IGNORED

What does the Bible say about animal rights, if anything?

gerbilwoman

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

I have very strong beliefs when it comes to animal rights.  I don't believe it is okay to eat factory farmed animal products.  Therefore, I eat very few animal products only from specific farms.  If I eat any animal products (not just meat) or anything that contains animal products that could have been factory farmed I feel very bad about myself and feel like a sinner and find myself praying for the animals and asking God for forgiveness.  I do feel it is okay to kill animals for food, we just need to slaughter animals humanely and treat them with kindness.  I also don't believe in wearing animals products or that cosmetics should be tested on animals.  

To get to my question, what does the Bible say about animal rights?  I've long questioned my faith and lately I feel it would be unacceptable for me to be of a religion that doesn't feel similarly to me.  I mean no offense to anyone.  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1866

The Bible says nothing of animal rights that I'm aware of.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Genesis 1:26

“And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.”

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What does the Bible say about animal rights?"

Answer:
The Word of God does not mention the treatment of animals to a great extent. However, from the creation account we get both what the Bible says about animals and how we must treat them. In Genesis 1 we find the creation of all things. It is here that we see God establishing the relationship between man and animal. In verse 28 God gives to man authority over all that was created on earth. Man is to take care of and use the earth. Man is to have the authority over all that was created. This means that man is to assume the control and protection of all that God had created. We must be careful in this role.

However, it is important to notice what God does after the sin of man. Genesis 3 gives to us the details of the first sin man commits. In verse 21 God prepares for mankind a covering out of skin, and for the first time an animal dies. The implications of this flow throughout the Word of God; because of man's sin, death has entered the world. However, for our discussion on animals, it is important to understand that the animals are to be used by men for our needs.

In Genesis 9 there is a change in man’s relation to animals. Up to this point, animals were not used as food. However, God now includes certain animals in the diet of mankind. God also puts fear of man into the animals. Again, animals are used to fill the needs of men. However, God repeats His command in verse two to watch over these animals.

Animal cruelty should not take place if men truly understand the command to be “caretakers” of the earth. We are to control the numbers of animals so disease and sickness do not kill them off; we are to use the animals for our needs; we are to control animals in a manner in which they are not harmful to humans; and finally we should protect them from over-killing and abuse. The problem lies in the fact that many do not understand this balance and tend to over-protect or under-protect animals. Animals were created for us to enjoy, so protecting a remnant for others to enjoy is also proper. Proverbs 12:10 tells us, "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."

https://gotquestions.org/animal-rights.html

Guest bonnieschamberger

I understand those feelings and sensitivities...Ive been vegetarian for years and years now and relatives still bother me about it as if there arent other vegetarians in the world...I feel more of a conviciton not to eat flesh than I do to eat it and I cant help that.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, gerbilgirl said:

To get to my question, what does the Bible say about animal rights?

Well, actually the Bible says absolutely nothing about "animal rights".  By the same token, cruelty to animals (or any creature) is evil, so those who take pleasure in hurting animals are sinning against God.  As for the slaughter of animals for meat, God has permitted that without any allowance for cruelty.  When hunting was the primary source of meat, hunters generally only killed what was necessary, but did not wantonly destroy animals. 

You are willing to risk your soul because you think that GOD may not agree with YOU about animal rights? Seems like you may have your priorities right. You have to agree with GOD, not the opposite.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

12 hours ago, gerbilgirl said:

I have very strong beliefs when it comes to animal rights.  I don't believe it is okay to eat factory farmed animal products.  Therefore, I eat very few animal products only from specific farms.  If I eat any animal products (not just meat) or anything that contains animal products that could have been factory farmed I feel very bad about myself and feel like a sinner and find myself praying for the animals and asking God for forgiveness.  I do feel it is okay to kill animals for food, we just need to slaughter animals humanely and treat them with kindness.  I also don't believe in wearing animals products or that cosmetics should be tested on animals.  

To get to my question, what does the Bible say about animal rights?  I've long questioned my faith and lately I feel it would be unacceptable for me to be of a religion that doesn't feel similarly to me.  I mean no offense to anyone.  

@gerbilgirl Hiya :) 

You can feel strongly about animal rights AND still be a follower of Jesus. It's not an either/or proposition necessarily. However, the Bible doesn't really speak to eating factory farmed animals. The Bible also doesn't really speak to how to slaughter animals. It also doesn't really address wearing animal products or using cosmetics tested on animals. Sounds like this is a personal conviction and one that you hold dear to your heart.

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I have to echo what another poster has said.  Are you truly willing to cast your immortal soul away merely because you "think" that Christianity is a religion of animal haters?  That burdens me.

To answer your question......

Not only does the Bible say nothing about animal rights - it says nothing about human rights.  Well, not in the way that most people today think of human rights - that is what is "owed" to them by society.

Humans are created God's image and because of that we should behave like him and that should lead to [1] the humane treatment of animals, even when we kill and eat them and [2] the loving treatment of other people.  We, as humans created by God, have more of a responsibility TO God than a right owed to us by the world.

God said a lot about how we are to consider/treat animals [not their "rights" but our responsibility as caretakers to make sure there is no abuse or cruelty]:

• Proverbs 12:10 = “Whoever is righteous has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel."

• Proverbs 27:23 = “Know well the condition of your flocks, and give attention to your herds…”

• Exodus 20:10 = "...but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates." [Even the animals were included in the Sabbath - the day of rest]

• Proverbs 6:6-8 ="Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest" [We can learn serious principles from even the ants.]

• Matthew 18:12 = “How think ye? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them is gone astray, does he not leave the ninety and nine, and go into the mountains, and seek that which is gone astray?” [Granted, there was a deeper principle than just the one lost sheep, but this was the example given to make the point.]

There's a LOT more, but you get the idea.

As humans, we are allowed to eat animals, use them to help us with heavy burdens, and as in the story Nathan told to David - they can be our beloved companions.

No, we cannot abuse them or show cruelty to them.  The Bible teaches against that.

We are also - as images of God - to show love to our human neighbors as Christ loved us and lead them to the Lord.  That's the bigger issue at hand.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

5 hours ago, Jayne said:

Not only does the Bible say nothing about animal rights - it says nothing about human rights.  Well, not in the way that most people today think of human rights - that is what is "owed" to them by society.

Humans are created God's image and because of that we should behave like him and that should lead to [1] the humane treatment of animals, even when we kill and eat them and [2] the loving treatment of other people.  We, as humans created by God, have more of a responsibility TO God than a right owed to us by the world.

I would disagree here. There's 3 basic types of human rights. There are very few rights we are given by nature of our status as humans and any of these can be taken away by impersonal circumstances.

A. What about human rights as our God-given lifestyle?

Most of the rights identified by the lifestyle God ordained are not universal - even the ideal situation does not guarantee everyone the opportunity to partake. However, these are situations that God has designed for our benefit. Some examples include:

1 - Marriage (See Genesis 2:24)
2 - Family (See Psalm 127:5)
3 - Opportunity to work (See 2 Thessalonians 3:10)
4 - To be part of a group for safety and identity (See Numbers 33:54)

These "rights" are things that may be taken away by the side effects of living in a sin-filled world and the degradation of society.

B. What about human rights as God-defined justice?

This category is stronger. Instead of trying to interpret the message of nature, we can see God's justice in His word. Rights as defined by justice, for the most part, are comprised of ways in which people should not be victimized. Rights as defined by justice, for the most part, are comprised of ways in which people should not be victimized. Here are a few examples listed in the Bible:

5 - To not be murdered (See Exodus 20:13)
6 - To not be robbed (See Exodus 20:15)
7 - To not be insulted (See Matthew 5:22)
8 - To not be kidnapped/enslaved (See Exodus 21:16)
9 - To not be cheated on in one's marriage (See Exodus 20:14)
10 - To not be lied about (See Exodus 20:16)
11 - To not be disrespected by children (See Exodus 20:12)
12 - To not be cheated in business (See Proverbs 16:11)
13 - To not be victimized by society such that one's life is threatened (See Deuteronomy 14:29; 24:17)
14 - To not be raped (See Deuteronomy 22:25-27)
15 - To not be denied access to a place to worship God (See John 2:11-12)
16 - To not be defenseless (See Exodus 22:2-3)
17 - To not be denied reconciliation after apologizing for an offense (See Matthew 18:22)
18 - To not to be barred from entering a land that is safe (See Leviticus 19:34)
19 - To learn about God (See Deuteronomy 6:7)

C. What about human rights as God-ordained mercy?

When speaking of rights in the Bible, God rarely mentions what rights we should demand. Instead, He tells us what we are responsible for. This is seen in most of the laws on justice, but He also tells us to go beyond justice and into mercy. As an absolute, justice would require we all go to hell. In response to Jesus' sacrifice, we are to emulate Him and extend mercy.

20 - Return another's possessions (See Exodus 23:4)
21 - Help another's need (See Exodus 23:5)
22 - Feed the needy (See Deuteronomy 24:19)
23 - Sacrifice your investment for another's safety (See Deuteronomy 24:17)

God bless,
GE