IGNORED

What does the Bible say about animal rights, if anything?

gerbilwoman

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you everyone.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 12/7/2016 at 9:05 PM, gerbilgirl said:

I have very strong beliefs when it comes to animal rights.  I don't believe it is okay to eat factory farmed animal products.  Therefore, I eat very few animal products only from specific farms.  If I eat any animal products (not just meat) or anything that contains animal products that could have been factory farmed I feel very bad about myself and feel like a sinner and find myself praying for the animals and asking God for forgiveness.  I do feel it is okay to kill animals for food, we just need to slaughter animals humanely and treat them with kindness.  I also don't believe in wearing animals products or that cosmetics should be tested on animals.  

To get to my question, what does the Bible say about animal rights?  I've long questioned my faith and lately I feel it would be unacceptable for me to be of a religion that doesn't feel similarly to me.  I mean no offense to anyone.  

Fortunately there is a great movement to get away from factory forced growth  animals, and also  any food grain with additives.

Personally  I think many if not most engineered foods are suspect. But many ( people) have also been fed  somewhat less expesively because  of the higher production per acre of engineered seeds.

I suspect we are going to find, if granted the time, that we need to stop  putting housing over our best  farmlands and then trying to farm  our sufficient for housing  development lands with  lots of artificial  supplements to aid growth.

BUT you asked about the Bible, and so yes the Bible does very definitely urge responsible care of animals, as well as the use of animals for food. There are conversations debates and arguments over the guidelines within the Bible all the time. The whole concept of kosher food as example. All the arguments are based upon what  individuals and groups have concluded they are being told to do  within the Bible.

The subject of salvation is couched in terms of food stuffs  food needs and animal uses. My Lord Jesus is declared to  be God and is also the lamb that was sacrificed  for me. And (He is) not just any lamb, He is declared to be the unblemished sacrifice.  The only one sufficient for the covering and settlement of the cost, in wrath  by God the Father, for my own sins.

As for me I understand in terms of animals, their rights, the principle of the sacrifice Jesus made for me personally.

So, you may not want Jesus in your life, good enough  for me, but you asked about  animal rights in the Bible, I suggest that yes it is found throughout the Bible, from Old Testament accounts through  New Testament history and commands. My Lord and savior is the good shepherd, He cares for the sheep, and He does not lose a one of the flock given to Him by His Father. Like all shepherds he valued his sheep highly, even  to the point of dying for them.

And then He arose again  conquering that final enemy, death itself. But, I understand, you are not much interested in that aspect of eternal life.  Kinda a shame I think, for you are obviously quite interested in animals, their conditions and use by man, but not  much interested it seems to me in their very creator, the one that loves them more than  any of us might love them, for none were created except that He did make them. He is Jesus. See  Colossians 1:16

Edited by Neighbor
to clarify a sentence and correct a typo

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

Thank you @Neighbor.

Welcome. I'll try to follow along on your thread to see what others might have knowledge of for our mutual benefit.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

On 12/7/2016 at 9:05 PM, gerbilgirl said:

I have very strong beliefs when it comes to animal rights.  I don't believe it is okay to eat factory farmed animal products.  Therefore, I eat very few animal products only from specific farms.  If I eat any animal products (not just meat) or anything that contains animal products that could have been factory farmed I feel very bad about myself and feel like a sinner and find myself praying for the animals and asking God for forgiveness.  I do feel it is okay to kill animals for food, we just need to slaughter animals humanely and treat them with kindness.  I also don't believe in wearing animals products or that cosmetics should be tested on animals.  

To get to my question, what does the Bible say about animal rights?  I've long questioned my faith and lately I feel it would be unacceptable for me to be of a religion that doesn't feel similarly to me.  I mean no offense to anyone.  

Recently I led Bible study at Church on book of Jonah. Saw something which I had never seen before. At the end of book, we see this verse

11 And should not I pity Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know their right hand from their left, and also much cattle?”

Lord is extending His compassion to cattle (animals). All through the book, we see different creatures involved in God's redemption of Nineveh and Jonah. Whale, worm, plant. It is important to remember animals are also God's creation and they are part of God's plan and purpose. At the same time, Bible makes it clear man has dominion over all animals.

Balance is the most important thing. It is wrong to over protect animals and say they have all rights humans have. Bible does not say that. At the same time it is wrong to under-protect and treat them extremely bad. Because they are also God's creation.