• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

James 5:14-16  Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Mark 6:13  “And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.” 

The first passage indicates the elders of the church are to pray and anoint in oil, is this something we are directed to do in obedience, or has this practice ceased and why?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

5 hours ago, hmbld said:

The first passage indicates the elders of the church are to pray and anoint in oil, is this something we are directed to do in obedience, or has this practice ceased and why?

This directive has been given to the Church and largely ignored. The oil itself does not have any supernatural powers, but the faith that accompanies the oil reaches out to the One who has all power and all authority to heal the sick and to raise the dead. And the strict obedience to what God has commanded results in the blessings to follow.

Those who insist that the spiritual gift of healing is still prevalent seem to forget that this directive was given precisely because that spiritual gift was for the apostolic age.  Today it is the prayer of faith that must prevail.

22 hours ago, Ezra said:

This directive has been given to the Church and largely ignored. The oil itself does not have any supernatural powers, but the faith that accompanies the oil reaches out to the One who has all power and all authority to heal the sick and to raise the dead. And the strict obedience to what God has commanded results in the blessings to follow.

Those who insist that the spiritual gift of healing is still prevalent seem to forget that this directive was given precisely because that spiritual gift was for the apostolic age.  Today it is the prayer of faith that must prevail.

Thanks Ezra, obedience is why I asked this question, if we are directed to pray and anoint with oil, well, your first paragraph indicates that we are to do this, but your second paragraph, I'm not so sure.  You believe the spiritual gift is no longer, but prayer and anointing should still be occurring?  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,782
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The tenderness of Love, oil, prayer, tears, hugs all to share the burden of another ... for a burden shared is half the burden!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

..."let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:"...

Seems to call for the local body of Christ to be structured in a manner that there are elders too!

I wonder how many local body members know the structure of their local body, and if it includes elders.

And if so how many might be able to name those elders- and pray for them.

2 hours ago, hmbld said:

You believe the spiritual gift is no longer, but prayer and anointing should still be occurring?  

Let's be quite practical about this.

Let's say you had the supernatural gift of healing, which means that you would simply touch a person, or simply say that they are healed, and that would be sufficient.  That is how it is presented in Scripture for both Christ and the apostles.

Now if every local church had at least one healer (such as yourself) there would be no need for the elders to pray over the sick person. They would simply ask the healer to go and heal that person.  I trust you can see now why the gift of healing is not operational but the prayer of faith is.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/03/2003

I figured God had a reason why I couldn't sleep tonight. The scriptures on Spiritual Gifts is i the New Testiment in 1 Corinthians. The gifts were given when Christ ascended into Heaven, 1 Corinthians 13:10 says 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. That which is perfect is Jesus. I believe since I find no other scripture that says these ended that this refers to His second coming. I have seen people healed and have seen people I prayed for healed. (Not laying hands on them) I believe that God does still heal through totally commited and faithful Christians. 

7 hours ago, Ezra said:

Let's be quite practical about this.

Let's say you had the supernatural gift of healing, which means that you would simply touch a person, or simply say that they are healed, and that would be sufficient.  That is how it is presented in Scripture for both Christ and the apostles.

Now if every local church had at least one healer (such as yourself) there would be no need for the elders to pray over the sick person. They would simply ask the healer to go and heal that person.  I trust you can see now why the gift of healing is not operational but the prayer of faith is.

I understand your apprehension with all the false teaching that is around, no, I don't believe I'm a healer lol or know any healers but Jesus!  You said a directive has been largely ignored so i'm wondering why it isn't done unless it makes someone think the oil is more important than prayer or God when it is used?

1 minute ago, hmbld said:

You said a directive has been largely ignored so i'm wondering why it isn't done unless it makes someone think the oil is more important than prayer or God when it is used?

Churches in general have failed to simply follow the New Testament pattern already given to us.  Church leaders have adopted humanistic modes of thinking, and many churches do not even have the elders that they should.  Pastors are hired instead of being selected from among the elders upon showing the gift of pastor.  So this practice has generally gone by the boards (as have many others).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

On 12/11/2016 at 4:15 PM, hmbld said:

James 5:14-16  Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Mark 6:13  “And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.” 

Interesting, does it read that the person that is sick is asking for prayer from the elder(minister). Seem like confession is to be made first, then the elder could by the oil showing a sign to others the person has made it right in their sins and then they can now pray for him.

1 Timothy 5:22
 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.

I also see it that the oil is not the healing power, its the prayer in this case.

The one in Mark, I  think the oil did represent the Holy Spirit blessing.

Any thoughts on this ?