IGNORED

What does the Bible say about animal rights, if anything?

gerbilwoman

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you everyone.  I don't hate Christians for eating animals, I just don't agree with it and animal rights are very important to me.  Maybe I can have both.  

Edited by gerbilgirl

16 hours ago, Yowm said:

Then maybe it's time to set aside 'religion' and receive the Lamb of God sacrificed for your sins.

Are you saying being kind to animals is a sin?  Since when?

Edit- Maybe that was not what you were trying to say.  I'm sorry I don't understand.

Edited by gerbilgirl

5 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

You are willing to risk your soul because you think that GOD may not agree with YOU about animal rights? Seems like you may have your priorities right. You have to agree with GOD, not the opposite.

To me it feels like God agrees with me.

Edited by gerbilgirl

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

I would disagree here. There's 3 basic types of human rights. There are very few rights we are given by nature of our status as humans and any of these can be taken away by impersonal circumstances.

And I would have to disagree with you and the author of that list - but in terms of semantics.

Part B of that list deals in our "rights" to NOT BE ..... murdered, stolen from, ....etc.  It's written in the passive voice and in the negative. If those are rights as society defines the word, then to be just and have those rights enforced, God would have to protect us at all times from them and we are not.  God is now liable.

I see these as responsibilities in the active voice.  "Honor thy father and mother".  Even in active voice with a negative.  "You shall not lie."

When we see these as responsibilities, the onus is upon us - where it should be.  To say that I have a right "not to be murdered", puts the culpability on whom?  Not me.

I'll say that we are probably discussing the same thing but with a slightly different point of view.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

We consider ourselves to be animal lovers.  We worship God for His marvelous beautiful creation.

I know some people who have changed religions from following Christ to following the religion of the Native Americans, which is animism.  A person who does this may not be truly saved because no one who has a real relationship with Jesus and can call Father God "Daddy" through the Holy Spirit, none of these would be able to give up that relationship with the Living God to worship His creation.  Fish, wolves, whales, grasshoppers, coyotes, and other creatures did not create you.  Your Savior Jesus created you.  Worship is due Him alone.  He alone took your sins upon the cross and died in your place for you.  Forgiveness comes through Him, not through the animals.  

You should by all means follow your conscience unless your "conscience" be the deception of satanic lies which would lead you away from worshipping Christ.  Pride and rebellion were the sins of satan.  Please ask God to search your heart and see if there is any wicked way in you.

Mat 11:16  "But to what shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their companions, Mat 11:17  and saying: 'We played the flute for you, And you did not dance; We mourned to you, And you did not lament.'

To me this means that Jesus came to reveal the Father to us and to die for us.   But the children of Israel wanted the Warrior Christ who would deliver them from Roman rule.  He didn't dance to their tune.  He danced to His Father's tune and only did and said what the Father did and gave Him to say.  That is what I consider the nominal Christians to be--fickle children who want to recreate Christianity to their own specifications rather than humbling themselves and surrendering themselves to the Living God and His Word.  They instead throw temper tantrums.  So I would even advise you to distance yourself from your friends who despise Christianity and Christians for not dancing to their tune and their ideas.  They will certainly lead you astray.

Rom 1:18  ESV For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. Rom 1:19  For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. Rom 1:20  For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Rom 1:21  For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Rom 1:22  Claiming to be wise, they became fools, Rom 1:23  and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

God's creation, the animals and nature are marvelous and show us God's nature, His power, majesty and wisdom.  To know Him better we read the words of Jesus and the other writings that God inspired in the Bible.  

Blessings,

Willa

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I am ok for using animals for food. But not the abuse in handling those animals. I am definitely not ok with a pet owner abusing their animals. That happens way too often.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

30 minutes ago, eileenhat said:

I found that as you get closer to God, in your walk, the need for meat vanishes.

Just my experience.

Is that a universal truth?

I could only offer opinion.

Hi, Eileen -

This is what the Bible says about that:  1 Corinthians 10:31 = "Whatever you eat, whatever you drink, or whatever you do, do it to the glory of God."

Now we know Paul doesn't meant drink two six-packs of beer for the glory of God, because the Bible condemns drunkenness.  And he doesn't mean to eat a whole dozen doughnuts at once because the Bible condemns gluttony.  And as for "whatever you do", he isn't talking about running down the street buck naked with a rainbow wig on you head singing "It's Not Easy Being Green" by Kermit the Frog.

So what does he mean?

It means that if you, Eileen, feel a need to eat less meat - do it for God's glory - in gratitude for him for the rest of what you can eat and to exalt him - not animals.

And for me, it means that when I eat a piece of fried chicken or a steak - *I* will do so in gratitude to God for supplying my need for meat and to exalt him.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

21 hours ago, gerbilgirl said:

I have very strong beliefs when it comes to animal rights.  I don't believe it is okay to eat factory farmed animal products.  Therefore, I eat very few animal products only from specific farms.  If I eat any animal products (not just meat) or anything that contains animal products that could have been factory farmed I feel very bad about myself and feel like a sinner and find myself praying for the animals and asking God for forgiveness.  I do feel it is okay to kill animals for food, we just need to slaughter animals humanely and treat them with kindness.  I also don't believe in wearing animals products or that cosmetics should be tested on animals.  

To get to my question, what does the Bible say about animal rights?  I've long questioned my faith and lately I feel it would be unacceptable for me to be of a religion that doesn't feel similarly to me.  I mean no offense to anyone.  

I don't know if the Bible says anything. But animal cruelty makes me cry. It also makes me very angry! I think it is the ideal of something unable to defend it self being hurt. As I also feel these same feelings towards children, the helpless, and the old. I don't go to circuses if they have animals especially elephants because I see it has being a sad life for such a beautiful animal to be living. I find nothing entertainment about it.  To me it is like watching sadness. One came to town here this past summer and I sent emails to the city hall letting them know how disappointed I was in them to allow such cruelty to be part of our town. I try to start a protest but couldn't find anyone to join me.  Anyway, I wont eat  veal because I think it is mean to eat a little baby moo cows.  I hope this does not seem like judging but I can't see a Christian being  deliberately cure to animals.  I'm not talking about eating them. I mean real cruelty.  Beating or starving an animal to death out of just not caring. That is what I mean. It is all so heartbreaking for me. 

1 hour ago, Davida said:

Who fed you with this belief that it is not right to eat animals?   PETA??  Your going to chose them to have greater influence on you then the  Bible ? you are choosing PETA over salvation ?  Christianity is not a country club , there is only one path to heaven, to forgiveness of your sins and that is by the Lamb of GOD, the Lord Jesus Christ who lay down His life to pay the penalty for your sins if you would turn away from the world and believe solely and soulfully upon HIM.  John 3:16

It also seems to me that you are making the common mistake to limit God to your own finite, puny, human  understanding and try to make this image of GOD conform to your whims & opinions - or else? ..... does that not seem foolish?  How bout you meet the real GOD that is in the pages of the Bible.

Gee Davida that seem a bit harsh and someone judgmental. To judge another person's walk with Christ like you just did. Gerbilgirl did not say she didn't eat meat. She said she dosn't eat meat from factory farms.  Have you ever seen a factory farm? They are awful places. I say good for you Gerbilegirl. If Gerbilegirl feels it is wrong for her to eat animals from a factory farm then she shouldn't do so.  You need to look at how you are talking to others Davida and stop being so quick to judge another person's walk with Christ.  And yes I know I will get a backlash from you for posting this. But you feel the need to point out other's sin so I feel the need to point out yours.  I feel that you are being harsh in your judgment of another. 

Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on his opinions. Romans 14:2

Edited by LadyKay

4 hours ago, gerbilgirl said:

Thank you everyone.  I don't hate Christians for eating animals, I just don't agree with it and animal rights are very important to me.  Maybe I can have both.  

Yes my dear you can! You can fight for the rights of animals and be a Christian. :bighug2: