• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1953

17 minutes ago, Steve_S said:

1.  That link does not address proverbs 6.

2.  I just looked at 23 separate bible translations and every single one of them translated it either "hate," "hateth," or "hates" depending on the grammatical arrangement of the translation.

3.  In light of 2 above, my question is how 5 centuries of Hebrew translators are incorrect on this, while a couple of very fringe websites are correct?

4.  The septuagint also has this as saying hate, even though the verse itself looks different (so now you have the hebrew to greek translators of the that time period also thinking that it means hate, probably all of whom were fluently bilingual in the two languages).

1.  it addressed hate I don't know where you got Proverbs 6 from?
  2. translated what?
  3. that you would have to ask a linguist about. 
  4. again, has what as saying hate?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

28 minutes ago, StanJ said:
  1.  it addressed hate I don't know where you got Proverbs 6 from?
  2. translated what?
  3. that you would have to ask a linguist about. 
  4. again, has what as saying hate?

1.  The post you quoted from davida directly addressed proverbs 6, you did not quote that part of the post, but the context of what she was saying made a direct comparison to proverbs 6:16..

2.  Translated "שָׂנֵא" as "hate" in Proverbs 6:16 (i.e. Pro 6:16 These six things the LORD hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:).

3.  The translators of the aforementioned bibles are the linguists that it would be best to ask, and they all agree that it means "hate."

4.  See 2.

• Group:  Advanced Member

4 minutes ago, Steve_S said:

1.  The post you quoted from davida directly addressed proverbs 6, you did not quote that part of the post, but the context of what she was saying made a direct comparison to proverbs 6:16..

2.  Translated "שָׂנֵא" as "hate" in Proverbs 6:16 (i.e. Pro 6:16 These six things the LORD hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:).

3.  The translators of the aforementioned bibles are the linguists that it would be best to ask, and they all agree that it means "hate."

4.  See 2.

1.  address the issue of hate not necessarily the scripture that was quoted. Sadly there's a lot of scripture that uses the word hate in English.
  2. The Hebrew word śânê in my opinion and the opinion of many Hebrew Scholars is more properly translated as 'opposes'. 
  3.  translators and linguists are not the same thing
  4. see  2

17 minutes ago, StanJ said:
  1.  address the issue of hate not necessarily the scripture that was quoted. Sadly there's a lot of scripture that uses the word hate in English.
  2. The Hebrew word śânê in my opinion and the opinion of many Hebrew Scholars is more properly translated as 'opposes'. 
  4. see  2

1.  The scripture that was quoted is supremely relevant.

2.  The expert opinion of thousands of translators (pretty much every old testament translator for the past few centuries, as I pointed out earlier) disagrees, which is fine. I'm mainly posting on this so others logically consider it before believing stuff from random websites over legitimate experts who have decades of study in old testament hebrew and are fluent in it. When you say "many hebrew scholars" that's not very specific, either. How many? What are their names? What are their credentials?

3.  Not necessarily, but many, many translators are indeed linguists.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

7 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

Question, if God didn't create us with the capacity to hate....
did something change at the fall....

:mgdetective:

Beloved It Seems Mankind Fled From The Works Of The LORD

Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." John 6:29 (New International Version)

To The Works Of Selfishness And Malignant Satan

But when people keep on sinning, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8 (New Living Translation)

While Running From The Love Of God

Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep;
man and beast you save, O Lord. Psalms 36:4-6 (
English Standard Version)

Into That Hatred Called Sin

"But he who sins against me injures himself; All those who hate me love death." Proverbs 8:36 (New American Standard Bible)

And Death

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23 (Berean Study Bible)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160 (King James Bible)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

• Group:  Advanced Member

1 hour ago, Steve_S said:

1.  The scripture that was quoted is supremely relevant.

2.  The expert opinion of thousands of translators (pretty much every old testament translator for the past few centuries, as I pointed out earlier) disagrees, which is fine. I'm mainly posting on this so others logically consider it before believing stuff from random websites over legitimate experts who have decades of study in old testament hebrew and are fluent in it. When you say "many hebrew scholars" that's not very specific, either. How many? What are their names? What are their credentials?

3.  Not necessarily, but many, many translators are indeed linguists.

1. not if it is improperly understood
  2. all it shows is the limitation of languages and how a source language does not always accurately reflect in a destination language.
  3. actually that's not factual at all and as a matter of fact many Bible translation committees have linguists AND translators.

43 minutes ago, StanJ said:
  1. not if it is improperly understood
  2. all it shows is the limitation of languages and how a source language does not always accurately reflect in a destination language.
  3. actually that's not factual at all and as a matter of fact many Bible translation committees have linguists AND translators.

1.  You have no evidence that it is improperly understood.

2.  I'd still like a list of names of legitimate experts who agree with your interpretation of "sane".

3.  Even if you are correct, then all of those linguists and translators obviously disagree with the translation of "sane" as anything other than hate.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

4 hours ago, StanJ said:

The issue here is not God, the issue here is how people do not understand God and attributing human emotions to him.

I disagree with your premise. 

How can we have emotions that do not come from God? If not from God than who or what created them? Can sin create? Can the devil create?

Guest shiloh357
5 hours ago, StanJ said:
  4. see  2

The use of sane in Proverbs 6F:16 means "detest" and is reinforced by the parallel structure of the verse.  Abomination reinforces the use of the word hate.   Abomination, here, refers to what God detests, not what He merely opposes.

Guest shiloh357
6 hours ago, StanJ said:

The issue here is not God, the issue here is how people do not understand God and  attributing human emotions to him.

Human emotions were created by God and are part of what makes us created in his image.   Our ability to feel compassion, anger, hatred, affection, are all part of God's communicable attributes. Our makeup reflects His image.   It is HIS emotions expressed in our personalities, albeit marred by our fallen state.

Nonetheless our hatred of evil is a reflection of his nature.  We are not attributing our emotions to him.  Rather, we are recognizing how our emotions demonstrate His image in us.

Does the bible say that 'God hated sin so much He sent his only begotten son', or does the Bible say 'for God so LOVED the world that He Sent His only begotten son'?

Both, actually.   God hates sin so much that He Jesus to be our final offering for sin.   God's hurled every ounce of His wrath against sin at Jesus, and that is motivated by His love for us.   He loved us and hated sin so much, that He sent Jesus to absorb and bear away that judgment on our behalf.

God's feelings toward sin and sexual immorality is not the issue here, the issue is how people misunderstand what the word of God actually says.

We are not misunderstanding what Gods' word says, at all.  And God's feelings toward those things is at issue, here.  God detests both of them and that is Bible 101.