IGNORED

Can a Christian be a police officer, knowing that they may have to kill?

Mateo

• Group:  Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, Leonardo Von said:

Greetings, brothers and sisters,

Grace and mercy and peace from our Lord Jesus Christ.

Although the answer is easy, unfortunately our carnal nature has difficulty accepting Jesus and His teachings (1Corinthians 2:14). It is the old struggle between our new and old man:

o    “That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.” (Ephesians 4.22-24).

However, we cannot continue to limp between two thoughts (as Israel did - 1 Kings 18.21): if the god of strongholds (the god of the antichrist - Daniel 11.38) is the true God, follow him; If Jesus is the One True God (as I believe He is), then we cannot adopt any other god in His presence (Exodus 20: 3, Matthew 6:24).

Either we believe in the power of godliness and give ourselves to it, or we’ll simply transform the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ into mere utopia:

o   “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.” (1Timothy 3.16).

o   “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.” (2Timothy 3.1-5).

Furthermore, does it make sense to live in a world where, in order to overcome evil, it is necessary to do greater evil to those who try to offend us? Does it make sense to live like Ishmael?

o   “And he will be a wild man; his hand [ will be ] against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.” (Genesis 16.12).

In order not to be a victim of evil, we must be more evil than our enemies (whom, by the way, we are commanded to love - Matthew 5:44, 45)? Shall we harm the one for whom Christ died? Who is most powerful: he who has the power of darkness and death (see Hebrews 2:14, 15), or the One who:

o   “Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated [ us ] into the kingdom of his dear Son:” (Colossians 1.13).

If it is not possible to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living (Psalm 27: 13,14) overcoming all evil (Romans 12: 19-21), then it is better to die than to live (or more still: not to be born), as the preacher of Ecclesiastes said:

o   “Wherefore I praised the dead which are already dead more than the living which are yet alive. Yea, better [ is he ] than both they, which hath not yet been, who hath not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.” (Ecclesiastes 4.2,3).

Unfortunately, as Paul said, few are willing to undergo sound doctrine:

o   “For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away [ their ] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.” (2Timothy 4.3-4 – ARC).

Most, though they claim to be serving Christ, are at heart serving their own womb:

o   “For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.” (Romans 16.18).

o   ( For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, [ that they are ] the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end [ is ] destruction, whose God [ is their ] belly, and [ whose ] glory [ is ] in their shame, who mind earthly things.)(Phillipians 3.18,19).

I know that in the face of injustice, we are tempted to seek resources in the "justice" of this world to protect us and our rights (something that the Eternal abhors - Psalms 20.7; Isaiah 30.1-3; 31.1-3). However, our real enemy is not the people or what they do against us:

o   “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [ places ].” (Ephesians 6.12).

Nor do the weapons we have to fight with are physical:

o   “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.” (Ephesians 6.10,11).

o   “Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;” (Ephesians 6.13-18).

o   “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: ( For the weapons of our warfare [ are ] not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; ) casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; and having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.” (2Corinthians 10.3-6).

I go further: our victory must be spiritual. If we are to be truly victorious toward the Eternal, we must gladly accept our defeat here for Christ's sake:

o   “He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.” (Matthew 10.39).

See what Paul says:

o   Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of [ this ] life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. And if a man also strive for masteries, [ yet ] is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.” (2Timothy 2.3-5).

Note that it is not to try to escape from afflictions, fighting against everything and everyone to keep them away from us. I know this is difficult to accept, but whoever rejects the bitter medicine does not want to be healed. Whoever get away from troubles does not want to be blessed.

In fact, the reason why many homes fall apart is because, when a conflict arises, instead of suffering the afflictions of Christ by the spouse (see Colossians 1:24; Philippians 3.10), he tries to overcome it with carnal weapons.

We have to think that the evil of the other is only bothering us because, first of all, evil has found place in us to dwell:

o   “Wherefore doth a living man complain, a man for the punishment of his sins?” (Lamentations 3.39).

Thus, instead of losing our blessing by trying to resolve everything by our own strength and ability (see Zechariah 4:5), may Jesus give us courage so that we never stray from Him and from everything He is and represents so that we do not lose the crown of Eternal life (James 1:12; Revelation 2:10) to us destined:

o   “Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them. Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it [ to ] the right hand or [ to ] the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest. This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God [ is ] with thee whithersoever thou goest.” (Joshua 1.6-9).

Only those who fight legitimately are crowned! Therefore, may Jesus enable us to follow His wonderful example:

o   “For this [ is ] thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. For what glory [ is it ], if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? But if, when ye do well, and suffer [ for it ], ye take it patiently, this [ is ] acceptable with God. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed [ himself ] to him that judgeth righteously: who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.” (1Peter 2.19-24).

May Jesus give us all the courage to not turn away from His healing call, to wit, allowing Jesus to communicate to us all that He feels and suffers for the one who has offended us (see Ezekiel 33:11, Colossians 1:24, Philippians 3.10).

So, can you tell me plainly? What about someone who is already a police officer. Can they give their life to Christ and remain there?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

12 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

That is very bad advice and a tragic misuse of the Scriptures.  The police are not evil and policemen who put their lives on the line to protect us are not committing evil.   To treat the police and criminal as morally equivalent is in itself, immoral and unChristian. 

You try to sound "spiritual"  but your advice is poison and only emboldens the truly evil of this world. 

God bless the men and women in law enforcement who serve and protect us ever day.

@shiloh357 I couldn't agree with you more here. :thumbsup: 

13 hours ago, Leonardo Von said:

Greetings, brothers and sisters,

Although the answer is easy, unfortunately our carnal nature has difficulty accepting Jesus and His teachings (1Corinthians 2:14). It is the old struggle between our new and old man:

May Jesus give us all the courage to not turn away from His healing call, to wit, allowing Jesus to communicate to us all that He feels and suffers for the one who has offended us (see Ezekiel 33:11, Colossians 1:24, Philippians 3.10).

@Leonardo Von you are sorely mistaken in your interpretation or use of Scripture.

You are clearly ignoring the passages I presented in previous posts here where I mentioned what the Bible says on Murder, God's justice, and defense of the weak/poor/oppressed from the wicked.

OR where I mentioned here in this post how Paul and Peter addressed government authorities "bearing the sword" and "punishing those who do evil."

OR the in this post where I mentioned where both John the Baptist didn't tell soldiers to refrain from doing their duty. Not to mention Peter did not instruct Cornelius to give up his command as a Roman Centurion.

FINALLY, the mention of the intent behind Jesus's words of laying down your life for another person in this post.

How do you view or interpret these passages?

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

5 hours ago, Mateo said:

So, can you tell me plainly? What about someone who is already a police officer. Can they give their life to Christ and remain there?

@Mateo I believe Leonardo is simply saying that to be spiritual one should not be involved in protecting the general population and upholding the law. Why? Because that might cause a person to have to take the life of another person. The difference between murder and taking a life is clear. It is all about intent. Police officers for the most part intend on helping keeping others safe and upholding the law.

Sounds like Leonardo might perhaps be anti military as well. It is unclear. Given the background that he is from Brazil this doesn't surprise me. I grew up in Brazil and there is little respect by the general population for police or military. Primarily due to corruption as both police and military are severely underpaid. So understanding the cultural context of his comments is key.

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 12/7/2016 at 2:08 PM, John Robinson said:

One old codger, a retired Marine, asked the man what he would do if he came in one night and found someone raping his wife.

Greetings John Robinson,

It is good to remember that there are two types of sin: sin outside the body and sin against one's own body. I understand your questioning, but we (starting with myself) can not abandon Jesus and the principles of Holy Scripture to defend ourselves. If we do this, even if, for the time being, we can get rid of the problem, we'll get bigger problems up front than the ones we already have.

We need to believe what the Holy Scripture says:

o   “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [ his ] purpose.” (Romans 8.28).

I know that when we are going through a struggle it is difficult to accept this truth. But the Holy Scripture is clear:

o   “If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but [ rather ] give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance [ is ] mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12.18-21).

o   “Finally, [ be ye ] all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, [ be ] pitiful, [ be ] courteous: not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing. For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it. For the eyes of the Lord [ are ] over the righteous, and his ears [ are open ] unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord [ is ] against them that do evil.” (1Peter 3.8-12).

o   “Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (1Thessalonians 5.16-18).

You may ask me: "But Leonardo, let us suppose that a thug threatens to rob all the assets of your house. What do you do: kill him, call the police or remain praying, trusting that more has Jesus to give than Ha-Satan to take? Sincerely, brother, I ask of Jesus all the faith and grace necessary to remain resting and waiting in the Eternal (Psalm 37: 7), fully convinced that:

o   If the thief can rob me, it is because the Eternal has brought him to do the cleaning in my house, so that the repressed, shaken and overflowing blessing that He has already brought can fit in it (Luke 6:38);

o   If the thief tortured me or anyone in my family, surely Jesus will be with us to keep us in peace and happiness in Him, just as He did with:

§  The apostles who, after being whipped, went forth rejoicing that they were judged worthy to suffer affront by the name of Jesus (Acts 5: 40,41).

§  Paul and Silas who, even after being whipped, bound and with their feet tied unjustly in the trunk, yet at midnight they were able to worship and praise the Eternal to such an extent that all the prisoners heard (Acts 16:22 -26).

§  Stephen who, when saw the heavens open to him and Jesus at the right hand of the Father, felt the sorrow of Jesus for having to judge His beloved people and for this, he asked the Eternal not to impute sin to them about what they were doing with him (Acts 7: 5-60).

o   If the thief kills me or someone in my family, we will be with Christ, which is incomparably better than staying in this world (Philippians 1:23).

o   If none of the above options is the will of the Eternal, then the thief will repent, convert to Christ, and then, we’ll be good friends and brethren in Christ.

Anyway, what we cannot forget is:

o   “Rejoice in the Lord alway: [ and ] again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [ is ] at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” (Phillipians 4.4-6).

We have to keep in mind that if the Eternal brought the thief to us (being us, of course, righteous in His presence), it is because He wants to save the thief. Jesus brought him to us so He could make Himself known to the thief. After all, if the thief were to steal another person, he could be killed and so would eternally go to hell and then to the lake of fire and brimstone.

However, as Jesus takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked (Ezekiel 33:11), he came to call sinners to repentance (not the righteous - Matthew 9.12,13), to rescue the lost sheep (not the ninety-nine sheep which need no repentance - Luke 15:7), to restore the prodigal son (Luke 15: 24,32), then He brought the thief to us so that He might somehow manifest Himself through us who are vessels destined for His glory and honor (Romans 9.22, 23).

If it is for the thief to suffer and pay for everything he has done, our presence in this world becomes unnecessary. It is enough for Jesus to shut up and the thief himself will make his own evil fall on his head. We only have some use if, somehow, Jesus can use our life to confirm what Paul and Jesus said:

o   “Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:” (Romans 5.20).

o   “Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, [ the same ] loveth little.” (Luke 7.47).

Probably you still keep asking yourself: but Leonardo, what if sin is against the body? What would you do?

o   “Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body..” (1Corinthians 6.18).

Note how the sin of sexual immorality is placed on a special level. And no wonder! After all, marriage is the most sacred and important institution that exists. Just think that the first marriage (between Adam and Eve) was PERSONALLY celebrated by the Eternal. As soon as Adam saw himself in the woman, the Eternal made them one body (Genesis 2:24). As soon Eve was created, the Eternal married them.

The Eternal did not promote a course or seminar for couples, he did not say anything about religion, religious institution, etc. Much less sent an archangel, cherub, etc. To celebrate their marriage. He married them immediately.

Being, then, the marriage something so sacred, I doubt that the Eternal would allow the wife of a faithful man of God to be violated.

Look at the case of Abraham. Even he lying, saying that Sarah was only his sister, yet the Eternal prevented her from being possessed by Pharaoh (Genesis 12:17-20) and Abimelech, king of Gerar (Genesis 20).

See also the case of Job. The Eternal allowed Ha-Satan to touch the goods of Job, to take the life of the children of Job and even to fill Job with tumors. However, at no time Ha-Satan (or any of his cohorts) was allowed to touch a single hair of Job's wife.

We can go through many afflictions in this world (John 16:33), be persecuted for righteousness, be reviled, persecuted and lie victims for Jesus' sake and His Word (Matthew 5: 10,11), but never a genuine servant of Jesus Christ will ever see His wife in the hands of another. On the contrary:

o   “Blessed [ is ] every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy [ shalt ] thou [ be ], and [ it shall be ] well with thee. Thy wife [ shall be ] as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table.” (Psalms 128.1-3).

o   Blessed [ shall be ] the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy ground, and the fruit of thy cattle, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.” (Deuteronomy 28.4)

o   “And the LORD shall make thee plenteous in goods, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy ground, in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers to give thee. ” (Deuteronomy 28.4).

o   “Rid me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children, whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand [ is ] a right hand of falsehood: that our sons [ may be ] as plants grown up in their youth; [ that ] our daughters [ may be ] as corner stones, polished [ after ] the similitude of a palace:” (Psalms 144.11,12).

For those who are faithful to the Eternal, the home is surrounded by blessings and promises. Only those who refuse to listen to the voice of the Eternal can be victims of adultery, betrayal, rape, etc.:

o   “Thou shalt betroth a wife, and another man shall lie with her: thou shalt build an house, and thou shalt not dwell therein: thou shalt plant a vineyard, and shalt not gather the grapes thereof.” (Deuteronomy 28.30).

In short, if we are faithful to the Eternal, we can go through the most diverse adversities (Philippians 4: 11-13). In all of them we are already more than conquerors through Jesus who strengthens us (Romans 8:37). However, the Eternal will never allow the home so sacred and blessed that He built Himself to be adulterated:

o   “Então chegaram ao pé dele os fariseus, tentando-o e dizendo-lhe: É lícito ao homem repudiar sua mulher por qualquer motivo? Ele, porém, respondendo, disse-lhes: Não tendes lido que aquele que os fez no princípio macho e fêmea os fez, e disse: Portanto, deixará o homem pai e mãe, e se unirá a sua mulher, e serão dois numa só carne? Assim não são mais dois, mas uma só carne. Portanto, o que Deus ajuntou não o separe o homem. ” (Mateus 19.3-6).

What the Eternal does lasts forever:

o   “I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth [ it ], that [ men ] should fear before him.” (Ecclesiastes 3.14).

o   “I know that thou canst do every [ thing ], and [ that ] no thought can be withholden from thee.” (Job 42.2).

o   “I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when [ there was ] no strange [ god ] among you: therefore ye [ are ] my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I [ am ] God. Yea, before the day [ was ] I [ am ] he; and [ there is ] none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it?” (Isaiah 43.12,13).

The door that Jesus closes, nobody opens; The door He opens, no one closes (Revelation 3.7). What Jesus assembles, no one is able to separate.

In addition, it is worth remembering that:

o   “There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [ is ] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [ it ].” (1Corinthians 10.13).

o   “God [ is ] jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and [ is ] furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth [ wrath ] for his enemies. The LORD [ is ] slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit [ the wicked ]: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds [ are ] the dust of his feet.” (Nahum 1.2,3).

Based on all this, I ask that Jesus convert us more and more to Him (Lamentations 5:21), so that we never deny Him and His Word in any circumstance. Instead, may Jesus give us the eyesalve of Him (Revelation 3:18) so that we may see His way in every situation that comes to us, as well as faith and love to follow this path, in the certainty that the home of the righteous will never cease to be a true expression of the love of Jesus for His Bride (the Church).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,152
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The evidence of this issue being right or wrong actually lies in the nature of sin and it's seductive state of confusion... killing was started by Lucifer when he stole that which was given him to be for God's glory (his essence and abilities) instead using for himself and then convinced other angels of the lie, he set forth, in that he could be god! Death being a result of the rejection of God Who 'IS' Life... we have brought fourth an issue of being under the reliance of sin and then in puffed upness of reason, by faulty knowledge, as though we have the power to end the confusion that exists here by the very reason formed from here... good men are on both sides of this issue but one undeniable truth lies within the the schema of reason in all this- death did not exist in the righteousness of eternity past nor will it in the righteousness of eternity future. For me this is the answer and the immediate of now will pass away so why give to it more than just what is necessary... for what we give ourselves to here is investment of real estate of now~ but we are to be a people of eternal real estate....  Love, Steven 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

3 hours ago, Leonardo Von said:

Greetings John Robinson,

It is good to remember that there are two types of sin: sin outside the body and sin against one's own body. I understand your questioning, but we (starting with myself) can not abandon Jesus and the principles of Holy Scripture to defend ourselves. If we do this, even if, for the time being, we can get rid of the problem, we'll get bigger problems up front than the ones we already have.

We need to believe what the Holy Scripture says:

o   “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [ his ] purpose.” (Romans 8.28).

I know that when we are going through a struggle it is difficult to accept this truth. But the Holy Scripture is clear:

o   “If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but [ rather ] give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance [ is ] mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12.18-21).

o   “Finally, [ be ye ] all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, [ be ] pitiful, [ be ] courteous: not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing. For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it. For the eyes of the Lord [ are ] over the righteous, and his ears [ are open ] unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord [ is ] against them that do evil.” (1Peter 3.8-12).

o   “Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (1Thessalonians 5.16-18).

You may ask me: "But Leonardo, let us suppose that a thug threatens to rob all the assets of your house. What do you do: kill him, call the police or remain praying, trusting that more has Jesus to give than Ha-Satan to take? Sincerely, brother, I ask of Jesus all the faith and grace necessary to remain resting and waiting in the Eternal (Psalm 37: 7), fully convinced that:

o   If the thief can rob me, it is because the Eternal has brought him to do the cleaning in my house, so that the repressed, shaken and overflowing blessing that He has already brought can fit in it (Luke 6:38);

o   If the thief tortured me or anyone in my family, surely Jesus will be with us to keep us in peace and happiness in Him, just as He did with:

§  The apostles who, after being whipped, went forth rejoicing that they were judged worthy to suffer affront by the name of Jesus (Acts 5: 40,41).

§  Paul and Silas who, even after being whipped, bound and with their feet tied unjustly in the trunk, yet at midnight they were able to worship and praise the Eternal to such an extent that all the prisoners heard (Acts 16:22 -26).

§  Stephen who, when saw the heavens open to him and Jesus at the right hand of the Father, felt the sorrow of Jesus for having to judge His beloved people and for this, he asked the Eternal not to impute sin to them about what they were doing with him (Acts 7: 5-60).

o   If the thief kills me or someone in my family, we will be with Christ, which is incomparably better than staying in this world (Philippians 1:23).

o   If none of the above options is the will of the Eternal, then the thief will repent, convert to Christ, and then, we’ll be good friends and brethren in Christ.

Anyway, what we cannot forget is:

o   “Rejoice in the Lord alway: [ and ] again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [ is ] at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” (Phillipians 4.4-6).

We have to keep in mind that if the Eternal brought the thief to us (being us, of course, righteous in His presence), it is because He wants to save the thief. Jesus brought him to us so He could make Himself known to the thief. After all, if the thief were to steal another person, he could be killed and so would eternally go to hell and then to the lake of fire and brimstone.

However, as Jesus takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked (Ezekiel 33:11), he came to call sinners to repentance (not the righteous - Matthew 9.12,13), to rescue the lost sheep (not the ninety-nine sheep which need no repentance - Luke 15:7), to restore the prodigal son (Luke 15: 24,32), then He brought the thief to us so that He might somehow manifest Himself through us who are vessels destined for His glory and honor (Romans 9.22, 23).

If it is for the thief to suffer and pay for everything he has done, our presence in this world becomes unnecessary. It is enough for Jesus to shut up and the thief himself will make his own evil fall on his head. We only have some use if, somehow, Jesus can use our life to confirm what Paul and Jesus said:

o   “Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:” (Romans 5.20).

o   “Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, [ the same ] loveth little.” (Luke 7.47).

Probably you still keep asking yourself: but Leonardo, what if sin is against the body? What would you do?

o   “Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body..” (1Corinthians 6.18).

Note how the sin of sexual immorality is placed on a special level. And no wonder! After all, marriage is the most sacred and important institution that exists. Just think that the first marriage (between Adam and Eve) was PERSONALLY celebrated by the Eternal. As soon as Adam saw himself in the woman, the Eternal made them one body (Genesis 2:24). As soon Eve was created, the Eternal married them.

The Eternal did not promote a course or seminar for couples, he did not say anything about religion, religious institution, etc. Much less sent an archangel, cherub, etc. To celebrate their marriage. He married them immediately.

Being, then, the marriage something so sacred, I doubt that the Eternal would allow the wife of a faithful man of God to be violated.

Look at the case of Abraham. Even he lying, saying that Sarah was only his sister, yet the Eternal prevented her from being possessed by Pharaoh (Genesis 12:17-20) and Abimelech, king of Gerar (Genesis 20).

See also the case of Job. The Eternal allowed Ha-Satan to touch the goods of Job, to take the life of the children of Job and even to fill Job with tumors. However, at no time Ha-Satan (or any of his cohorts) was allowed to touch a single hair of Job's wife.

We can go through many afflictions in this world (John 16:33), be persecuted for righteousness, be reviled, persecuted and lie victims for Jesus' sake and His Word (Matthew 5: 10,11), but never a genuine servant of Jesus Christ will ever see His wife in the hands of another. On the contrary:

o   “Blessed [ is ] every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy [ shalt ] thou [ be ], and [ it shall be ] well with thee. Thy wife [ shall be ] as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table.” (Psalms 128.1-3).

o   Blessed [ shall be ] the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy ground, and the fruit of thy cattle, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.” (Deuteronomy 28.4)

o   “And the LORD shall make thee plenteous in goods, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy ground, in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers to give thee. ” (Deuteronomy 28.4).

o   “Rid me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children, whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand [ is ] a right hand of falsehood: that our sons [ may be ] as plants grown up in their youth; [ that ] our daughters [ may be ] as corner stones, polished [ after ] the similitude of a palace:” (Psalms 144.11,12).

For those who are faithful to the Eternal, the home is surrounded by blessings and promises. Only those who refuse to listen to the voice of the Eternal can be victims of adultery, betrayal, rape, etc.:

o   “Thou shalt betroth a wife, and another man shall lie with her: thou shalt build an house, and thou shalt not dwell therein: thou shalt plant a vineyard, and shalt not gather the grapes thereof.” (Deuteronomy 28.30).

In short, if we are faithful to the Eternal, we can go through the most diverse adversities (Philippians 4: 11-13). In all of them we are already more than conquerors through Jesus who strengthens us (Romans 8:37). However, the Eternal will never allow the home so sacred and blessed that He built Himself to be adulterated:

o   “Então chegaram ao pé dele os fariseus, tentando-o e dizendo-lhe: É lícito ao homem repudiar sua mulher por qualquer motivo? Ele, porém, respondendo, disse-lhes: Não tendes lido que aquele que os fez no princípio macho e fêmea os fez, e disse: Portanto, deixará o homem pai e mãe, e se unirá a sua mulher, e serão dois numa só carne? Assim não são mais dois, mas uma só carne. Portanto, o que Deus ajuntou não o separe o homem. ” (Mateus 19.3-6).

What the Eternal does lasts forever:

o   “I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth [ it ], that [ men ] should fear before him.” (Ecclesiastes 3.14).

o   “I know that thou canst do every [ thing ], and [ that ] no thought can be withholden from thee.” (Job 42.2).

o   “I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when [ there was ] no strange [ god ] among you: therefore ye [ are ] my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I [ am ] God. Yea, before the day [ was ] I [ am ] he; and [ there is ] none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it?” (Isaiah 43.12,13).

The door that Jesus closes, nobody opens; The door He opens, no one closes (Revelation 3.7). What Jesus assembles, no one is able to separate.

In addition, it is worth remembering that:

o   “There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [ is ] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [ it ].” (1Corinthians 10.13).

o   “God [ is ] jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and [ is ] furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth [ wrath ] for his enemies. The LORD [ is ] slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit [ the wicked ]: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds [ are ] the dust of his feet.” (Nahum 1.2,3).

Based on all this, I ask that Jesus convert us more and more to Him (Lamentations 5:21), so that we never deny Him and His Word in any circumstance. Instead, may Jesus give us the eyesalve of Him (Revelation 3:18) so that we may see His way in every situation that comes to us, as well as faith and love to follow this path, in the certainty that the home of the righteous will never cease to be a true expression of the love of Jesus for His Bride (the Church).

Leo, if you can live with a man raping your wife while you do nothing to defend her, more power to you. Me, I'd do everything I could, up to and including putting a round in his brainpan. I guess I'm just not that saved yet.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

16 hours ago, Mateo said:

Dear brother Mateo,

In consideration of your question, here is the answer: it is impossible for anyone to be a follower of Jesus Christ and, at the same time, be a member of the political, judicial or police system. After all, the concepts and values of Jesus and His kingdom are totally opposed to the system that rules this world:

·        “If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before [ it hated ] you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.” (John 15.18,19).

·        “Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.” (1John 4.4-6).

·        “Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.” (James 4.4).

See what Jesus said about His kingdom:

·        “Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.” (João 18.36).

·        “And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.” (Luke 17.20,21).

See what Isaiah said about seeking help in Egypt (namely, in the military or legal system of this world):

·        “Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin: that walk to go down into Egypt, and have not asked at my mouth; to strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh, and to trust in the shadow of Egypt! Therefore shall the strength of Pharaoh be your shame, and the trust in the shadow of Egypt [ your ] confusion.” (Isaiah 30.1-3).

·        Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because [ they are ] many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek the LORD! Yet he also [ is ] wise, and will bring evil, and will not call back his words: but will arise against the house of the evildoers, and against the help of them that work iniquity. Now the Egyptians [ are ] men, and not God; and their horses flesh, and not spirit. When the LORD shall stretch out his hand, both he that helpeth shall fall, and he that is holpen shall fall down, and they all shall fail together.” (Isaiah 31.1-3).

Finally, look at what Jesus and James said:

·        “For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:” (John 5.22).

·        “Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up. Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of [ his ] brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?” (James 4.10-12).

Note that there is only one Lawgiver and Judge, who is Jesus, whose kingdom is not of this world.

Therefore, it is not for us to judge or condemn anyone, much less strive for a better world, as many religious have suggested, using evangelism as an excuse to gain power in this world.

Dear brothers and sisters, I believe we are confusing the message of the gospel! When Jesus called Peter, he did not tell him to commit himself so that He could reign over everything and everyone (this time is reserved for the millennium). Instead, look again at what Jesus said:

·        “And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” (Matthew 4.18,19).

Notice that Jesus did not call Peter to make his fishing company prosper, but so that all the peoples of the earth would see that the name of the Eternal is invoked upon him (see Deuteronomy 28:10; James 2: 7).

That is, the gospel consists in fishing the individuals out of the sea of this world so that they can prepare for the coming of Christ (and not to make them great in the world - contrary to Luke 16:15).

And how should they be prepared?

·        “So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, [ son ] of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, [ son ] of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, [ son ] of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.” (John 21.15-17).

They were not to be prepared like ferocious lions in order to get out shredding all the wolves. Rather they should be cordial (docile) as lambs, simple and harmless as doves (Matthew 10:16, Romans 16:19).

Or, if you prefer, as Paul did:

·        “For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present [ you as ] a chaste virgin to Christ. But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.(2Corinthians 11.2,3).

For all this you already see clearly as the role of police officer, politician, judge, lawyer, prosecutor, etc. Does not fit within the pattern established by the Eternal. Nevertheless, to further strengthen our faith and the faith of our beloved brethren, let us consider a few more verses:

·        Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [ is ] in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.” (Matthew 7.1-6).

Brothers, we have to take the Holy Scripture seriously! This here is to be followed by ALL who claim to be of Jesus. After all, the holy things (gifts and talents) that the Eternal gave us are to enable us to watch over our pearls (individuals that Jesus gave us), instead of throwing them to the "pigs", namely, those who Have they no acceptance before the Eternal.

If we really want to be rich toward the Lord (Luke 12:21), we must have patience with the pearls he gave us so that Jesus will make them more and more pure, so that they may take place at the doors of our New Jerusalem (see Rev. 21:21).

In other words: instead of judging and condemning these pearls, let's hide them close to us (1 Corinthians 12: 22-25). After all, they are our inheritance, our blessing (1 Peter 3: 8-9).

Hence Jesus says:

·        “But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.” (Matthew 5.44,45).

Jesus did not ask us to do this: He ordained it! Only by living this can Jesus make us children of the Eternal (John 1:12). Who really wants to belong to Jesus has to walk as He walked, do the works that He did:

·        “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [ works ] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.” (John 14.12).

·        “He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.” (1John 2.6).

And how did Jesus proceed?

·        “And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw [ this ], they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save [ them ]. And they went to another village.” (Luke 9.52-56).

·        “And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom. And when the ten heard [ it ], they were moved with indignation against the two brethren. But Jesus called them [ unto him ], and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; and whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20.21,24-28).

That is, our role is not to dominate over individuals, much less to judge them and exterminate them because of their sin. Instead, our role is to give up our lives so they can be rescued.

Finally, may the Eternal give us a heart that can only find joy in the salvation that is in Christ Jesus:

·        We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up [ our ] banners: the LORD fulfil all thy petitions. Now know I that the LORD saveth his anointed; he will hear him from his holy heaven with the saving strength of his right hand. Some [ trust ] in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.” (Psalms 20.5-7).

May Jesus free us to trust and, above all, to delight in the powers and authorities of this world.

·        “He delighteth not in the strength of the horse: he taketh not pleasure in the legs of a man. The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.” (PSalms 147.10,11).       

May the Holy Spirit make of these verses the essence of our prayer (Romans 8:26):

·        “Whom have I in heaven [ but thee ]? and [ there is ] none upon earth [ that ] I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: [ but ] God [ is ] the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.” (Psalms 73.25,26).      

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

It is our grandson's goal to become a police officer.  He is a strong Christian and is attending a Christian college, working his way through school.  We need more Christians in law enforcement.  Our church has a strong showing of police officers and also has a jail ministry. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Thou shalt not MURDER is a better translation of the commandment.

Killing (when justified) as a soldier defending the nation, as a law officer defending the public, as a parent defending a child, as self defense... on and on... is BIBLICAL.

To kill unjustly is what we are commanded not to do.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Thou shalt not murder... (in the 10 commandments)

And the Law of Moses spells out the many forms of capital punishment.

No contradiction.