MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

This is the time to let your Reps. and Senators know that cuts to Social Security are NOT going to happen!  We have worked our entire adult lives for our SS and who are THEY to say we don't deserve it?  I urge everyone to contact their representatives in Congress and let them know that they can just find another way to make up for their out of control spending.  I will p0st the info for the entire Congress for all who need it.  Maybe they can pull back some of the welfare given to illegals and refugees?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/gop-introduces-plan-to-massively-cut-social-security-222200857.html

To find and contact your Representative or Senator:

http://letter2congress.rallycongress.com/698/....]

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,416
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hello,

For a counter perspective comes the following excerpt from Rep Sam Johnson: (Available in it's entirety at http://samjohnson.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=398516 )

"Today, Ways and Means Social Security Subcommittee Chairman Sam Johnson (TX-03) introduced legislation that will permanently save Social Security, ensuring this vital program continues to work for today’s workers and beneficiaries and future generations. For years, the Social Security Board of Trustees has cautioned the program is on an unsustainable path. This year, the Trustees Report warned workers will face a 21 percent benefit cut starting in 2034 if Congress does not reform the program."....

From the vantage point of a 73 year old, may I state that the fear of losing SS benefits has been around for as long as I have been an adult paying into it.

I never counted on it being whole by the time I retire, and guess what ? It isn't!

And, SS benefits of all types are already modified as well as means tested!

Medicare  premiums are means tested already. Some do pay more than many other people pay per month because of the fortunate circumstance of earning  a certian amount above the allotted income to qualify for standard premiums. My monthly SS retirement benefit is means tested too. I just got my annual letter stating what the COLA is for  increasing  monthly benefit for calendar year 2017, a whooping .006 percent. And since I am still working and having FICA withholding from my  work income I get an annual adjustment upward in my monthly  benefit, plus a lump sum payment each year based upon what I have paid into the so called fund  the previous year.

Even one's Lump Sum Death benefit  payout at death has changed so that  not everyone receives that benefit. Same has happened  with VA Lump Sum Death Benefit.

Since Social Security contributions are taken and spent each year by  the federal government at the directives of all of congress and every  president to date, there really is no Social Security fund. YOU are paying for my benefits- Thank you.

I never ever funded into the program what I am getting out of it as I have already lived long enough to have received more back than I ever paid in. ( Not allowing for inflation) My lifelong spouse however died early and had received very little of what she had paid in. I never received  a Lump Sum Benefit at her death.- Too complicated a process now for the crummy $255.

Life is not fair! Governments always over promise, just as private retirement plans also tend to over promise- so don't ever get to depending on either for your financial prosperity! Find some way to collect assets and provide cash flow for the time you will not be able to work for a paycheck or run your own business any longer. Do NOT count on Social Security to be  as it is, for it never is, as it is really an illusion of security and instead becomes a binding of one to fear of what they cannot control.

Government cannot honor it's promise for the math does not add up, and the fund is not a fund at all. You cannot possibly pay for the benefits that are coming due. And that is why some in government sound the alarm and try  to salvage something for you before it collapses altogether.

Only you can  provide the means for  any retirement that you might be able to count upon, so may God bless you with the ability to make provision for yourself.

As for me, I am blessed to both have health to work and opportunity to work even today. Also I have managed to adopt  to some degree the  guidance to not worry excessively about tomorrows, for today has enough trouble of it's own. But, it is a hard row that so many do hoe, and not all can stand up to working  into the age I have obtained. It is flat out hard when serious health, work, and financial issues  do come. It is just the fact  of existence, and perhaps a price to be paid for so many of us enjoying the excesses of daily life, and the ever fine brinksmanship of living today what we must pay for tomorrow on credit cards and monthly installment agreements.

May God be your refuge, and eternal security. He does not over promise, His provision is sufficient, perfect even.

No politician can successfully protect you, nor me, from our own lack of  individual and national sacrificing to fund for our reserves.  We must do it ourselves. And Social Security will have to be modified again and again. Doesn't matter, Republican, Democrat, or Other, the math is the truth that  will force adjustments be made and benefits reduced.

Praise God for His provision has always been perfect for my need, even in hardship, even when I have not appreciated what that perfect provision might have been at any given moment.

It's hard for sure, but it builds character- those craggy lines of wear and scars, are privileges of age, like tree growth rings they make physical marks of the progress toward sanctification. Least that's what I tell myself when I see me in a mirror. :D

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Social security is a Ponzi scam, short and simple. The government should just refund us the money we paid in and get rid of it.

Guest shiloh357

The problem is two-fold.  Social Security became the government's slush fund and they dipped into it every time they wanted more money, rather than living within their means. There was enough money to keep it going.  It was supposed to be in a "lock-box"  and untouchable.   But our government officials are too free and loose with other people's money.  But we allowed it.   We allowed the political class to do what they wanted and since is politics and government is "boring" and we were too mesmerized with sports and entertainment, we let them do what they wanted.

Secondly, when Social Security first came into being, the average person lived to around 70 years old and that didn't change much for a couple of decades.   People pay into it for decades and then draw from it for around 5-10 years.  You had more money coming in than going out.   But now medicine is better and people are living longer and drawing out way more, as a result.

What really needs to happen is that government needs to be kept out of Social Security and banned from touching it. And we need to raise the retirement age by a few years.  We  don't need to cut it, and getting rid of it is an even bigger mistake.  And we need to let them know we oppose this.   The reason our government is so corrupt is that we don't get involved and speak up.  We just pretend like the government will just run itself and everything will be fine.

It's easy for Congress men and women who have a guaranteed $175,000 a year pension for the rest of their lives to talk about slashing the only form of income the elderly have who didn't get to become congressmen and are not independently wealthy.  It shows how out of touch our elected officials are.

It's not going to happen. Congress couldn't even privatize it in the past, for crying out loud! Don't we have enough to be concerned about than some shmoo who introduces a fake bill that everyone knows will never pass? Come on people.

2 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

It's not going to happen. Congress couldn't even privatize it in the past, for crying out loud! Don't we have enough to be concerned about than some shmoo who introduces a fake bill that everyone knows will never pass? Come on people.

I doubt if it would pass but the point is to let Congress know that it had better not!  We are citizens and we need to make our voices heard. 

The AARP lobby alone will keep it from happening. We don't have to say a word. We make our voices heard at the ballot box by voting those idiots who vote for such a boondoggle out of office, so fast their heads would spin. :ph34r:

Guest shiloh357
3 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

You would think, but if we get into the habit of speaking up, even if we don't think we need to, it will wake Congress up to the fact that we are watching what is going on.   It might make them more circumspect about bills they introduce in the future.

5 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

You would think, but if we get into the habit of speaking up, even if we don't think we need to, it will wake Congress up to the fact that we are watching what is going on.   It might make them more circumspect about bills they introduce in the future.

Right; we know that the most important thing to members of Congress is holding on to their phony, baloney jobs and drawing a salary that is WAY too much for what little they do.

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, MorningGlory said:

Right; we know that the most important thing to members of Congress is holding on to their phony, baloney jobs and drawing a salary that is WAY too much for what little they do.

Yes, and their $175,000 lifetime pensions to boot.  I am not against pensions, but not at 100% of their current salary.  

We really need to lose the notion of a political class where only millionaires can run for office.