• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

10 hours ago, Ezra said:

Well why didn't you turn down the invitation and be done with it?

At the time it was given there was no complaint about the cost of food. I didn't really want to go in the first place but felt bad cause she kept saying she didn't think anyone else was going to show up. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

show up for diner- say thanks Mom for going through all this trouble, I know it costs a lot heres 40 bucks to help with expenses.---- no matter how hard she is to live with some day she will die-- and you will look back and think-- maybe I could have treated her better

1 hour ago, woundeddog said:

and you will look back and think-- maybe I could have treated her better

I have never treated her badly. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I have never treated her badly.

no, I never said you treated her badly- just from my own experience I am saying when they are gone we think back and say I could have treated them better-

Well it all seem to go okay. Except she told us 2:00 and then called and yelled at us for not being there at 1:00. ;) I took my pie which seem to go over well. On the way home I explain to my husband the reason I have so much difficulty is I am just not use to the way she does things. Like if she says be here at 2:00 you really are suppose to be there an hour early or she going to call and yell at you.  How I was growing up was people just come around noonish. And unless you are hrs and hrs late no one said anything. Just get your plate and help yourself. My grandma was sure to buy a small extra gift in case someone unexpected shows up so no one would be left out. So you see I am just not use to the way she is. Which leads to many misunderstandings. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,537
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

We can never win in these kinds of things. But we can lose! So, personally I find, it is best to just take the verbally abusive oddities and let them slide off.

Don't offer money unless you want another version of discontent being expressed,- that you denied her the pleasure of treating.

Be sure to say thank you, and also to write thank you! Let it go at that, doing so with a chuckle in your heart for the nature of the beast, the human.

Edited by Neighbor

On 12/26/2016 at 2:46 PM, Neighbor said:

We can never win in these kinds of things. But we can lose! So, personally I find, it is best to just take the verbally abusive oddities and let them slide off.

Don't offer money unless you want another version of discontent being expressed,- that you denied her the pleasure of treating.

Be sure to say thank you, and also to write thank you! Let it go at that, doing so with a chuckle in your heart for the nature of the beast, the human.

I know. I have now come to realize this. She did give us Christmas gifts. But as she was handing them out, she made a point to let us know that she is not going to have the money to keep giving out Christmas gifts and she has all these bills to pay, so we may not being getting anymore Christmas gifts from her. I just said "thank you for the gift" and left it at that.  She is wanted to know if we are going to be coming over for New Years and I have already told my husband I think we should just stay home and have our own New Years dinner so to avoid any more misunderstandings (as I put it) between me and my mother in law.  :D

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,537
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Yep, and sometimes ya just have to walk the walk over the bed of hot coals.

My new bride worried bit about bringing  hors d'Ourves on time Christmas eve. She wanted to arrive a half hour ahead of the appointed meal time. I said no, I don't think so. But she eventually prevailed upon me, and off we went, arriving a half hour before the dinner time. There I was at the door to my family member's home, gifts in hand, and some food,  along with my new bride who also had an armful of stuff. As yet another family member's car was approaching the driveway, my offspring answered the door with;  -"you're early."

Now my mind said to self, Yes and would you like me to leave and return again? But the face just smiled and said, Merry Christmas. Plus, I managed not to say anything to my spouse about it later either. Like Jack Horner, I thought to myself "What a good boy am I!"

-  :mellow: Staying mellow on the inside and :D  grinning on the outside.

Edited by Neighbor