creativemechanic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

Here are some responses I've heard-Justt because they're not saved doesn't mean they don't love God.

Iknow  a couple who did it and the guy wasn't saved and they get along.

But u don't know if she might change. Unequally yoked doesn't mean non Christians. It means persons with different personality from yours.Thing is regardless of our opinions. Gods word is absolute,so no amount or excuses or rationalizations can change it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,703
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

No, I'm pretty sure unequally yoked means one is not a christian. That is the only biblical definition. Saying differing personalities is adding something to scripture that is not true, and on top, is folly because people of similar personalities and opposing personalities marry all the time, and work well together, all the time. If it's Gods will and He is the focus of your marriage, ones personality matters not.

On top of that, who quantifies what personalities work with each other, and which ones are unequally yoked? The Bible certainly doesn't have a chart! No, claiming differing personalities can mean unequally yoked is a horrible argument, instead we should leave the Biblical terms alone and not add our own interpretations to them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Willa said:

Your argument might be with God and not with man.  

Yeah I realized when I wrote that that some people on here where not going to get what I was saying. I was not arguing with anyone. Only suggesting that the poster gain some understanding of the people that he has pointed his finger at as doing wrong. I simply asked him to consider not judging people so harshly. But have compassion upon them and realize how difficult things can be for some people. Some of us are weak some of us are not so weak as others.

Oh what's the point, people here don't ever understand me anyway. Think of me what you will. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

Only suggesting that the poster gain some understanding of the people that he has pointed his finger at as doing wrong. I simply asked him to consider not judging people so harshly.

Why should the proper application of Scripture be considered "judging"?  Christians don't need to "judge" in these matters since the Judge of judges does that.  

But if someone claims to be a Christian and asks other Christians whether they should or should not marry an unbeliever, then the Bible is very clear.  It is a resounding "NO".  One can simply quote the passage and tell the inquirer to apply it without fudging, or making excuses for going against it.

Guest shiloh357
8 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Yeah I realized when I wrote that that some people on here where not going to get what I was saying. I was not arguing with anyone. Only suggesting that the poster gain some understanding of the people that he has pointed his finger at as doing wrong. I simply asked him to consider not judging people so harshly. But have compassion upon them and realize how difficult things can be for some people. Some of us are weak some of us are not so weak as others.

Oh what's the point, people here don't ever understand me anyway. Think of me what you will. 

To uphold biblical truth is not "judging."  Right is right and wrong is wrong.   Don't look at Scripture through the lens of emotion.  Read it as the infallible, immutable, and inspired Word of God.   The Bible has the remedy for being "weak"  so that is not an excuse.

11 hours ago, Ezra said:

Why should the proper application of Scripture be considered "judging"?  Christians don't need to "judge" in these matters since the Judge of judges does that.  

But if someone claims to be a Christian and asks other Christians whether they should or should not marry an unbeliever, then the Bible is very clear.  It is a resounding "NO".  One can simply quote the passage and tell the inquirer to apply it without fudging, or making excuses for going against it.

No one is understanding what I am saying. I did not read the post as to mean that someone came to this person and asked them what they should do. I read the post to mean that the posted was just making a statement regarding a sin that someone has giving into. Yes their is judgement involved here. As the poster is judging the person as being guilty of commenting a sin. To which I calmly try to point out that there needs to be a kind understanding towards people who are in this situation.

The way the poster said what they said did not strike me has kind and understanding. It seem they where asking the question "how can they justify what they do". Then the poster was looking to us to all sit around and agree with him what weak and awful sinners these people are. It seem a bit harsh to me and so I tried unsuccessfully it seems to explain that we as brothers and sisters in Christ should approach someone in such a situation with kindness and compassion. Understanding that what they are facing is not an easy thing. That they may indeed fall and us pointing the finger at them and shouting "sinner"! May not be the right why to handle things in this matter.

But is seems my whole message has been lost by you focusing on the word "judgement" Maybe it was the wrong word. But I could not think of a better one at the time.

4 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

To uphold biblical truth is not "judging."  Right is right and wrong is wrong.   Don't look at Scripture through the lens of emotion.  Read it as the infallible, immutable, and inspired Word of God.   The Bible has the remedy for being "weak"  so that is not an excuse.

You all are just not getting it.  Fine so be it. Lump me in with all the other sinners.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1953

On 28/11/2016 at 7:06 AM, creativemechanic said:

I've had Christian friends argue hard and try every rationale to justify unequally yoked relationships. Despite the fact that scripture points out its wrong.

What a lot of people don't get about 2 Cor 6:14 is that it is not limited to 'relationships' of a romantic nature. In the context that Paul is writing this, it is dealing with idolatry but in a broader context it is also dealing with the community or communities in Corinth. The fact is that it is ridiculous to even try to 'yoke' two different things together. If you use the example of animals you wouldn't actually be able to yoke two different sized animals. Yoking is used on the same sized animals so that they can work more effectively as one unit then they can as individuals. They would be unproductive if they were not equal in stature.  Paul was simply using an agrarian law to show how ridiculous it would be for pagans and believers to try to work together to accomplish a mutual goal in the Corinthian community. 

When my eldest son was in his late teens he fell madly in love with a girl who was very smart and from a very well-to-do family, but she did not believe in a personal loving God, nor did her parents.  I eventually had to intervene and point out to my son that in his heart of hearts he was who he was as a Christian and needed to have somebody who in their heart of hearts was in the same place that he was otherwise they would have no commonality moving forward.  I'm happy and proud to say that he heeded my words and has been happily married for 11 years to a very Godly woman from a very Godly family and have two beautiful children! At the time he was very reluctant to break it up but knew in his heart of hearts that what I was telling him, and what God's word pointed out, was the only way he could look at this.

The above is just one aspect of what Paul is teaching here and has applications in just about every aspect of life including business partnerships and political endeavors. As Christians, we are the 'called-out-ones', and as such we have to always keep that in the back of our minds as it relates to any aspect of our lives.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, StanJ said:

What a lot of people don't get about 2 Cor 6:14 is that it is not limited to 'relationships' of a romantic nature. In the context that Paul is writing this, it is dealing with idolatry but in a broader context it is also dealing with the community or communities in Corinth. The fact is that it is ridiculous to even try to 'yoke' two different things together. If you use the example of animals you wouldn't actually be able to yoke two different sized animals. Yoking is used on the same sized animals so that they can work more effectively as one unit then they can as individuals. They would be unproductive if they were not equal in stature.  Paul was simply using an agrarian law to show how ridiculous it would be for pagans and believers to try to work together to accomplish a mutual goal in the Corinthian community. 

When my eldest son was in his late teens he fell madly in love with a girl who was very smart and from a very well-to-do family, but she did not believe in a personal loving God, nor did her parents.  I eventually had to intervene and point out to my son that in his heart of hearts he was who he was as a Christian and needed to have somebody who in their heart of hearts was in the same place that he was otherwise they would have no commonality moving forward.  I'm happy and proud to say that he heeded my words and has been happily married for 11 years to a very Godly woman from a very Godly family and have two beautiful children! At the time he was very reluctant to break it up but knew in his heart of hearts that what I was telling him, and what God's word pointed out, was the only way he could look at this.

The above is just one aspect of what Paul is teaching here and has applications in just about every aspect of life including business partnerships and political endeavors. As Christians, we are the 'called-out-ones', and as such we have to always keep that in the back of our minds as it relates to any aspect of our lives.

Yep.. We had a debate on if a christian should have an unsaved best friend and this verse hints to that.