IGNORED

Maybe some Protestants/Non-Catholics can answer......

Hoddie

Guest Teditis

Yeah... that type of second chance would have everyone Saved... which is what some churches DO indeed preach.

While it's a lovely idea it just isn't Biblically sound, lol.

There is always a problem with these offshoot teaching to become incorporated in the mainstream, but I think

we've a ways to go before that actually happens. "a little leaven...". But the task is not impossible as long as God

is involved in it.

Still. I think that things are simply what they are and as a Christian body, we must find ways to stick to the

basic truths of the Bible and not shy away from refuting false teachings of this ever changing world. BUT we

must learn to articulate these issues in a loving way. Not just blurt out that "It's not Biblical and you're headed for Hell."

I'm trying hard in my senior years how to speak my mind in ways that avoids contention and still hold my own views.

When that doesn't seem possible, I just shake the dust off my feet and go somewhere else. I don't believe in causing

further contention.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  337
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Teditis said:

Yeah... that type of second chance would have everyone Saved... which is what some churches DO indeed preach.

While it's a lovely idea it just isn't Biblically sound, lol.

There is always a problem with these offshoot teaching to become incorporated in the mainstream, but I think

we've a ways to go before that actually happens. "a little leaven...". But the task is not impossible as long as God

is involved in it.

Still. I think that things are simply what they are and as a Christian body, we must find ways to stick to the

basic truths of the Bible and not shy away from refuting false teachings of this ever changing world. BUT we

must learn to articulate these issues in a loving way. Not just blurt out that "It's not Biblical and you're headed for Hell."

I'm trying hard in my senior years how to speak my mind in ways that avoids contention and still hold my own views.

When that doesn't seem possible, I just shake the dust off my feet and go somewhere else. I don't believe in causing

further contention.

AMEN TO THAT!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

7 hours ago, Fran C said:

Also, in the Carm article, are those mainline churches?  Or are they offshoots?

Those are mainline churches. It is the mainline churches who went off the rails.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, Fran C said:

Hi Matrix,

May I be so bold as to say that I DO NOT trust independent churches.   Tell me where you think I'm wrong:

A mainline church, to me, is a church that has a hierarchy - there is help for it; both in physical and financial ways. Human help can be sent when necessary, for whatever reason, financial help could be sent if funds should run out and there's a serious problem.  There's a history to the church, there are most probably theologians involved with setting the doctrinal beliefs.

In an independet church, we have a person who decided to set it up to fit what HE agrees is correct in the bible.  I have a church like this near me and it's more like a cult - at least that's how I feel about it.

Mainline is a big church:  Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Nazarene, Assembly of God, etc.

Regarding being the pillar of truth.  I already commented on this and hate to repeat but any church that teaches salvation in Christ is a pillar of truth.  

When we say a person is a pillar of the community, we're not saying the PERSON is the community, he is what is holding UP the community.

The churuch IS the pillar of truth.

GOD IS THE TRUTH.

THE CHURCH IS THE PILLAR OF TRUTH.   It holds UP the truth.

It's not wrong to say that a church is the pillar of truth.  It is the SUPPORTER of the truth.

Fran

The problem here though is that many mainline churches pay only lipservice to the truth. Catholics teach salvation in Christ. So do Mormons and JWs; yet by their very practices they don't believe it. I have to disagree, though only partially, with what you said about independent churches. That doesn't apply to all of them. You can get some very good independent bible chapels out there. I have been to a couple of them that uphold the bible very strictly.

YES God is the truth and I probably am in error in my interpretation of 1 Tim 3:15 but I am always reluctant to give glory to men that rightfully belongs to God alone. Too many people do that.

1 hour ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

The problem here though is that many mainline churches pay only lipservice to the truth. Catholics teach salvation in Christ. So do Mormons and JWs; yet by their very practices they don't believe it. I have to disagree, though only partially, with what you said about independent churches. That doesn't apply to all of them. You can get some very good independent bible chapels out there. I have been to a couple of them that uphold the bible very strictly.

YES God is the truth and I probably am in error in my interpretation of 1 Tim 3:15 but I am always reluctant to give glory to men that rightfully belongs to God alone. Too many people do that.

Just two quick thoughts:

What happens to the independent church when the pastor moves on? Usually it dissolves...And the members are left scrambling for a new church.

I agree that glory is for God alone.  Respect is for those that are pillar's of His truth.  Including you...

Fran

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

4 minutes ago, Fran C said:

Just two quick thoughts:

What happens to the independent church when the pastor moves on? Usually it dissolves...And the members are left scrambling for a new church.

I agree that glory is for God alone.  Respect is for those that are pillar's of His truth.  Including you...

Fran

How about everyone's favorite, Joel Osteen.

A mere 10,000 member church under his father, now the biggest church in America!

2 minutes ago, White Rabbitt said:

How about everyone's favorite, Joel Osteen.

A mere 10,000 member church under his father, now the biggest church in America!

JO is very charismatic and happy and people like that. What happens when he can't be around and his son can't take his place? Think of Billy Graham, Jimmy Swaggart.

As for JO, he's not my cup of tea, but I see nothing wrong with his preaching.  Maybe he promises a little too much?

Fran

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

2 minutes ago, Fran C said:

JO is very charismatic and happy and people like that. What happens when he can't be around and his son can't take his place? Think of Billy Graham, Jimmy Swaggart.

As for JO, he's not my cup of tea, but I see nothing wrong with his preaching.  Maybe he promises a little too much?

Fran

Maybe you need to start reading his books so he can start to help you build up your faith.

Guest BacKaran

Joel Osteen is not a pastor. His dad was but he's not. He doesn't confirm homosexuality as a sin for example.

He's a man who wants everyone to have their best life now... Really? Tell that to all our brother and sisters being persecuted into death, it don't work Joey. 

For me personally, I will have my best life when I'm with Christ, adoring and praising Him in the New Jerusalem. Amen?

1 hour ago, White Rabbitt said:

Maybe you need to start reading his books so he can start to help you build up your faith.

I'm afraid that wouldnt help me. Joyce Meyers is also of not too much help to me.

I like cs Lewis, John neuhaus, Scott Hahn...