Mea kakau

Our Beloved Dog Diagnosed With Cancer

69 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2016 at 9:43 PM, Mea kakau said:

Our beloved dog Bailey, 8 years old, was just diagnosed with osteosarcoma today. Bailey has been my husband's and my therapy dog. My husband has Rheumatoid Arthritis. And I have PTSD. Bailey's been the best dog we've ever had.

He's been good for others as well. My husband regularly took him to Home Depot and everyone loved him. When they haven't seen him there in a while they ask where Bailey is. Children who were terrified of dogs of any size would lay down beside him. Bailey is a giant breed dog, 32 inches at the withers, yet to us he's not very big. He's still the puppy we remembered coming home with us that special day in November 2008. Bailey has been the epitome of his breed, a Leonberger, exemplifying gentleness and love of everyone he meets.

To say I'm distraught is an understatement.

Praying.

Hi Mea kakau

My heart goes out to you.  I empathise because I love dogs and they are almost our children.  Our 8 & 1/2 year old little boy (Chihuahua x Maltese) has been diagnosed with diabetes and Cushing's disease.  We love him to bits, and now have to inject him with insulin every 12 hours.  It breaks our hearts.  You keep praying for Bailey with the laying on of hands as we do with Pepe.  Bailey sounds so beautiful.  Healing comes from the Lord.  Prayers and blessings for/to you all.

Sorry to hear you went through this with your Great Pyrenees mix Abby-Joy. They are part of a Leonberger's lineage; Great Pyrenees, Saint Bernard, and Newfoundland is how they got the breed.

Almost from the start we had Bailey on an herb called Artemisinin. We used 100mg a day and noticed a change in him. But then Bailey's leg swelled up huge and got very hard and hot. He could barely walk it was so big, weighed twice as much as before, and placed pressure on his good rear leg.

I went back and researched further on Artemisinin, reading the studies done with both humans and canines. (Artemisinin was originally used for malaria.) That's when I came upon some interesting information on dosage; it's never the same from person to person nor canine to canine. It depends on the sex, the age, severity of the cancer, and more. And that there were two derivatives besides the Artemisinin. After all the reading and research I did, we increased the herb to 200mg. His first dose 0f 200mg was a week ago Wednesday, 12 April. Within three days the swelling was cut by a third and Bailey's pain level had decreased as well. Instead of giving him pain killers every 8 hours, we gave it to him every 10 hours.

I ordered one of the other derivatives, Artemether, because it's longer acting in the blood stream. The articles recommended a combination of herbs.

I called our vet and talked to him about Bailey's condition. Our vet was extremely interested in the Artemisinin. I sent him an email with links and info on the herb. At the same time, I sent the man, who owed me the money and paid me, the info because his wife has stage IV breast cancer. There's been success with "curing" stage IV breast cancer with Artemisinin.

I read an anecdotal story about a man with the most aggressive form of leukemia being told by his doctors that there was nothing more they could do after treatment failed. He went home and started doing some research and discovered the benefits of Artemisinin. He started giving his Golden Retriever some because it had been diagnosed with osteosarcoma and he took it too. After three months his leukemia went into remission and hasn't returned as long as he's stayed on the dose he found worked for him. He's lived seven years beyond the terminal diagnosis.

On my Leonberger list, another person's dog got diagnosed with osteosarcoma. They couldn't amputate the affected leg. Her vet told her the dog wouldn't live beyond a month (just like our vet told us.) So she opted for Artemisinin. The tumor started out huge and shrunk down to the size of a quarter in a matter of months. Her Leonberger lived another 5 years and 7 months.

Anyway, we are hopeful as Bailey continues to improve each day. He hadn't been getting up to tell us when he's hungry in the morning. All that changed yesterday morning. We both got awakened by a very demanding dog who insisted we both get up right now. He's got an obnoxious yippy bark which sounds more like it belongs to a dog about half his size or smaller. He uses it when he wants us to do something for him...NOW! My husband had just been commenting about how he missed his daily morning wake up calls from Bailey. Be careful what you say and pray for because Bailey's even more demanding than before as Artemisinin increases the appetite like the CBD does.

Today the swelling in Bailey's left leg has decreased further. It is no longer hard. The skin is soft and moveable. His limp is less noticeable. And he's bossing us around with his yippy bark and we're thankful for it all.

Hi SisterActs2

I also found an article on Artemisinin having a positive effect on increasing the release of insulin from pancreatic cells.

How's everything going now?

Hi KPaulG,

Bailey is using his affected leg more today. Before it was more like huge weight he was dragging around with him. Thank you for your prayers.

Praying for Bailey and his 'Mom and Dad', Mea!  May the Lord Bless and keep all of you@

17 minutes ago, Mea kakau said:

Hi KPaulG,

Bailey is using his affected leg more today. Before it was more like huge weight he was dragging around with him. Thank you for your prayers.

That's good. I will Continue to pray for Him,You and your husband.

God Bless and Protect you guys,

Worthy

My husband still hasn't talked to me about forgiveness. Though we were busy dealing with Bailey and his swollen leg. Now things are easier and I'll talk to him again about it.

21 hours ago, Mea kakau said:

Hi KPaulG,

Glory to God!