• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

What do you do when you need a Christian mentor and have been praying on and off for one but with no success? I've been a follower of Christ since 13 years old. I lost my way for about 10 years and didn't go to church, drank alcohol and wasn't so nice at times but was still aware of God and prayed somewhat regularly. My father passed away in my early twenties and I continued down this bad path. A divorce brought me back to the Lord. For over 16 years now I've been back in church regularly, seeking other believers to fellowship with, studying the Bible, participating in Bible studies, tithing and generally doing my best to figure out what it is God wants me to do! 

He has certainly spoken to me at different times. Of that I am 100% sure. I've tried to serve in areas without success and have finally considered some of those doors closed. I'm still searching for exactly what God's purpose is for me while continuing to try to be obedient. I'm male and have missed that father figure on whom to go to for advice and counsel. In my mind it would be great to find an older male that is willing to mentor me, meet with me and give Godly counsel and advice. I know that the person might NOT be an older male or what I expect. I've prayed for this person on and off but no one has showed up. I'm trying to be open to anyone, whoever it may be. 

Has anyone experienced something like this or do you have any suggestions or advice?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

36 minutes ago, Texas47 said:

Hi,

What do you do when you need a Christian mentor and have been praying on and off for one but with no success? I've been a follower of Christ since 13 years old. I lost my way for about 10 years and didn't go to church, drank alcohol and wasn't so nice at times but was still aware of God and prayed somewhat regularly. My father passed away in my early twenties and I continued down this bad path. A divorce brought me back to the Lord. For over 16 years now I've been back in church regularly, seeking other believers to fellowship with, studying the Bible, participating in Bible studies, tithing and generally doing my best to figure out what it is God wants me to do! 

He has certainly spoken to me at different times. Of that I am 100% sure. I've tried to serve in areas without success and have finally considered some of those doors closed. I'm still searching for exactly what God's purpose is for me while continuing to try to be obedient. I'm male and have missed that father figure on whom to go to for advice and counsel. In my mind it would be great to find an older male that is willing to mentor me, meet with me and give Godly counsel and advice. I know that the person might NOT be an older male or what I expect. I've prayed for this person on and off but no one has showed up. I'm trying to be open to anyone, whoever it may be. 

Has anyone experienced something like this or do you have any suggestions or advice?

Let Jesus be that Father. And seek for any other man to fill that shoes. You would end up with disappointment. While spiritual mentors are good, but even their advice and council should be tested against Word of God

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  08/03/2003

It sounds like you could also use a couselor to help you through the rough times. I'd talk to your pastor. There may be men in your church that do that. He would probably be willing to counsel you also to help bring back the peace you used to have with God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

On 12/13/2016 at 1:04 PM, Texas47 said:

Hi,

God will bring that person to you in His timing. Make sure you are looking in the right places such as Church and Church setting.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

On 12/13/2016 at 2:04 PM, Texas47 said:

If you have not already approached the pastors and elders in your church, that is what you should do, and let them know exactly what you wish.  One of them should become your mentor without any hesitation (if they are functioning as they should). That is the biblical pattern given in Scripture.  

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

God will bring that person to you in His timing.

I think we sometimes misapply this.  God's timing for discipling younger Christians is immediate -- NOW -- but it is really the responsibility of the pastors and elders to meet individually with church members and provide for mentoring without hesitation. When an individual attends for the first time, there should be an immediate follow up to see how the church can help that person to grow or be strengthened, or helped in any way.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,182
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:04 AM, Texas47 said:

Hi,

Hi Texas47,

Pleased to meet you & hear your request. I`m doing my sums & it seems you are 39 years of age? Correct me if that is not how the numbers add up. Now concerning the mentoring, yes it would be great for you to have a father figure, one who guides & teaches you, someone you can share with in your journey. As this hasn`t happened, (& it is a sad fact that that is what is missing in the organised church) I suggest that YOU become that for another.

I was in a similar situation & bit by bit the Lord lead me to mentor others, one at a time. For it is in relating to another, sharing, praying for them, guiding them etc that WE grow. It is most wonderful to be able to encourage another & listen to their journey, & seek the Holy Spirit`s counsel for your self & another. Or rather help them to hear the Holy Spirit themselves & confirm together.

Also you may like to PM another man on Worthy & develop a friendship where trust is built & trials shared. That would give you the feed back from the Body of Christ that you know you need. `Snow` is a man of God, as are many others.

All the best, Marilyn.

BTW Just checked your profile & saw that you are on the road a bit. `Snow` is also & that may be something you both can relate on.

Edited by Marilyn C

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

6 hours ago, Redemption79 said:

i disagree 

you can only be mentor to others when you reached a certain level of spiritual maturity.

how can a sick person ( we all have issues, so this is meant as an objective statement) help others to become well?

otherwise you are going to hurt yourself and others in the process..

you need to heal first......

as for other men on this forum, you should to be realistic

if you already received a single piece of advice from some of the other members, that is probably all you are going to get, reality is harsh, but don't stop trusting God.

God is a God of relationships. Have you ever watched a 3-4 year old "mentor" a younger sibling or friend?  Even if they only know one thing they want to share and teach that one thing!  Equally cute is when they want to teach that one thing to someone older!!!

11 hours ago, hmbld said:

God is a God of relationships. Have you ever watched a 3-4 year old "mentor" a younger sibling or friend?  Even if they only know one thing they want to share and teach that one thing!  Equally cute is when they want to teach that one thing to someone older!!!

Hi hmbld,

That is so true. Loved the example. I don`t think counsellors, chaplains, pastors can be everybody`s mentors. They can give guidance, however what is needed is a mentor who is there in the everyday life, one that actually shares your life & load, not just a few tips, so to speak. I know you understand.

Marilyn. 

39 minutes ago, Redemption79 said:

yes, you are so right!

Hi Redemption79,

Sorry you had that bad experience with that counsellor. However it does show that you had some maturity to be able to discern that her attitude was about her & not you. I personally think that the `meetings` focus has stunted a lot of growth in people, but it seems that the Holy Spirit is moving right over man`s barriers & people are hungry to receive help as well as give it.

Torbein, (of the Last reformation video - well worth looking at on utube - out in the `streets & lanes) has realised that this generation really needs `mother & father figures` & is promoting this as the next stage after  what God is doing out in the community.

regards, Marilyn.