• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hey guys,

I'm continuing my series on "12 Steps that Show Christianity is True."

This episode deals with a very touchy subject. Namely, when we affirm one view we deny another. 

Here's the podcast Episode from my podcast, Apologetics Evangelism.

https://apologeticsevangelism.podbean.com/e/episode-014-12-steps-that-show-christianity-is-true-part-2-the-opposite-of-truth-is-false/?token=803fd71b071874441728979d886c1440

Feedback welcome!

Dylan

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

Did Y'SHUA (JESUS) or YHWH in HIS WORD ever say to affirm anything ?  Especially a "view" ?

• Group:  Members

Simple Jeff, to affirm something means to "assert or maintain as true." In other words, every time Jesus or the disciples preached the gospel they affirmed the truth of Scripture. And here's some specific references that teach us to reason with others about Christian faith.

1 Peter 3:15

but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;

2 Corinthians 10:5

We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,

Colossians 4:5-6

Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.

Acts 6:8-10

And Stephen, full of grace and power, was performing great wonders and signs among the people. But some men from what was called the Synagogue of the Freedmen, including both Cyrenians and Alexandrians, and some from Cilicia and Asia, rose up and argued with Stephen. But they were unable to cope with the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking.

Acts 18:4

And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.

Titus 1:9

holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict.

Acts 18:28

for he powerfully refuted the Jews in public, demonstrating by the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ.

Acts 17:22-31

So Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, "Men of Athens, I observe that you are very religious in all respects. "For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, 'TO AN UNKNOWN GOD ' Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you. "The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; read more.

Acts 19:8-10

And he entered the synagogue and continued speaking out boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading them about the kingdom of God. But when some were becoming hardened and disobedient, speaking evil of the Way before the people, he withdrew from them and took away the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus. This took place for two years, so that all who lived in Asia heard the word of the Lord, both Jews and Greeks.

Acts 28:17-31

After three days Paul called together those who were the leading men of the Jews, and when they came together, he began saying to them, "Brethren, though I had done nothing against our people or the customs of our fathers, yet I was delivered as a prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans. "And when they had examined me, they were willing to release me because there was no ground for putting me to death. "But when the Jews objected, I was forced to appeal to Caesar, not that I had any accusation against my nation. read more.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

On 12/16/2016 at 4:48 PM, Apologetics Evangelism Guy said:

Hey guys,

I'm continuing my series on "12 Steps that Show Christianity is True."

This episode deals with a very touchy subject. Namely, when we affirm one view we deny another. 

Here's the podcast Episode from my podcast, Apologetics Evangelism.

https://apologeticsevangelism.podbean.com/e/episode-014-12-steps-that-show-christianity-is-true-part-2-the-opposite-of-truth-is-false/?token=803fd71b071874441728979d886c1440

Feedback welcome!

Dylan

Hi Dylan,

Great podcast, I had heard of Ravi Zacharias before but the part where dialectic thinking was discussed I found very enlightening. I had no idea it was eastern thinking, the way I got it was it was based on a formula 'thesis, antithesis, synthesis'. You have two opposing views, lets say there are two schools of thought, one group believes I'm an idiot and another group that thinks I'm a genius. Just an absurd for instance but lets say someone else comes along and says both are right, all true genius is idiotic because the word actually means 'self' so their thinking would be unique which makes them effectively idiotic. That would be the synthesis and it invariably comes down to semantics. Personally I think these so called 'synthesis' is producing equivocation fallacies, the Modern Synthesis aka Neodarwinism is a prime example. Paul Tillich's 'god above god' is another one, it turns theistic reasoning into little more then pantheism.

What you saying about the law of non contradiction makes sense especially with regards to historicity. I read Josh McDowell's, Evidence that Demands a Verdict, was the first book on Apologetics I was first exposed to. At the time I was struggling with the deity of Christ, I didn't see it in the New Testament for a while. Eventually Jesus testimony before the High Priest put that to rest for me and the rest of the New Testament finally started to get through to me. Over the years I came to realize this has been one of the most important doctrinal issues for the church. A denial of the Trinity is enough for Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox alike to conclude what you are dealing with is strictly non-christian.  

Anyway, enjoyed the podcast and I've been looking into the Ravi Zacharias podcasts as well.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Edited by thilipsis

On 12/19/2016 at 11:26 AM, thilipsis said:

Hi Dylan,

Great podcast, I had heard of Ravi Zacharias before but the part where dialectic thinking was discussed I found very enlightening. I had no idea it was eastern thinking, the way I got it was it was based on a formula 'thesis, antithesis, synthesis'. You have two opposing views, lets say there are two schools of thought, one group believes I'm an idiot and another group that thinks I'm a genius. Just an absurd for instance but lets say someone else comes along and says both are right, all true genius is idiotic because the word actually means 'self' so their thinking would be unique which makes them effectively idiotic. That would be the synthesis and it invariably comes down to semantics. Personally I think these so called 'synthesis' is producing equivocation fallacies, the Modern Synthesis aka Neodarwinism is a prime example. Paul Tillich's 'god above god' is another one, it turns theistic reasoning into little more then pantheism.

What you saying about the law of non contradiction makes sense especially with regards to historicity. I read Josh McDowell's, Evidence that Demands a Verdict, was the first book on Apologetics I was first exposed to. At the time I was struggling with the deity of Christ, I didn't see it in the New Testament for a while. Eventually Jesus testimony before the High Priest put that to rest for me and the rest of the New Testament finally started to get through to me. Over the years I came to realize this has been one of the most important doctrinal issues for the church. A denial of the Trinity is enough for Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox alike to conclude what you are dealing with is strictly non-christian.  

Anyway, enjoyed the podcast and I've been looking into the Ravi Zacharias podcasts as well.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Thanks Mark! Great feedback. Thanks for the comment, and I love Ravi too! He's such a master at being loving and respectful while he breaks opposing ideas apart. Such a good example to follow. And thanks for checking out the podcast! It's new but I hope it blesses a lot of people and equips them to talk about the gospel more.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

1 hour ago, Apologetics Evangelism Guy said:

Thanks Mark! Great feedback. Thanks for the comment, and I love Ravi too! He's such a master at being loving and respectful while he breaks opposing ideas apart. Such a good example to follow. And thanks for checking out the podcast! It's new but I hope it blesses a lot of people and equips them to talk about the gospel more.

Listened to your podcast #5 this afternoon, a disturbing and very practical guide to apologetics and evangelism. So have you done any follow up with this guy, 'Critter', I forget his given name at the moment. How did it go for him when he got out, I know the recidivism rate is almost half for prisoners.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Hi Mark,

No, I've not spoken to him in years. His real name was Jeremy. He told me that the day he believed in Christ and handed me his satanic bible. Your'e right, the recidivism rate is extremely high. But I hope that he was truly saved and is out following Christ now!