Pledging Allegiance in Church

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

A lot of churches I've been to like to pledge allegiance to the U.S. flag in church, or kids AWANA/prayer classes. I'm all for respecting the flag, but I have a problem with Christians pledging allegiance to it in church. I feel like this just isn't needed and we should yield our allegiance to Christ instead. What are your thoughts?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

If you shouldn't do it in church, you shouldn't do it anywhere. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  08/03/2003

Since the Bible does say to subjected to your government and leaders.

Romans 13:1-3

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

I see nothing wrong with saying the pledge of allefience at church. In Bible school we always said the pledge of allegience to the American flag, to the Christian flag, and to the Bible.

For any who may not know the pledge to the Christian flag is "I pledge allegience to the Christian flag, and to the savior for whose kingsom it stands. One Savior, crucified, risen, and coming again, with life and liberty for all who believe." The Pledge of allegience to the Bible is, "I pledge allegience to the Bible, God's Holy Word. I will make it a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. I will hide it's words in my heart that I might not sin against God."

I think that all three are very important and appropriate in church, schools, and at home.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

13 hours ago, Adara said:

A lot of churches I've been to like to pledge allegiance to the U.S. flag in church, or kids AWANA/prayer classes. I'm all for respecting the flag, but I have a problem with Christians pledging allegiance to it in church. I feel like this just isn't needed and we should yield our allegiance to Christ instead. What are your thoughts?

I see no harm in that. But the interesting question would, what should foreigners or non-citizens do in such cases? For example, I am from India. I am not us citizen. My kids are born in US. I have no problem them pledging allegiance to US in Church or anywhere. They are US citizens. How about me? I have never been in that situation before anyways.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

In our state the pledge of allegiance is not said in schools anymore since it includes the phrase "under God", which was added by President Eisenhower.  Where else will they even learn it?  No one is required to pledge allegiance to our nation anymore.  I am sure, if not for the protests of atheists about the under God phrase, the ACLU would be filing suit on the behalf of jihad protesting their right to pledge allegiance to ISIS or some other terrorist group. 

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

16 hours ago, other one said:

If you shouldn't do it in church, you shouldn't do it anywhere. 

Agreed.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  893
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, ravindran said:

what should foreigners or non-citizens do in such cases? 

I wanted to ask a similar question lol ....   I have never been to the USA  but there are many people from outside the USA including some from my own country ..who live / work / study ..in the USA....    If non-american Christians attend a church where there is a pledge of allegiance etc..  what should they do?..  Should they stand quietly and wait?  Should they sit down?  Should they leave for a bit and come back later?   um.. what should they do?

Sorry just wondering.  No offence intended to anyone.

Thanks.  

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  08/03/2003

Simple, they should do what their heart tells them to do. I've never been in a church that this is done other than for kids programs or VBS.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

1 hour ago, just_abc said:

I wanted to ask a similar question lol ....   I have never been to the USA  but there are many people from outside the USA including some from my own country ..who live / work / study ..in the USA....    If non-american Christians attend a church where there is a pledge of allegiance etc..  what should they do?..  Should they stand quietly and wait?  Should they sit down?  Should they leave for a bit and come back later?   um.. what should they do?

Sorry just wondering.  No offence intended to anyone.

Thanks.  

Hi just_abc

That's a good question and i think Sing40King answered it well.. I personally would excuse myself and quietly leave and maybe come back in after..

God bless

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

On 22/12/2016 at 10:51 AM, Adara said:

Hi Adara

I am not from the USA and i really struggle with the concept of a Christian pledging allegiance to a flag or anything that is not 'of' God but is made 'for' God. No i really struggle with the idea..

God bless you