• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

2 Kings 2:4-6  

2 Elisha replied to her, “How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?” “Your servant has nothing there at all,” she said, “except a small jar of olive oil.” 

3 Elisha said, “Go around and ask all your neighbors for empty jars. Don’t ask for just a few. 

4 Then go inside and shut the door behind you and your sons. Pour oil into all the jars, and as each is filled, put it to one side.” 

5 She left him and shut the door behind her and her sons. They brought the jars to her and she kept pouring. 

6 When all the jars were full, she said to her son, “Bring me another one.” But he replied, “There is not a jar left.” Then the oil stopped flowing.

Mark 6:12-13  

12 They went out and preached that people should repent. 

13 They drove out many demons and anointed many sick people with oil and healed them.

• Group:  Diamond Member

http://www.biblestudytools.com/concordances/torreys-topical-textbook/oil.html

Oil [N]  [E] 

Given by God
Psalms 104:14  Psalms 104:15 ;  Jeremiah 31:12 ;  Joel 2:19  Joel 2:24

Comes form the earth
Psalms 104:14  Psalms 104:15 ;  Hosea 2:22

KINDS OF, MENTIONED

Olive
Exodus 30:24 ;  Leviticus 24:2

Myrrh
Esther 2:12

Extracted by presses
Haggai 2:16 ;  Micah 6:15

The poor employed in extracted
Job 24:11

Canaan abounded in
Deuteronomy 8:8

DESCRIBED AS

Soft
Psalms 55:21

Smooth
Proverbs 5:3

Penetrating
Psalms 109:18

Healing
Isaiah 1:6 ;  Luke 10:34

Interesting, I've not noticed before when praying or fasting, to do it silently or behind your door before the Lord, that the line "put oil on you head" was there.  

Matthew 6:16-18  

16“When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

And after Jacob had the dream of the ladder to heaven, he woke up and poured oil on the rock he just used for a pillow:

Genesis 28:18-22  

18 And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it.

19 And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first.

20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,

21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God:

22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 12/11/2016 at 7:15 PM, hmbld said:

The first passage indicates the elders of the church are to pray and anoint in oil, is this something we are directed to do in obedience, or has this practice ceased and why?

The practice of anointing with oil was very useful in the age of the apostles. At that time, there was no moisturizing cream or the cosmetics that exist today. The oil was used to moisturize the skin and hair. And it was not like our oil. It was a special ointment, of good fragrance (ver João 12.3), being used by the hosts every time an illustrious guest arrived at his house:

o   “And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped [ them ] with the hairs of her head. Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, [ the same ] loveth little.” (Luke 7.47).

This is why James says in his letter:

o   “Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: and the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess [ your ] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” (James 5.14-16).

The oil, by itself, was worthless. However, considering that the anointing was a gesture of love, a way of honoring the guest, when someone was anointed with oil he felt important.

It is well to remember that, in this community, the brothers were giving preference to the richest (James 2.1-4). Many were being despised. That is why there were many sick among them (see 1 Corinthians 11:28-30).

Hence James instructed on the use of oil.

On 12/13/2016 at 9:02 PM, angels4u said:

The Prayer of Faith

I agree with Sister Angel4U that it is the prayer of faith that saves the sick. However, as long as the brethren are divided, resenting one another, such a prayer is worthless.

This is why it is necessary to confess one another's faults. The idea is that each one recognizes his failure and ask forgiveness of the brothers, especially of the offended brother and, to crown this gesture, the offended brother was anointed.

From the moment all broken relationships are restored, the prayer of faith will heal all. Although at first there was only one patient, when relationships are restored, all the brothers present will experience healing in themselves (whether in body, soul, or spirit). Many, who were not even realizing they were sick or even fallen in the faith (1Corinthians 10.12), experiencing this divine healing will see how bad they were.

On 12/13/2016 at 9:02 PM, angels4u said:

I believe it is still Biblical for the elders  anoint with oil for the sick but God will hear the same prayer if prayed in faith, I don't think there is a "Yes" or "No " answer ,either way is good, God will hear and answer our prayer if we trust Him for the results..

Today, however, anointing with oil no longer has the same connotation of the past (no one will feel loved because his head was anointed with oil). So, instead of anointing with oil, each one should zealously seek out the best gift of the Eternal so that all may see The Way exceedingly excellent (1Corinthians 12.31).

May Jesus anoint us with His Holy Spirit

(The only anointing that teaches us what we need to know and holds us steadfast in this truth - 1John 2.27).

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

On 12/16/2016 at 4:25 AM, Leonardo Von said:

So, instead of anointing with oil, each one should zealously seek out the best gift of the Eternal so that all may see The Way exceedingly excellent (1Corinthians 12.31).

When something is given as a directive in Scripture, it is meant for all ages and cultures. So to dismiss the anointing with oil, and to substitute it with something else, is not consistent with the belief that the Bible is the written Word of God.  We may not know the reasons, but "the just shall live by faith".

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

34 minutes ago, Ezra said:

When something is given as a directive in Scripture, it is meant for all ages and cultures. So to dismiss the anointing with oil, and to substitute it with something else, is not consistent with the belief that the Bible is the written Word of God.  We may not know the reasons, but "the just shall live by faith".

well, maybe not all directives?-

“The leprous person who has the disease shall wear torn clothes and let the hair of his head hang loose, and he shall cover his upper lip and cry out, ‘Unclean, unclean.’

What do you think, intended for all the ages and cultures? I kinda wonder if  such an inclusive statement can be made to hold up- Seems to me that was a directive. If so, might it be a practical one to follow today? BTW, we still call on the Elders for prayer- for the sick seriously ill and injured,- and for anointing, with oil. 

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

6 hours ago, Neighbor said:

What do you think, intended for all the ages and cultures?

Since God Himself set aside the Old Covenant, you are simply creating a straw man.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Interesting line of thought. But of some, what 17 covenants by some counts, have they all passed except "New Covenant"(s)?

Noahic Covenant- God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations:  I have set my bow in the clouds, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.  When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds,  I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.”  God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.”-

What  Old Testament covenants are you thinking about? Might be fun to see if and how each has been maintained, "set aside", or completed. I don't think any have simply  been declared void  nor declared unenforceable  by either party to the covenants have they? 

Though, I suppose some conditional covenants have become void for lack of obedience to the particular covenant. 

Edited by Neighbor