• Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  2.49
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  04/11/1961

11 hours ago, Willa said:

pale horse color.

great image :D well in 3 weeks it will be spring!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,675
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  0

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.gif

Edited by Snow

11 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Really, similar to Darwin?! I've been there, and I found it too hard to handle - so hot!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.gifYep that just about sums it up!

4 hours ago, shel said:

excuse my ignorance, but is there snow anywhere in Australia?

Yeah there is in bits

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

OK, Snow, thou man of few words.

Shel, we forget that Australia is nearly as big as continental US.  Their mountain ranges of the east coast are older and lower,  more like the Blue Mountains of the Pacific Northwest US, or the Applachians of eastern US.  It doesn't surprise me that Snow hasn't seen snow since it occurs in southeastern Australia in Victoria and the mountains in of New South Wales. They are about 2000 miles away from the west coast where he lives.  But I have been reading a lot about Australia since i got interested in NRL Rugby.   I saw snow on TV on a rugby game. 

Australia has a fascinating history not much unlike our own in the western US.   Snow lives on the west coast where the prevailing winds come from the Indian Ocean, I think.  And they are warm winds, producing a more temperate climate like around the New Orleans. Highs are like where I am from 90 to 114 in summer, only we are dry and he is humid.  Do you get wind from the interior very often, Snow? Maybe that is when you get the really hot weather. Once when we were at the ocean a hot front in the 100s came from the interior.  That was really hot and humid after the pleasant 65-70 degree weather we had been having. But Snow only usually gets down to 45 and rarely below freezing.  Sort of like New Orleans.

So I imagine much of Australia being like Texas with a lot of grass land, with deserts like our Death Valley or Mohave as well as a lot of sage/steppe land and bad lands or scab lands like we live near.    And there are fewer people in Australia, which might be nice.  But their major cities run into the millions.  

I feel a kinship with Australia and Canada as well, perhaps because we all have been British colonies. It makes me feel like we are cousins or something. Unique but with ties.  So that is my armchair expertise lol.  How did I do for a person who has never been to Australia?  Would it be better if I didn't post so I wouldn't display my ignorance?:24:

Feel free to correct.  I love to study histories and cultures and learn all that I can.    

13 hours ago, Willa said:

OK, Snow, thou man of few words.

Do you get wind from the interior very often, Snow?

Yessum

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  2.49
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  04/11/1961

sorry snow, well it is actually snowing here today , and tomorrow I don't think it's getting above freezing. Too bad we can't send you a little chill and you send us a little heat.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

It is March and I finally have hope of losing all our snow.  We are down to 3 tiny patches now.  We had stiff winds, 30 mph with 40 mph gusts, and 53 degrees so the snow is nearly gone.  A chance of more is predicted but it won't last this late in the year.  They are even predicting some temperatures in the 60s!.  The days are still cloudy but at this point I don't care.  It won't be that many months now that we will feel like those down under feel now.  Weeks of weather over 100 F and cloudless skies can get old, too.  Variety is nice.  

By the way, we had an annual ritual of taking grandma Willamina out to see the fall colors, especially the sumac that turns such brilliant oranges and reds, and the aspen and cottonwood turn yellow.    But we took the slow back roads.  Grandma had a bad experience while learning to drive a horseless carriage and had panic attacks if we went faster than 35 or climbed much in elevation.  She was sure she was having a heart attack.  We grandmas get to be such characters but make such great memories.:rolleyes:  Humm.  I think this part belongs with the colloquial terms we were discussing, shel.  Or perhaps the derailing thread since I can never remember what the OP was.  lol

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

Someone I know just got back to Aus from a Colorado ski trip and said there wasn't much snow there...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, HisFirst said:

Someone I know just got back to Aus from a Colorado ski trip and said there wasn't much snow there...

Perhaps they should consider going to Brian Head Utah, next time. My sister just sent me  a picture from her place there with snow half way up the second story windows.  They were getting two more storms with a new foot of snow per day, and had temps hovering at 8 degrees F.

As for this subtropics dweller, the Florida suncoast is a San Diego like 73 degrees. Winter came and went, but I hibernated through it. Think it was January 13, got kinda cold that night. We called it winter anyway, just so we can say we have four seasons here, something more than hot and hotter, wet and wetter.