• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

The study of the Revelation, aka Book of Revelations need not be cryptic and mysterious. What I have had the best luck doing is starting with a straight forward outline and take it by blocks. The Revelation falls naturally into three parts, the Seals (ch. 1-7), the Trumpets (ch. 8-14), the Vials of Wrath (ch. 15-21). There are other things going on but at the heart of the emphasis are the judgments of God being visited on earth in preparation for the return of Christ. Whether you are 'pre.', 'mid.' or 'post' tribulation with regards to the rapture you'll find that the outline isn't going to change. I have two outlines, one for the chapters and another for the judgments, specifically the: seals, trumpets and vials. I like a little shorthand notation for the judgments for the sake of brevity and like to look at the big picture before dealing with the details: 

1) The Revelation of the Son of Man
2) 7 Letters to the 7 Churches
3) 7 Letters continued
4) 7 Lamps of fire (Menorah)
5) 7 Seals to be opened by the Lamb
6) 7 Seals opened, S-1 (seal one) thru S-5
7) The 144,000 sealed, the world hides from the Lamb

8) S-7 Silence, Trumpets sounded (T-1 thru T4)
9) T-5 Locusts, T-6 Euphrates
10) The Angel and the Little Book
11) The Two Witnesses clothed in sackcloth
12) The Woman, Child, Dragon
13) The Beast of the Land and the Beast of the Sea
14) 3 Angels proclaim: 144,000, Gospel, Wrath on 666

15) 7 Angels given the 7 Vials of Wrath
16) Vials of Wrath: V-1 thru V-7
17) Babylon and the Beast with 7 heads
18) The wine of the wrath of her fall
19) The wedding feast of the Lamb
20) The Dragon bound 1,000 years
21) The New Jerusalem

22) The Healing of the Nations

The return of Christ is one of our most important prophecies in Scripture, as yet unfulfilled. Christians are understandably anxious since our faith is focused on the time when faith shall give way to seeing him as he is and to be changed into his perfect likeness. Additionally the Bible predicts a time of unparalleled suffering and destruction, this is a necessary part of the redemption of earth from the evil influences of Satan, his angels and agents of evil in the worldly system: 

Seals
1) The White Rider with a crown and a bow.
2) The Red Rider with a great sword.
3) The Black Rider with a scale.
4) The Pale Rider, death and hell follow.
5) Martyrs beneath the altar
6) The Wrath of the Lamb
7) Silence in heaven.

Trumpets
1) A third of the earth was burned up.
2) A third of the sea turned into blood.
3) A third of the waters turned bitter
4) A third of the sun, moon and stars struck.
5) The Locusts from the Abyss.
6) The Four Angels and the Euphrates.
7) Thy Kingdom come.

Vials of Wrath
1) Ugly, festering sores
2) Sea turned to blood.
3) Springs turned to blood.
4) Sun scorch.
5) Throne of the Beast struck.
6) Armageddon.
7) Global Earthquake.

When I was in school I did a paper on the vision of the Son of Man in the opening chapter. It is very reminiscent of the appearance of the High Priest including some inference of a breast plate (ephod) and the lampstand (menorah). Obviously I can't expect anyone to respond to every detail but I would suggest just scanning the material and seeing what might be of interest. I'm hoping for a detailed exposition with some exegetical notes thrown as word searches. 

Vision of the Son of Man

The opening scene is Jesus Christ in his glorified state, bearing some resemblance to the High Priest, more on that later. There are seven lamps but what is probably in light here is the seven pronged menorah which was gold, hollow and filled with oil. It burned continually in the Holy Place and is used as a figure of the Church.

Authorship and Date
The author identifies himself simply as John (Rev. 1:1; 4:9; 22:8). John is exiled from Ephesus to the island of Patmos for, 'the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ' (Rev. 1:10b), when he is shown a series of visions related to the return of Christ (Rev. 1:7). Traditionally the author is understood to be the Apostle John. Second century writers including 'Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria and Tertullian', attest to the author being the Apostle John (MacArthur, 1999). Justin Martyr, for example, in his Dialogue with Trypho expressly identifies the author as, "John, one of the apostles of Christ" (Justin, p. 603). The dating of the composition of the Revelation appears to go back to Irenaeus, quoted by the church historian Eusebius as having said that it was, 'close to the end of the reign of Domitian's reign' (Cruse, 101-102), which would place the composition about 95 AD. Others would put the dating around, 'the end of the reign of the Roman Emperor Nero between 54-68 AD' (Ruiz, 2153). Jean-Pierre Ruiz, in the previously cited introduction from the Oxford Study Bible, seems to have taken the middle ground on the dating saying, ''it probably reached it's final form toward the end of the reign of the Roman emperor Domitian' who reigned from 81-96 AD. What the early date (68 AD) and the late date (95 AD) have in common is that there was severe persecution of Christians at the time. Nero's persecution while horribly cruel was mostly in Rome, while under Domitian it was more widespread but not as severe. Either way, the writing of the book comes at a time when the church is facing persecution whether under Nero's bloody, infamous rampage, or Domitian's political and legal establishment of emperor worship.

Literary Content

Properly titled the, 'Revelation of Jesus Christ', the last book of the New Testament is commonly refereed to as the, 'Book of Revelations'. I tend to favor the, 'Book of Revelations' because the singular can be confused with the doctrine of revelation1 (G602 ἀποκάλυψις apokalupsis), that involves natural revelation (Rom. 1:18-20) and special revelation (2Ti. 3:16,17). Christian scholars strongly insist that since the word is genetive, a form that implies possession, it should be singular because there is only one Christ. This kind of semantical hair splitting should not distract us from the key message of the book, that is, the nature of what is being revealed here. John bears witness2 (μάρτυς martus G3144), to all he seen and heard. The word for witness, from which we get 'martyr', is really just the normal Greek word for someone who testifies in court. John is writing to the churches of Asia Minor from the island of Patmos for his preaching of the Gospel. This comes at a time of persecution indicated in the salutatory introduction of the writer as their, 'companion in the tribulation' (Rev. 1:9). John's use of tribulation3 (G3144 θλῖψις martus) here, clearly indicates enduring persecution, as it does elsewhere in the New Testament. (Rom. 12:12; 2 Cor 1:4; 7:4, Php. 4:14; 1 Th 1:6; 3:7; Jam. 1:27). The Church is now enduring persecution from Jews and Gentiles alike. John, who shares in their distress, is given a message to take to this growing but suffering body of believers.

Like Daniel, John sees a vision of the 'Son of Man' (Dan. 10:4-6). These descriptions are nearly identical (linen robe, golden sash, eyes of fire, feet of brazen brass, voice like many waters). The garments of the 'Son of Man' are reminiscent of the vestments High Priest: The robe or tunic (Ex. 28:39), belt or sash (Ex. 28:39, 39:29), and the robe of the ephod (Ex. 28:31-35). The seven golden lampstands are reminiscent of the Menorah4 (Ex. 25:31-40), out of the base a central stem arose and from either side of the shaft were three stems, like branches curving outward and upward. It stood in the Holy Place across from the Shewbread (Lev. 24:3; Ex 27:20-21). The 'mystery' of the 'seven golden lampstands' is revealed as the 'seven churches' (Rev. 1:20). In addition, the 'Son of Man' has seven stars in his right hand (Rev. 1:16), which are the 7 angels of the seven churches (Rev. 1:20). The Lampstands5 (G3087 lucnia luchnia) here are most likely not seven individual lamps but the Menorah (H4501 mnowrah), the same word that simply means lamp is used to speak of the Menorah in Heb. 9:2, a single golden lamp with seven stems. There are not many churches but one church with many members that make up the body of Christ (I Cor. 12:27), and a "holy temple in the Lord" (Eph. 2:21).

The word used for the double-edge sword here is different then the standard issue Roman Soldiers, short sword6(G3162 μάχαιρα machaira), a weapon used to divide the joints (Heb. 4:12), which seems to imply a defense of the Gospel (Eph. 6:12, 18). The sword here is a longer sword (G4501 ῥομφαία rhomphaia), often used like a lance, a piercing weapon.

Geography of the Churches

The Island of Patmos was about 50 miles north west of Ephesus, in the Aegean Sea. The order of the seven churches: Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea, follows a route that a messenger would naturally follow in visiting the cities starting at Patmos. This could explain why these seven churches in particular were selected to be the original recipients. Let's say, the messenger John decides to deliver the message of the book personally. Leaving Patmos the messenger would take a ship to the harbor of Ephesus about fifty miles to the east. From Ephesus he would have traveled north through Smyna to Pergamum, following the earliest Roman road built in the Province of Asian Minor about 133-130 B.C.. From Pergamum the messenger could follow the road as it turned to the east and continued to Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea. Then, following the road as it turned back to the west the messenger could return to Ephesus. This route has been called the 'the great Central Route of the Empire' (Ramsey, p. 112).

Exegetical Notes:

1 Revelation (G602 apokaluyiß apokalupsis) An “uncovering”. From apo (apo G575) and kaluptw - (kalupto G2572); to take off the cover, i.e. disclose:—“reveal. Used in the NT of:

a) The drawing away by Christ of the veil of darkness covering the gentiles, (Luke 2:32; Isa. 25:7).
b) ‘The mystery, the purpose of God in this age (Rom. 16:25; Eph. 3:3).
c) The communication of the knoledge of God to the soul (Eph. 1:17).
d) An expression of the mind of God for the instruction of the church (1Co. 14:6, 26),
for the instruction of the Apostle Paul (2Co. 12:1,7; Gal. 1:12),
and for his guidance, (Gal. 2:2).
e) The Lord Jesus Christ to the saints at His Parousia (1Co. 1:7; 1Pe. 1:7; ),
f) The Lord Jesus Christ when He comes to dispense the judgments of God (2 Thess. 1:7; Rom. 2:5).
g) The saints, to the creation, in associating with Christ His glorious reign (Rom. 8:19)
h) The symbolic forcast of the final judgments of God (Rev. 1:1)”. (Vine p. 532)

2 Witness (G3141 marturia marturia) martyr, from martuς (martus G3144). Whence from the Eng., ‘martyr’, one who bears ‘witness’ by his death, denotes ‘one who can or doe aver what he has seen, heard or knows’. (Vine p. 680)

3 Tribulation (G1722 qliyiς thlipsis) from qlibw (thlibo 2346); pressure (literally or figuratively):--afflicted(-tion), anguish, burdened, persecution, tribulation, trouble.

4 Menorah (H4501 mnowrah) The 7 pronged lampstand from in the Holy Place of the Temple and the Tabernacle. (Exo 25: 31-35; Exo 26:35, Exo 30:27, Exo 31:8, Exo 35:14, Exo 37:17, Exo 37:17, Exo 37:18, Exo 37:18, Exo 37:19, Exo 37:20, Exo 39:37, Exo 40:4, Exo 40:24, Lev 24:4, Num 3:31, Num 4:9, Num 8:2, Num 8:3, Num 8:4, Num 8:4, 2 Ki 4:10, 1 Chr 28:15, 1 Chr 28:15, 1 Chr 28:15, 2 Chr 13:11, Zech 4:2, Zech 4:11)

5 Lampstands (G3087 lucnia luchnia) a portable lamp, candlestick or other illuminator (literally or figuratively).

6 Two-edge Sword (G4501 ῥομφαία rhomphaia) probably of foreign origin; a sabre, i.e. a long and broad cutlass (any weapon of the kind, literally or figuratively):--sword. "A word of somewhat doubtful origin denoted a Thracian weapon of Large size." (Vine 613)

Works Cited:

Justin, Irenaeus, Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, and A. Cleveland Coxe. The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1962. Print.

Justin Martyr and Irenaeus. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1962. Print.

MacArthur, John. The MacArthur Study Bible: New King James Version. Nashville: Word Bibles, 1997. Print. p.1988

Pamphilus, Eusebius, and Christian Frederic Crusé. The Ecclesiastical History of Eusebius Pamphilus. Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1976. Print.

Ramsay, William Mitchell. The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia and Their Place in the Plan of the Apocalypse,. London: Hodder& Stoughton, 1904. Print.

Vine, W. E., Merrill F. Unger, William White, and W. Vine. Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1985. Print.

The formatting didn't survive the transfer to the discussion board all that well and it's in need of some editing. I'll get it cleaned up and meanwhile feel free to dive in anywhere you find of interest. So many issues can be avoided or resolved with a straightforward exposition of the text. What I have noticed again and again about Revelations is that the Hebrew imagery is vivid. Remember that the New Testament church was a community of Jewish and Gentile believers that were leaning about one another in an unprecedented way. The book reflects literary elements of Hellenistic drama as well as Levitical imagery. The Gentiles were learning their Hebrew legacy and the Jews were to embrace their newly adopted siblings as God expanded the range of the Gospel to include both people regardless of ethnicity while embracing the cultural traditions of both.

I have always enjoyed Bible study both as a devotional exercise and as an important intellectual pursuit. I don't want this to turn into a debate over doctrinal distinctive but certainly anything from Dispensational or Covenant theology that helps to examine the text is more then welcome. May all things be done unto edifying.

Grace and peace,
Mark 

Edited by thilipsis
formating

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  4,065
  • Content Per Day:  1.41

Good job overall. Question on Seal/6 isn't that an Earthquake ? The Wrath of the Lamb is all of the Seals imho. 

And the Global Earthquake isn't that just an Earthquake that splits Jerusalem into ?

Thanks

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Revelation Man said:

Good job overall. Question on Seal/6 isn't that an Earthquake ? The Wrath of the Lamb is all of the Seals imho. 

And the Global Earthquake isn't that just an Earthquake that splits Jerusalem into ?

Thanks

The first five seals are the people and events involved in the rise of the Armies of the antichrist. The first three riders it says 'power was given to him', this rider is the antichrist and the devastation or his acts of attrition. Sometimes before God judges and punishes sin he exposes it. Remember Abraham was told his descendants would not take Canaan until the sin of the Amorites had been fulfilled. Then with the fourth rider it says power was given to 'THEM', they, the armies of the antichris have power over a 1/4 of the earth with the sword and a list of various human means of killing.

At this point This Antichrist guy has started out as the leader of a smaller nation, the little horn and taken over three large horns, big nations. Then be the fourth seal the collective military might control a quarter of the earth. The devil has always wanted to be God. So anyone who worships the real God is on his hit list. That's what the fifth seal is, the martyrs of the early tribulation period. They complain how long until you avenge our blood? 

Up till this point it's been the Antichrist and his armies, then the complaint of his victims. Then the cataclysm that rocks the entire earth to include the signs Hosea prophecies, and Jesus repeated in the Olivette discourse.

I've been over this with a fine tooth comb, the restrainer will restrain until he be taken out of the way. In other words it's like Job, the Devil couldn't do anything till God let him. Well he always wanted a shot at a global takeover but he was restrained. With the opening of the first seal out pops the Antichrist and as the Scriptures say, death and Hell follow.

Edited by thilipsis

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 12/10/2016 at 6:30 PM, Revelation Man said:

Good job overall.

It is important to note the expression "after these things". Similar expression is found in (Rev 7:1,9; 15:5 and 18:1). This informs us that the apocalypse can be separated as follows:

o   The First Unit: Revelation 1.1-3.22;

o   The second unit: Revelation 4.1-6.17;

o   The third unit: Revelation 7.1-7.8;

o   The Fourth Unit: Revelation 7:9-15.4;

o   The Fifth Unit: Revelation 15:5-17.18;

o   The sixth unit: Revelation 18:1-22.21.

"After these things" combined with "I looked," "I saw," or "I heard" implies a change of vision or perspective. To look means to direct the vision and see, to receive the vision.

Not only this! The use of these expressions indicates that John is not only quoting metaphors, but telling a reality that he lived.

Edited by Leonardo Von

On 12/18/2016 at 7:58 AM, Leonardo Von said:

It is important to note the expression "after these things". Similar expression is found in (Rev 7:1,9; 15:5 and 18:1). This informs us that the apocalypse can be separated as follows:

Let's see what we have here.

The First Unit: Revelation 1.1-3.22;

The closing of the letters to the churches in Asia Minor:

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” (Rev. 3:22)

The second unit: Revelation 4.1-6.17;

This appears to be the transition your talking about. There also appears to be some change with the church because it goes from correcting problems to the lamps (Menorah) blazing before the throne:

After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this." (Rev. 4:1)

The view does change from the 7 churches in Asia Minor to the Throne room in heaven:

And from the throne proceeded lightnings, thunderings, and voices. Seven lamps of fire were burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God. (Rev. 4:5)

This one is some kind of a proof text for a pretribulation rapture, apparently some think this means the church is in heaven.

The third unit: Revelation 7.1-7.8;

This is after the opening of the sixth seal:

And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, (Rev. 7:1)

The aftermath of the seal judgments, the atmosphere goes from receding like a scroll to deadly calm. Interesting.

The Fourth Unit: Revelation 7:9-15;

The view does change from the 144,000 who are on earth to the multitude before the throne:

After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands (Rev. 7:9)

This is reminiscent of the martyrs beneath the throne, appear to be the same white robes and perhaps more victims of the army of the Antichrist. They were told to wait until their brothers are added the same way they were. 

The Fifth Unit: Revelation 15:5-7, 18;

The interim before the seven trumpet blasts:

And after that I looked, and, behold, the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in heaven was opened (Rev. 15:5)

I assume that last reference is chapter 18

The sixth unit: Revelation 18:1-22.21.

"After these things" combined with "I looked," "I saw," or "I heard" implies a change of vision or perspective. To look means to direct the vision and see, to receive the vision. Not only this! The use of these expressions indicates that John is not only quoting metaphors, but telling a reality that he lived.

The climactic fall of Babylon and a clue to the reason for the destruction of that city, spiritual and physical.

And in her was found the blood of prophets and saints, and of all who were slain on the earth. (Rev. 18:24)

Interesting insight into a literary feature, thanks for pointing that out to me. It's clearly a series of visions but the scene keeps changing from the earth to heaven and back again. It seems reasonable that this is indicated by, I 'looked', 'saw' and 'heard'. I'd never noticed that before but it does seem to come at major times of transition of John's view and the narrative of the Revelation.

This is one of the more detailed visions to include a narrative in the tradition of the prophets. Profoundly Hebrew in it's imagery yet Hellenistic (Grecian) in it's drama. It's always interesting to explore these aspects of the text. It helps to track the flow of the narrative when learning to decipher the details of the visions.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Edited by thilipsis

Guest BacKaran

I have to clarify the title.

It is the book of Revelation.

It's not plural.

It's one holy revelation of Jesus Christ and what is to come for believers. It has many parts but it's still one revelation.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

The believers I've met and enjoyed fellowship with and am in union with in Y'SHUA ever since I believed and was immersed in Jesus' Name

are not anxious, worried, depressed or even concerned, per se, with the many and even great troubles we have suffered and are suffering and will suffer.

Like Corrie ten Boom thru the holocaust and many others likewise, who trust and rely on YHWH by Y'SHUA'S FAITHFULNESS,   even death has "no sting" (causes us no fear nor worry).

Like Corrie,  and Paul and Silas in prison, and Stephen while being stoned to death,  we have ongoing JOY, and PEACE, and RIGHTEOUSNESS according to YHWH'S WORD and our experience in Y'SHUA verifying what YHWH'S WORD SAYS,  as did the believers throughout the NEW TESTAMENT, even in the midst of horrible treatment by government , military, and religious persecutors.

Our faith is with a single eye towards YHWH and HIS THRONE OF GRACE TODAY,  with HIS provisions without measure for our lives on earth TODAY as well as for in the world to come.

HIS reality, truth, and sustaining grace and power in Y'SHUA is TODAY,  not sometime in the future only.

On 12/9/2016 at 11:57 AM, thilipsis said:

Christians are understandably anxious since our faith is focused on the time when faith shall give way to seeing him as he is and to be changed into his perfect likeness. Additionally the Bible predicts a time of unparalleled suffering and destruction, this is a necessary part of the redemption of earth from the evil influences of Satan, his angels and agents of evil in the worldly system

3 hours ago, BacKaran said:

I have to clarify the title.

It is the book of Revelation.

It's not plural.

It's one holy revelation of Jesus Christ and what is to come for believers. It has many parts but it's still one revelation.

I know, a lot of people feel that way because of the grammar of the first sentence where the book gets Its name. I like the plural because sometime I want to differentiate between the doctrine of revelation or a particular revelation. And frankly book of revelation sound right to me even though technically it's more correct.

Edited by thilipsis

51 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

The believers I've met and enjoyed fellowship with and am in union with in Y'SHUA ever since I believed and was immersed in Jesus' Name

are not anxious, worried, depressed or even concerned, per se, with the many and even great troubles we have suffered and are suffering and will suffer.

Like Corrie ten Boom thru the holocaust and many others likewise, who trust and rely on YHWH by Y'SHUA'S FAITHFULNESS,   even death has "no sting" (causes us no fear nor worry).

Like Corrie,  and Paul and Silas in prison, and Stephen while being stoned to death,  we have ongoing JOY, and PEACE, and RIGHTEOUSNESS according to YHWH'S WORD and our experience in Y'SHUA verifying what YHWH'S WORD SAYS,  as did the believers throughout the NEW TESTAMENT, even in the midst of horrible treatment by government , military, and religious persecutors.

Our faith is with a single eye towards YHWH and HIS THRONE OF GRACE TODAY,  with HIS provisions without measure for our lives on earth TODAY as well as for in the world to come.

HIS reality, truth, and sustaining grace and power in Y'SHUA is TODAY,  not sometime in the future only.

Well we see a host of martyrs at the opening of the sixth seal and prior to the seven trumpet blasts it says a countless multitude. People die for not submitting to the Antichrist and the vials of wrath appear to be pure retribution. That's why God turns the water to blood, the primary sin of the tribulation is mass murder.

Edited by thilipsis

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

In the last few decades, and centuries,  of course there have been millions of martyrs world wide.

In the future, very likely,  there will be billions die,  perhaps millions of them are martyrs (faithful believers) vs unbelievers / pagans/ false ones.

Do you think the sixth seal has been opened already , since there have been so many martyrs already,

or is it still something that's going to happen later today, or in the future ?

19 minutes ago, thilipsis said:

Well we see a host of martyrs at the opening of the sixth seal and prior to the seven trumpet blasts it says a countless multitude. People die for not submitting to the Antichrist and the vials of wrath appear to be pure retribution. That's why God turns the water to blood, the primary sin of the tribulation is mass murder.