• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

3 hours ago, StanJ said:

impassive is not the same as impassible and if this is the way you study then no wonder you don't get answers.

Definition of impassive

1. 1a  archaic  :  unsusceptible to painb  :  unsusceptible to physical feeling :  insensiblec  :  unsusceptible to or destitute of emotion :  apathetic

2. 2:  giving no sign of feeling or emotion :  expressionless

impassively

adverb

impassiveness

noun

impassivity

play \ˌim-ˌpa-ˈsi-və-tē\  noun

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/impassive

Definition of impassible

1. 1a  :  incapable of suffering or of experiencing painb  :  inaccessible to injury

2. 2:  incapable of feeling :  impassive

impassibility

play \-ˌpa-sə-ˈbi-lə-tē\  noun

impassibly

play \-ˈpa-sə-blē\  adverb

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/impassible

Edited by hmbld

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

5 hours ago, StanJ said:

impassive is not the same as impassible and if this is the way you study then no wonder you don't get answers.

Sorry, wrong link, but the correct link is what I posted.

5 hours ago, StanJ said:

By  the way, if I were to correct someone on a definition, I would post the correct one, not mock them like you have me.

9 hours ago, nebula said:
  •  

Definition of impassive

1. 1a archaic :  unsusceptible to pain
    b :  unsusceptible to physical feeling :  insensible
    c :  unsusceptible to or destitute of emotion :  apathetic

2. 2:  giving no sign of feeling or emotion :  expressionless

[Edit : I originally posted the wrong link]

Psalm 78
38 But he, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned he his anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath.
39 For he remembered that they were but flesh; a wind that passeth away, and cometh not again.
40 How oft did they provoke him in the wilderness, and grieve him in the desert!

How can God  have anger to turn away, wrath to be stirred up, and grief is He is impassive?

And again:

Or how can God "rejoice over" anyone without "giving sign of feeling or emotion"?
"The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing." (Zeph. 3:17)

Now, WILL YOU ANSWER THE QUESTIONS? Or are you again going to find some way to wiggle out of answering them again?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

5 hours ago, StanJ said:

As opposed to your arguments of denial which are based on nothing more than ignorance and misunderstanding.  Apparently many people are not yet ready to move on to maturity. Heb 6:1-3

You preach the immutability of God yet you obviously don't understand what it means or you would understand about impassibility.

When many of us struggle to know the mystery of God you apparently have him all figured out.

Is it necessary to get personal with your posts. I have a lot of room to talk when it comes to frustration and anger, but i would not like to see this disintegrate into a flame war.

Please don't use scripture to denigrate others or prop you up personally.  That's just...................!

Edited by Churchmouse

14 hours ago, StanJ said:

you should look up the meaning of the word impassible.  

http://www.theopedia.com/Impassibility_of_God

The first link on the web page does not work.

The second link on the web page states thus:

"But none of this means that God is devoid of (what we call) feelings."

You have no case.

Guest shiloh357
9 hours ago, StanJ said:

As opposed to your arguments of denial which are based on nothing more than ignorance and misunderstanding.  Apparently many people are not yet ready to move on to maturity. Heb 6:1-3

You preach the immutability of God yet you obviously don't understand what it means or you would understand about impassibility.

When many of us struggle to know the mystery of God you apparently have him all figured out.

I know exactly what impassible means. It doesn't mean that God doesn't have emotions.  Having emotions and feelings doesn't deny immutability.  To even suggest a thing is absurd on its face.  God doesn't change because His nature/character is unchanging.   He doesn't lie or break His promises.  That does not mean that God doesn't experience emotions.  Our emotions come from Him and are evidence that we are made in His image.

God has emotions, but God is not driven by impulsive passions, as I stated before.  God is not given to mood swings and fits of rage.  

But God can and does exhibit hate toward sin, love toward sinners; He can be grieved, angered and feels joy and happiness.   God exhibits compassion and professes affection/love for His children.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1953

8 hours ago, Churchmouse said:

You used the site as a reference to for making a point about the supposed impassibility of God. and I never said I didn't accept the site because I didn't know who ran it. I said I had trouble accepting it because of his religious leanings were suspect. Would you expect me to accept a website ran by a Catholic?  No matter what the intent is in constructing a web site, The owner ultimately sets the tone of the site and the Admins do here.  Also, I did say that I read the area where information was to be submitted and there are very few safeguards on the reliability of any information or the quality of those reviewing such information.

As far as Wikipedia is concerned, such material found there doesn't rise to the level of Biblical truth and understanding. In there lies the difference of concern.  There have been many links to many web sites, both religious and secular in nature, that have been used here and many have be dismissed because of their reputation. That which you have linked to here, as I've said I am skeptical of, because:

(1) I know the owners religious leanings, which I don't share.

(2) There is no references to any  credentials for those who review any information within the site.

(3) There is no references to connect anything I've seen stated there with the Authors who have submit the info. So their qualifications can't be verified.

All this brings into question every bit of information found there.  It can't be interdependently verified. No person of merit is known to be apart of the verification process. How are we, as Christian supposed to take anything from there as anything more than the fabrication of others imaginations and opinions. Further more what is to stop any Atheists from planting false information on this site, to humor themselves?

I am still open to discuss this with you. I have not said that I reject everything you have said. Just could you not use the site in question to make your points as I have found it quite lacking.

well if you read the post before yours you'll see a few links that also talk about God's impassibility.  Nothing can convince you unless you're open to the truth, and allow the Holy Spirit to show you.

5 hours ago, Churchmouse said:

Is it necessary to get personal with your posts. I have a lot of room to talk when it comes to frustration and anger, but i would not like to see this disintegrate into a flame war.

Please don't use scripture to denigrate others or prop you up personally.  That's just...................!

This was no more personal than the previous post was towards me  and as far as using scripture is concerned to denigrate somebody that means you think God's word denigrates people?  The law of sowing and reaping is constant.

7 minutes ago, Davida said:

FYI , That's not the Holy Spirit if it contradicts the Word of GOD.  The heavenly Father, the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit - They are Three in  ONE and God never contradicts Himself.

That's right, God doesn't contradict himself or his word, but God does contradict people and their beliefs even when they seem to be in line with what scriptures says. 

If you truly believe in the immutability of God then what do you do with scripture like Gen 6:6?