• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

7 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

which makes the no call list useless

N0, not at all.  If you're on that list most telemarketers won't call you and, if they do, you simply remind them that they are in violation of the law by calling you.  You won't hear from them again.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Legitimate telemarketers will abide by your request "Put me on your DNC list"...they do not want to get fines or lose their State License,if they did not know & you tell them "This number is a registered DNC # with the FTC",they will not call again.......the problem is that most of the annoying & persistent callers are not legitimate & they could care less,they "spoof" their own # & can make whatever they want to appear on your caller ID.....then there are the "fishing" calls,as long as you answer the phone,your number is then "live" & guess what? It is sold  as a "live lead"....

Best not to answer unknown callers,unknown numbers....legitimate callers will leave a message & say why they are calling.......I simply do not answer......

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

37 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Huh? You give them your phone number to block it.

Legitimate companies will follow the guidelines of the No Call List.  Legitimate companies account for about 5% of all telemarketing and such calls.  The rest are made by people who use fake phone numbers and hope to get that 1 in a 1000 person to answer them and fall for the scam.  I was called today by a very official sounding agency, which left me a voice mail. They did not use my name at all just told me to call them back.  A 2 minute google search found pages of scam warnings, court cases they have lost and even a warning from the State of Washington Sec of State's office.  

Technology makes it too easy to hide and too easy to dial 50,000 numbers an hour. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Thats right (I just said that?)& most States prohibit the use of most auto-dialers or the guidelines are very very strict ,so guess who's calling...lol

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

18 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Legitimate companies will follow the guidelines of the No Call List.  Legitimate companies account for about 5% of all telemarketing and such calls.  The rest are made by people who use fake phone numbers and hope to get that 1 in a 1000 person to answer them and fall for the scam.  I was called today by a very official sounding agency, which left me a voice mail. They did not use my name at all just told me to call them back.  A 2 minute google search found pages of scam warnings, court cases they have lost and even a warning from the State of Washington Sec of State's office.  

Technology makes it too easy to hide and too easy to dial 50,000 numbers an hour. 

Ok I see your point. So no matter what you will probably get a few unwanted calls.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

5 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

yes you are right oots; the exchange (first 3 digits ) can only have 10,000 numbers ( 322- 0000 to 9999 ) assigned to it. so a town with 5 of these 3 digit exchanges has 50,000 phone numbers available for use 5 exchanges x 10,000 is 50,000 if like my town we have ( 215 and 597 ) 2 exchanges or 20,000 numbers available. So it is easy enough to have a machine or a person call every number in exchange 476 because there only 10, 000 numbers in each exchange 0000 to 9999. ofcourse these are land lines not cell phones.

One can locate the number most times by going here http://800notes.com/ 

and put in the number