whom shall he teach knowledge?  and whom shall he make to understand doctrine; them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.  For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:  For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

God has chosen the foolishness of preaching the cross of Christ and him crucified to save the lost (1 Corinthians 1:18-31 & 2:6-16).  Preaching or prophesying in your own tongue (language) for edification and understanding while under the anointing and power of the Spirit of God (1 Corinthians 14:19-25).  The Word of God and the truth has to be "rightly divided" therefore one has to study it to show themselves approved (2 Timothy 2:15). 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

My goodness - proper hermeneutics is how you get proper doctrine!  I think the OP is a good post.

For example:  I was at a high school graduation last May and the young lady speaking used Jeremiah 29:11 as her foundation.  " For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Like most people who use this verse at graduations, on greeting cards, and other times - they do not REMOTELY understand what the passage is talking about because they haven't applied the proper hermeneutics  - especially #1, #2, #4, and #7 from the OP.

They take this to mean that our lives as Christians are going to be all rainbow and candyland - that God has this cosmically beautiful and concretely pleasant destiny all mapped out for us. :blink:

When proper hermeneutical tools are applied, such as the tool in the OP - HERE is the true meaning of Jeremiah 29:11.

God, through Jeremiah, was talking to the Jews that were just cruelly taken from their homeland and made captive in Babylon. They thought they were coming back home soon because of false prophets who told them they wouldn't be there long. Jeremiah gave them the bad news first. They were going to be there for 70 years. He told them to settle in for the long haul - get married, find spouses for your children, etc.

They weren't coming back in that generation. And for those who lived less than 70 years - they were born captives and died captives.

The good news was that God was going to restore them as a nation, not individuals. That was the plan. And guess what? Also in that plan was for those left behind who did not get captured and were STILL disobedient to God - as God said, "I am sending on them sword, famine, and pestilence, and I will make them like vile figs that are so rotten they cannot be eaten."

Whew! That was God's plan. I don't think I would want to be a part of those plans.

Without proper tools, such as in the OP, one will teach and preach from this passage a perfect lie -  that God has the perfect destiny on this earth for all people and individuals.  We will live the rich life.  The perfect health life.  The all-about-me-and-my-desires life.  God will serve us.

WITH the proper tools, such as in the OP, one will teach and preach from this passage the truth -  that God is NOT playing around with sin and his judgments are severe and his consequences are harsh, but a remnant of people - a NATION of his peculiar people - he will not forget and in HIS timing - will bring them to him.  And that remnant will serve God.

The OP bears listening to.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  423
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  1

43 minutes ago, Jayne said:

For example:  I was at a high school graduation last May and the young lady speaking used Jeremiah 29:11 as her foundation.  " For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Like most people who use this verse at graduations, on greeting cards, and other times - they do not REMOTELY understand what the passage is talking about because they haven't applied the proper hermeneutics  - especially #1, #2, #4, and #7 from the OP.

But you do?

When proper hermeneutical tools are applied, such as the tool in the OP - HERE is the true meaning of Jeremiah 29:11. God, through Jeremiah, was talking to the Jews that were just cruelly taken from their homeland and made captive in Babylon. They thought they were coming back home soon because of

false prophets who told them they wouldn't be there long. Jeremiah gave them the bad news first. They were going to be there for 70 years. He told them to settle in for the long haul - get married, find spouses for your children, etc.

Really? How are we to know that your personal interpretation of this passage is true and absolute? Let me guess... you were guided by the Holy Spirit? What if that young lady at the graduation said she too was guided to the truth of this same passage by the Holy Spirit, which interpretation of that verse is the true interpretation? Yours? Hers? Who is to determine it?

Now if you were to say that Scripture is clear and is easily interpreted, I would have to ask..
"if Scripture is so clear, then why are there so many differences of opinion as to its interpretation? And not only that, but why does Scripture itself say that it is not clear?"

"So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures."----2Pet 3:15-16

So let me ask you something Jayne, what is the answer regarding personal opinions/ interpretatins of Scripture? How can we determine which one has doctrinal truth, and which one is merely expressing a misguided personal opinion or interpretation?

Peace

59 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Peace

I'm sorry that you don't like me and are still asking me the same questions from another thread where I said you were incorrect on something....I have no idea after this chastisement of me now that you signed off with "peace".  That's very confusing.

No, the Holy Spirit did not guide me to the interpretation of Jeremiah 29:1-19.  He does guide me on all scriptural things and in this case guided me to the context, but in this case - a nonbeliever could read Jeremiah 29:1-19 and tell you exactly what that passage means.  It's sort of like reading "Jesus wept".  That means Jesus cried tears.  It's not rocket science.

I gave NO personal interpretation.  I gave the straightforward summary of what it said - word for word.

Those who pull verse 11 out and make this passage to mean that God is going to sprinkle us all with cupcakes, puppies, giggles, gumdrops, and $100 bills HAVE given a personal opinion and personal interpretation.  And theirs is wrong.  It does not fit the context.

I was simply giving an example of what the OP is talking about.  Before people say, "The Bible says!....", they MUST have the right tools to discern that.  In this case....

.....context is king and my 13-year-old neighbor could read those 19 verses and tell you what verse 11 means.

But instead, people see this verse in isolation on Facebook memes, t -shirts, mugs, pinterest posters, graduation/congratulation cards, and other media.  And they run with their own isolated thoughts and make an entire doctrine where is none.

Have YOU read the entire book of Jeremiah and do YOU read Jeremiah 29:11 in light of verses 1-19 and the entire book?

I offended you in some way a few weeks ago and obviously, it is still a thorn in  your side.  For that, I am sorry.

5 hours ago, Jayne said:

My goodness-proper hermeneutics is how you get proper doctrine!  I think the OP is a good post. 

Hermeneutics is not a biblical doctrine.  There is no biblical scripture in the OP in which to have a Biblical Doctrine discussion on in this forum.  One has to study, read and meditate upon the scriptures to show themselves approved unto God a workman that needeth not be ashamed.   This is what they did before hermeneutics was ever invented.

WITH the proper tools, such as in the OP, one will teach and preach from this passage the truth - 

That I'm sure was the hope of the one who invented the tool but unfortunately proper understanding and doctrine isn't always the result.  And one can never dismiss our Teacher the Holy Spirit who leads us into all truth.  Scripture is Spirit and must be Spiritually discerned.  A person having not the Spirit can use all kinds of tools and study aids and will be void of spiritual truths as they do not have the Spirit of God.  They interpret the bible with the natural mind which is at enmity (enemy) with God. 

Again there is no biblical doctrine in the OP in which to have a discussion on.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,182
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

5 hours ago, Jayne said:

My goodness - proper hermeneutics is how you get proper doctrine!  I think the OP is a good post.

They take this to mean that our lives as Christians are going to be all rainbow and candyland - that God has this cosmically beautiful and concretely pleasant destiny all mapped out for us. :blink:

When proper hermeneutical tools are applied, such as the tool in the OP - HERE is the true meaning of Jeremiah 29:11.

God, through Jeremiah, was talking to the Jews that were just cruelly taken from their homeland and made captive in Babylon. They thought they were coming back home soon because of false prophets who told them they wouldn't be there long. Jeremiah gave them the bad news first. They were going to be there for 70 years. He told them to settle in for the long haul - get married, find spouses for your children, etc.

They weren't coming back in that generation. And for those who lived less than 70 years - they were born captives and died captives.

The good news was that God was going to restore them as a nation, not individuals. That was the plan. And guess what? Also in that plan was for those left behind who did not get captured and were STILL disobedient to God - as God said, "I am sending on them sword, famine, and pestilence, and I will make them like vile figs that are so rotten they cannot be eaten."

Whew! That was God's plan. I don't think I would want to be a part of those plans.

Without proper tools, such as in the OP, one will teach and preach from this passage a perfect lie -  that God has the perfect destiny on this earth for all people and individuals.  We will live the rich life.  The perfect health life.  The all-about-me-and-my-desires life.  God will serve us.

WITH the proper tools, such as in the OP, one will teach and preach from this passage the truth -  that God is NOT playing around with sin and his judgments are severe and his consequences are harsh, but a remnant of people - a NATION of his peculiar people - he will not forget and in HIS timing - will bring them to him.  And that remnant will serve God.

Hi Jayne,

I so agree with you. People have been deceived by looking for something other than God`s plan to `make us like Christ`, & that involves many `trials & tribulations,` & dying to self. What of Stephen & other martyrs!!! They don`t get a mention as to God`s plan for them, ay.

I also believe that we use a lot of interpretation skills in everyday life. Do we read the newspaper as all about us? No. We discern what the writer is saying & to whom it is written to & about, etc.

Glad to read of your discernment, Jayne.

blessings, Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C

4 hours ago, Jayne said:

but in this case - a nonbeliever could read Jeremiah 29:1-19 and tell you exactly what that passage means.  It's sort of like reading "Jesus wept".  That means Jesus cried tears.  It's not rocket science.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here that a "non-believer" could just out of the blue read the scriptural passage in Jeremiah 29:1-19 and be able to tell exactly what the passage means.   Heck there are many Christians who couldn't tell you the meaning of the passage after they just read through it.   Non-believers have little to none understanding of the history of God's people found in the scriptures and would be void of understanding. 

Even in the example you gave to show your point where it says "Jesus wept".   A non-believer can read it and say it means that Jesus cried.  But a born again Christian believer can read it and their meaning would be must deeper than Jesus just cried some tears.  But they would say Jesus just didn't cry but he "wept" he sobbed.

Before people say, "The Bible says!....", they MUST have the right tools to discern that.

You just gave even a non-believer the right to say the "Bible says" as long as they have the right tools to discern that.  Even the false prophets and teachers as long as they use proper hermeneutics they can proclaim truth.  Heretics could do the same under your examples and proclaim truth.  I do not believe that to be true.  I am not against study tools and study aids but they are not above scriptural truths and biblical doctrines taught in the word of God.  Using proper hermeneutics is not a guarantee nor does it trump having a biblical knowledge of the bible from Genesis to Revelation and the history found within it, hermeneutics can't always do that and could lead a person into error as a result of using it as well.  

I just do not put a 100% certainty in those who say they use hermeneutics as always having proper doctrine.  I don't see it as a full proof tool as some seem to think it is and elevate it above the Spirit of God and I want do that because we are human and not above error.  

I never said hermeneutics WAS doctrine.

I never said it was fool-proof.

YOU said that I said that.

I don't know why anyone would NOT want to read in context, have older/wiser Christians guide you through scriptures, understand the genre, history, and more to understand even better.

47 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I never said hermeneutics WAS doctrine.

And I never said you did say hermeneutics was doctrine.    Show me where I said it.

I never said it was fool- proof.

YOU said that I said that.

And I never said you did say it was fool-proof.  Show me where I said it.

I don't know why anyone would NOT want to read in context, have older/wiser Christians guide you through scriptures, understand the genre, history, and more to understand even better.

Well Jayne I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to do those things either.