IGNORED

Maybe some Protestants/Non-Catholics can answer......

Hoddie

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

So who were these men you speak of? They surely couldn't have been Protestant since Protestantism didn't come into exsistance until the 16th century.

Because you have not! By using your "Bible Alone" way of belief, you have not shown how you received your Canon of Scripture. Don't know why "you" aren't listening!

Say's who?

Then maybe you can explain to me what is the "pillar and foundation of truth" in 1Tim.3:13?

I deny it because it is un-biblical, so you should too. No where does Scripture state that the "Bible alone" is all we need for a sole rule of faith. If you disagree, show me in the Bible where it says, SOLA SCRIPTURA, only the Bible.

2Thes 2:15, "Therefore brethren, stand fast, and hold the TRADITIONS which ye have been taught, whether by WORD, or our Epistle'. This verse is telling you to honor the traditions which have been handed down by word of mouth from generation to generation."

Translation: Sacred Scripture and Sacred Traditions equals the 'whole' word of God.

Lol! First off, I'm not your "sistah", I'm a man. Secondly, I seek no approval from you or anyone else for that matter when it comes to my beliefs. And as far as you beleiving in the bible alone, and if any teachings that are not in the bible you/we will have nothing to do with them, how about these?

1.Modern Christian pastors standard practice of REmarrying divorced Christians previously joined by God in a Christian ceremony.

2. The Sinners Prayer

3. Bible only Christian churches objections to alcohol and dancing.

4. The Altar Call

5. Bowing ones head and closing of eyes when praying. (not that it is a bad thing)

6. Scripture interprets Scripture.

Please show a Chapter and verse where these six items are in the bible. If you cannot, are you willing to dismiss them as teachings not of the bible, and not to be practiced?

Still wish to hold to that?

All Scripture what, as a sole rule of faith? Chapter and verse please. And please spare me the quoting of 2 Timothy 3:16–17, for nowhere does it claim Scripture is sufficient as a rule of faith. Because an examination of the verse in context shows that it doesn’t claim that at all; it only claims Scripture is "profitable" (Greek: ophelimos) that is, helpful. Many things can be profitable for moving one toward a goal, without being sufficient in getting one to the goal. Notice that the passage nowhere even hints that Scripture is "sufficient"—which is, of course, exactly what Protestants think the passage means.

The context of 2 Timothy 3:16–17 is Paul laying down a guideline for Timothy to make use of Scripture "and tradition" in his ministry as a bishop. Paul says, "But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; and that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God (Greek: theopneustos = "God-breathed"), and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Tim. 3:14–17). In verse 14, Timothy is initially exhorted to hold to the oral teachings—the traditions—that he received from the apostle Paul. This echoes Paul’s reminder of the value of oral tradition in 1:13–14, "Follow the pattern of the sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus; guard the truth that has been entrusted to you by the Holy Spirit who dwells within us" (RSV), and ". . . what you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also" (2:2). Here Paul refers exclusively to oral teaching and reminds Timothy to follow that as the "pattern" for his own teaching (1:13). Only after this is Scripture mentioned as "profitable" for Timothy’s ministry.

Peace

First of all I use the AKJV bible so I don't know what passage you are speaking of when you refer to the pillar and foundation of truth which is not in 1 Tim 3:13

Secondly, in your past paragraph you speak of oral tradition.

WHAT oral tradition do you think Paul is speaking of here? ALL these people had was the Old Testament and the gospels which were just beginning to be propagated by letter and by oral...what I mean here by oral is Matthew Mark John and Luke being spread by these people directly,  or their immediate disciples.

WHY do Catholics always think that there has to be something different involved?

No time left gotta go

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  423
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  1

7 minutes ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

First of all I use the AKJV bible so I don't know what passage you are speaking of when you refer to the pillar and foundation of truth which is not in 1 Tim 3:13

Sorry, my mistake, I ment 3:15.

p.s. where you going to address my list?

Peace

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  2

On 12/3/2016 at 10:24 PM, Ezra said:

The fact that the canon exists indicates that it was brought together and preserved by the Holy Spirit working through Christians.  And Sola Scriptura means that we do not need to go to the Apocrypha or so-called Holy Tradition to obtain further Divine teaching.  Scripture is entirely sufficient for every need of the Christian.

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Tim 3:15-17).

And NOWHERE does it say that the Scriptures are our SOLE authority.
However, the following passages say that the CHURCH has Supreme Authority on earth:

Matt 16:18-19
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:15-18
"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.

If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'

If he refuses to listen to them, tell the CHURCH. If he refuses to listen even to the CHURCH, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.

Amen, I say to you, whatever YOU (The Church) bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever YOU (The Church) loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU (The Church) listens to me. Whoever rejects YOU (The Church) rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."

John 20:21-23
“Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send YOU (The Church).”  And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,  “Receive the holy Spirit.  Whose sins YOU (The Church) forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU (The Church) retain are retained.”

On Thursday, December 08, 2016 at 11:30 AM, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

Satan has been the head of the RCC since Gregory the *ahem* Great

Idiocy, plain and simple. This is nothig more than anti-Catholic jargon with *ahem* nothing to back it up. (go figure)

Besides, even if Satan was (as you so unintelligently suggest) the head of the Catholic Church, he is doing a pretty poor job at it.

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 6:55 AM, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

That is not what I was getting at. This is stuff that is in the bible, for starters. Come on man, I was saying Where in the bible are we called to honor the writings of man that are not part of the bible? Catholics and a few others believe in Scripture and "tradition". WHERE in the bible does it say that????

The Catholic Church has as its sole rule of faith, the "entire" Word of God, as it is found in Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition. All of the Word of God was at one time passed on orally…Sacred Tradition. Eventually, some of Sacred Tradition was written down…this became Sacred Scripture, which is written tradition. However, Scripture itself tells us that not all of the things that Jesus said and did were written down. And listen to what Paul says about “tradition”:2 Thes 2:15, “So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.” Traditions! Traditions taught by word of mouth, in other words, oral tradition, and traditions taught by letter. Traditions which they are being told to “stand firm and hold to”. Sacred Scripture and

1 Cor 11:2, “I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you.” The Corinthians are being commended by Paul because they maintain the traditions that he passed on to them. Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

2 Tim 2:2: “and what you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.” What we have here in 2 Timothy is an instance, in Scripture, of Paul commanding the passing on of oral tradition.

1 Thes 2:13, “And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the Word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the Word of God, which is at work in you believers.” So, they received as the Word of God that which they heard, not simply that which they read in Scripture.

In other words, the Bible clearly supports the Catholic Church’s teaching that the Word of God is contained in both Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 6:58 AM, BacKaran said:

Ummmm, short answer, it doesn't.

Then explain the passages I gave in my last post

On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 8:05 AM, kwikphilly said:

Amen,Amen,Amen,Amen & Amen!!!!!    Don't forget guys,we are all saying the same thing!!!!! 

Is that right? Then maybe you can explain the fact there are over 30,000 splinters in Protestantism? There can be only one truth, and yet each splinter claims, "the Holy Spirit told me." Each claims the truth, yet each has differences with the others. Truth is one; therefore all Churches should be united in the one truth. Are we led to believe there over 30,000 Holy Spirits, each telling a protestant sect something different, or maybe one Holy Spirit giving a different truth to each?

This unity you speak of Kwik does not exsist within Protestant and non-Catholic sects.

The problem is never with Gods Word,the problem always comes from someone adding to it or taking away.....& they become TRADITION (of man)

Yes, I agree Kwik, but the problem lies with the father of your Reformation (Martin Luther) who thought differently. (the same teachings that many of you adhere to) It was Marthin Luther, on his own and without any authority that ripped out 7 books of the O.T. and claimed they were not Sacred Scripture. He also wanted to rip out of the Bible several N.T. booksa aswell, such as James, Hebrews, and Rev.

One of the reasons that Luther ripped out books of the Old Testament is because some of those books helped to explain some Catholic doctrines.

The reason why he wanted to rip out of the Bible the Book of St. James is because it contradicted his personal and heretical view about justification. said justification was by faith alone. NOWHERE does the Bible say that, so Luther added the word to Romans 3:28 in his German Translation.

In fact the ONLY place in the New Testament where the words "faith alone" appear is in the Book of St. James where James says that we are "not saved by faith alone" (James 2:24).

This was the reason Luther wanted to get rid of the book of James. This man was not just arrogant but evil in his desire to conform the Bible to his personal, and heretical, opinions. James 2:24 Ye see that by works a man is justified, and not only by faith.

In addition Martin Luther add to the Bible words that do not exist in the Greek extant manuscripts. When Martin Luther was confronted about why he was messing with the Bible, he replied, "Because my will is good enough." This was one arrogant person Kwik, and still you wish to adhere to these teachings! Amazing!

Peace

On 12/15/2016 at 6:55 AM, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

That is not what I was getting at. This is stuff that is in the bible, for starters. Come on man, I was saying Where in the bible are we called to honor the writings of man that are not part of the bible? Catholics and a few others believe in Scripture and "tradition". WHERE in the bible does it say that????

2 Thess. 2:15
Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the TRADITIONS that you were taught, EITHER by an oral statement - OR by a letter of ours.

Game.
Set.
MATCH.

On 12/15/2016 at 6:58 AM, BacKaran said:

Ummmm, short answer, it doesn't. 

Got a long answer for that?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to all our Worthy Readers....

Please remember Our Statement of Faith & the comments you are reading are not all what Gods Word Says,in case you are unfamiliar with the Scriptures......always look them up yourself & you will see there are no BOLD TYPE,different colors to express a thought or idea,no added words on parentheses .......

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board.          (from Terms of Service)

Scripture is never meant to be read out of context to support your own interpretation(as a single verse) but should be read in context,in whole .....they speak to a specific people,in a specific time & the Purpose is Revealed by the Holy Spirit......to each of US,ask God,Jesus Loves you!!!

Thank you  and God Bless you.......find out  & learn what God has to SAY in His Own WORDS,The Bible......                     With love-in Christ,Kwik