WordSword

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  163
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,152
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

It cannot be work then receive, for how can one work without having received that which is required to know and do the work? It can only be work after receiving, for works do not produce faith, but the inverse is true. The work involves, not our attaining nor retaining faith and salvation but manifesting they have been received, and this performed is by learning to “walk in the Spirit” (spiritual growth), which will be what manifests that we “live in the Spirit” (Gal 5:25).

Everything done apart from the Spirit and faith is man’s devising, which is used in distinguishing the difference between God’s ways in Scripture and ours according to what we believe Scripture teaches (all for our learning and understanding, which should always be in progression, as taught by the Spirit – 1 Co 2:13).

Manifesting faith can be accomplished in only one way—by agape love—that is, God loving others through those who “have the love of God” (Jhn 5:42; 1 Jhn 3:17). Believers strengthen one another through this love, and the lost are drawn by witnessing it (Jhn 13:35); and faith “works” solely “by love” (Gal 5:6). Hence, works are true only when intentioned with “love,” otherwise they are completely meaningless (1 Co 13:1-3).

The saint cannot not work (perform services) “for” anything, but does work because “of” something, which are saving grace and faith, and what more could be given since these are packaged with “all things that pertain to life and godliness?” The goal of faith is to grow first by believing these “things” and then understanding will eventually ensue, for growth in faith is not in explanations but in reckoning that all of God’s Word is not only true, but also that He applies it all to each accordingly!

Works manifests faith, and faith manifests grace, and it’s the “grace of God” which “brings salvation” (Tit 2:11). The grace of salvation does not admit in degrees but faith does, and it, only by increase of strength for it never decreases nor disappears, in order to avoid conflicting with the Lord’s ultimate declaration that, “Whosoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.”

Misunderstanding the purpose of works leaves one in self-dependence and hence, disappointment, due to the conception that our performance must meet a self-evaluated level that accords with where we think we should be concerning our service and manner of life.

There’s nothing that has not already been met in Christ concerning our eternal security and favor with the Father, thus any works attempted with the intention of addressing these established certainties are only “besetting weights” (Heb 12:1) which interfere with clarity of the conscience, but never from the possession of their promises.

- NC

“There is no way to a full abiding fellowship with our Father, but through the rent veil of the flesh; through a life with the old man crucified in the Lord Jesus. God be praised that the Holy Spirit ever dwells in us to keep the old man in the place of crucifixion and condemnation, and to give us progressive liberty from all the old.” -A.M.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  2

24 minutes ago, Word-Sword said:

It cannot be work then receive, for how can one work without having received that which is required to know and do the work? It can only be work after receiving, for works do not produce faith, but the inverse is true. The work involves, not our attaining nor retaining faith and salvation but manifesting they have been received, and this performed is by learning to “walk in the Spirit” (spiritual growth), which will be what manifests that we “live in the Spirit” (Gal 5:25).

Everything done apart from the Spirit and faith is man’s devising, which is used in distinguishing the difference between God’s ways in Scripture and ours according to what we believe Scripture teaches (all for our learning and understanding, which should always be in progression, as taught by the Spirit – 1 Co 2:13).

Manifesting faith can be accomplished in only one way—by agape love—that is, God loving others through those who “have the love of God” (Jhn 5:42; 1 Jhn 3:17). Believers strengthen one another through this love, and the lost are drawn by witnessing it (Jhn 13:35); and faith “works” solely “by love” (Gal 5:6). Hence, works are true only when intentioned with “love,” otherwise they are completely meaningless (1 Co 13:1-3).

The saint cannot not work (perform services) “for” anything, but does work because “of” something, which are saving grace and faith, and what more could be given since these are packaged with “all things that pertain to life and godliness?” The goal of faith is to grow first by believing these “things” and then understanding will eventually ensue, for growth in faith is not in explanations but in reckoning that all of God’s Word is not only true, but also that He applies it all to each accordingly!

Works manifests faith, and faitWhat is a Christian?h manifests grace, and it’s the “grace of God” which “brings salvation” (Tit 2:11). The grace of salvation does not admit in degrees but faith does, and it, only by increase of strength for it never decreases nor disappears, in order to avoid conflicting with the Lord’s ultimate declaration that, “Whosoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.”

Misunderstanding the purpose of works leaves one in self-dependence and hence, disappointment, due to the conception that our performance must meet a self-evaluated level that accords with where we think we should be concerning our service and manner of life.

There’s nothing that has not already been met in Christ concerning our eternal security and favor with the Father, thus any works attempted with the intention of addressing these established certainties are only “besetting weights” (Heb 12:1) which interfere with clarity of the conscience, but never from the possession of their promises.

- NC

“There is no way to a full abiding fellowship with our Father, but through the rent veil of the flesh; through a life with the old man crucified in the Lord Jesus. God be praised that the Holy Spirit ever dwells in us to keep the old man in the place of crucifixion and condemnation, and to give us progressive liberty from all the old.” -A.M.

According to 1 Cor. 13:1-3, the love that I must possess is MINE - that God has bestowed upon me.

The Christian must possess a faith that WORKS through love (Gal 5:6).  Works are PART of faith - not an addendum to it.  
James 2:14-26
is emphatically clear about this.

Without works - we cannot have true faith.  It's not faith AND works, as if they are separate things.  
Belief by itself is not faith (James 2:19).
Works by themselves are not faith (Isa. 64:6).

Belief + works = FAITH.

1 hour ago, RealPresence said:

According to 1 Cor. 13:1-3, the love that I must possess is MINE - that God has bestowed upon me.

Hi RP - Thanks for your reply and input! It's my understanding that there are two primary types of love, and they do differ one from another depending on the origin. God's love is not the same as man's love, and the love Scripture instructs the believer to live in is agape love; and man's natural brotherly love is phileo. 

The love in 1 Co 13 is shown in the Greek to be agape love, which to me means God demonstrating His love for all through those who have His love, which is a type of love man cannot establish.

1 hour ago, RealPresence said:

The Christian must possess a faith that WORKS through love (Gal 5:6).

This passage and nearly every use of the word "love" in the NT is agape. I believe everything that the Christian possess concerning "all things that pertain to life and godliness" is not his own but is imputed (except redemption and faith which are imparted) because they do not originate from man. 

Hence the righteousness the saint walks in is Christ's righteousness, not his own. Faith operates only by agape-love, of which involves many things that phileo-love is incapable.

2 hours ago, RealPresence said:

Works are PART of faith - not an addendum to it.  
James 2:14-26
is emphatically clear about this.

Upon the initial reception of faith there are no works, but I agree with you that James demonstrates that faith will inevitably produce works. Works never found is faith never possessed, for faith always produces works after learning how to truly walk in them through the Word of God.

The point James makes when declaring "faith without works (which are the fruit of the Spirit) is dead," is that there is no faith at all if there are not eventually works.

2 hours ago, RealPresence said:

Belief + works = FAITH.

Upon initial belief there can be no works. It requires time to learn to walk in true works of the Spirit (fruit). The primary function of "works" is manifesting faith and salvation, not producing them nor retaining them.

Blessings to your Family!

4 hours ago, Word-Sword said:

Works manifests faith, and faitWhat is a Christian?h manifests grace, and it’s the “grace of God” which “brings salvation” (Tit 2:11). The grace of salvation does not admit in degrees but faith does, and it, only by increase of strength for it never decreases nor disappears, in order to avoid conflicting with the Lord’s ultimate declaration that, “Whosoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.”

- NC

Edited by RealPresence

58 minutes ago, Word-Sword said:

Hi RP - Thanks for your reply and input! It's my understanding that there are two primary types of love, and they do differ one from another depending on the origin. God's love is not the same as man's love, and the love Scripture instructs the believer to live in is agape love; and man's natural brotherly love is phileo. 

The love in 1 Co 13 is shown in the Greek to be agape love, which to me means God demonstrating His love for all through those who have His love, which is a type of love man cannot establish.

This passage and nearly every use of the word "love" in the NT is agape. I believe everything that the Christian possess concerning "all things that pertain to life and godliness" is not his own but is imputed (except redemption and faith which are imparted) because they do not originate from man. 

Hence the righteousness the saint walks in is Christ's righteousness, not his own. Faith operates only by agape-love, of which involves many things that phileo-love is incapable.

Upon the initial reception of faith there are no works, but I agree with you that James demonstrates that faith will inevitably produce works. Works never found is faith never possessed, for faith always produces works after learning how to truly walk in them through the Word of God.

The point James makes when declaring "faith without works (which are the fruit of the Spirit) is dead," is that there is no faith at all if there are not eventually works.

Upon initial belief there can be no works. It requires time to learn to walk in true works of the Spirit (fruit). The primary function of "works" is manifesting faith and salvation, not producing them nor retaining them.

Blessings to your Family!

Actually – there are more than 2 types of love in Greek.

There is agape (γάπη) and philia (φιλία).  There is also eros (ρως), which is a romantic, intimate love.  Also, there is storge (στοργή), which is a love shared by parents and children.  “Agape” is used because it best fits the description of charitable love

Make no mistake about it, though – this love is imparted to us from God – but we DO possess it.

Unlike the classic Protestant position of imputation – Catholics believe as Scripture teaches – that we are MADE righteous in Christ (Psalms 14:5, 2 Cor. 5:21).

Nobody gets to sneak into Heaven past God because we are disguised in Christ’s righteousness.  Rev. 21:27 states emphatically that NOTHING impure or unclean can enter Heaven.  Not even Luther’s “snow-covered dunghills” . . .

In Matthew 12:36-37, Jesus says emphatically:
I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.

Works are united to faith as oxygen and hydrogen are to water.
You cannot have one without the other because together, they are faith.  Apart, they are nothing.

Even the demons believe and tremble (James 2:19)

Upon the initial belief – our love becomes a work.  Our acceptance of God’s gift of salvation becomes a work.
Works are cooperation (sunergos) with God’s grace.

Edited by RealPresence

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

We work not for salvation but because of the new nature and God first working in us

Hi Yowm - Thanks for your input on which I agree! The passage "work out your own salvation" is in the sense of working "out of" your salvation, e.g. from salvation, not for salvation, which you've indicated.

38 minutes ago, RealPresence said:

Actually – there are more than 2 types of love in Greek.

That's why I stated "primarily," as agape is the rudiment of God-love, different from man-love.

40 minutes ago, RealPresence said:

Make no mistake about it, though – this love is imparted to us from God – but we DO possess it.

Everything we possess is either imparted or imputed, that's why I said "redemption and faith" are imparted, but for love to be imparted would mean we have the same type of love as God and this is impossible because it's an attribute that can originate only from deity, same for righteousness, i.e. righteousness must be "made unto us" from Christ, hence it's Christ's righteousness we walk in (1 Co 1:30), not self-righteousness, which cannot originate from us.

We do possess "all things that pertain to life and godliness," thus possess God's agape-love but it's imputed, and God uses it in us to show it to others, same as it was shown from others to us. Also, we can possess something godly and not have yet leaned to walk in it, same as possessing the Spirit, but have not yet learn to walk in Him (Gal 5:25). But all who are saved will eventually learn to walk in the Spirit (Phil 2:13).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, BacKaran said:

Good works will never save me.

Those who promote the idea that good works can save someone, or add to someone's salvation, have no clue about God's plan of salvation. Sinners are justified by God's grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work of redemption.  Period. As Scripture says AGAIN AND AGAIN: "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him for righteousness".

12 hours ago, BacKaran said:

I am saved thru Jesus, to do good works

Good works will never save me.

Amen!?

Karan

Hi K - Amen!-- "which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" (Eph 2:10). The only good works are those involving "the fruit of the Spirit," this is the believer walking in "holiness."

Thanks for your input and God bless!