IGNORED

Why are there so many versions of the Bible?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

In the infinite place those that are not known by God are lost...  the original context and language is the bring forward to understanding ideal! As you can imagine a great deal of concentrated work ... but isn't that what we are influenced to do

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)

[15] Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Love, Steven

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

On 12/26/2016 at 10:22 AM, Muslimbr said:

Why are there so many versions of the Bible? Catholic version has 73 books and Protestant version has 66 books. Which of these versions is authentic and how?

What is written on a persons heart is what matters.   If YHWH writes on the heart,  it is truth.  If mohommeded or th epope or a man or any entity other than YHWH,  then it is false and deadly/ pernicious and must be renounced/ turned away from/  cast out, 

and as JESUS says,  turn to YHWH, for HIS KINGDOM....   HE is the ONLY ONE WHO can set anyone free, ever.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 2/2/2017 at 11:14 AM, No124get1952 said:

I agree with kwikphilly's answer. But let me come from a more personal position. I have read the Bible from cover to cover over 60 times in my life. I have read it in at least 5 different versions. For me, the Bible is THE ONE BOOK in all the world that provides the most complete presentation of how to live a holy life pleasing to God. While there are other books such as the Q'uran, the Boob of Mormon and others, none of them provide the consistency and completeness that the Bible does. Part of the reason why there are so many versions comes from the differences in various sects, cults and divisions of Christianity. Some have given credence to other texts other than the standard 66 that most of the Protestant Church recognizes. Some have "translated" the original texts with the idea of adhering to some specific doctrine. What I look for is a version that faithfully translates the original texts.

While I am not a King James Version only believer, I have studied the effort that went into that translation and that story is truly impressive. Even though it was done in the 1600's, it remains one of the most accurate translations, even today. My personal reason for not worrying about translations is because different translations offer different "hues" to the scriptures, which provide me with an expanded perspective. Whatever expands my perspective concerning understanding what God is saying, is good. God is infinite and has an infinite number of aspects to consider. I am only human and haven't even considered many of the aspects of God because my mind is not infinite.

So, if you are seeking truth, study the different versions until you feel comfortable with one...then read it and study it. Eventually, you will find a question that another version may answer and you will then see that the different versions of the Bible will assist in discovering understanding instead of preventing it.

Hi, I am immediately reminded of a Spurgeon archive:

There once was a man that in his debating with  Charles Spurgeon  stated that he had read the Bible through some 40 times. To which Charles Spurgeon responded something like this; well there is your problem, no wonder you do not understand much of  our Lord, you have been reading entirely too fast! 

While kinda funny it may also be rather profound, in fact Spurgeon has a sermon on the subject that I appreciate. It can be found at   http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/1503.php  It's title, " HOW TO READ THE BIBLE

To read through the entirety  of the Bible some 60 times is quite the accomplishment in  proclivity, toward that task.  Impressive tenancity! May I ask,  how will you rate your proficiency in comprehesion of it of it all? That it seems is the key, well it was to Evelyn Woods Speed Reading course students anyway.

I am not so blessed as to be able to read at a pace that will allow me to pace through the Bible cover to cover without many a distraction  and curiosity, period. And if I could, I suspect that only having obtained some 70 plus years of life to date that I would not have lived long enough to reach half of 60 times through it.  So my, what an accomplishment and privilege that  must be.

What happens to me is life gets in the way, plus the need to comprehend what I am reading. My curiosity about the context, the historical background, the need to "flesh out" the writing by learning more about the people-  the people credited as the authors, the audience of the time of the writing, world history or then current events. All the flavors that add zest to the writing prohibit me from reading through the Bible cover to cover, for it is so rich  it makes me search about for extra-Biblical details that I may be better able to "see" it, breath it, feel it.

Now I may have read all of the Bible, don't truly know, and some of it countless  times. Why I even have a highly marked up Criswell KJV with it's commentary to prove it. And other marked up Bibles and commentaries too. I stopped marking up Bibles with all those color coded pens, and markers when I lost track of which color I had been using for what purpose after many years. Ha, it was self defeating for me. The marks became more important than the text, a silly thing to allow  to happen.

So, 60 times wow! incomprehensible to this ADHD like mind. Even with the benefit of having completed Evelyn Woods course I just don't see myself ever living this earthly existence long enough to do that.

Fortunately for me  the Holy Spirit called me to my repentance and  turned me about in a instant without my  ever having read the Bible with any spiritual understanding of it at all. I was as saved then as I am now. Praise God for His grace and mercy. The richness of His word  is everlasting, don't think I'll ever plow through it all  in a sitting or year or two years never mind what period it will take for me to do 60 readings through and through.

Praise God again for His mercy on me. He first loved me  and He first turned me about , away from my sins against Him to the desire to be His bond-servant.He is awesome  He is kind even in His discipline and suffering of me.

If anyone hears  of the Holy Spirit the love from God that  is the sacrifice made by Jesus for His own, may each that hear turn about and repent of their sin against God and hear, hear the word of God. Then come to know and grasp onto  Jesus for He is the way the truth and the life. In Him are we saved, in Him alone and not of our own meritorious doings.

Thanks for the reference to reading through the Bible a meritorious goal for sure. It has led to a mini study this AM, and a furthering of appreciation that is  ever deepening in the awesome mercy of our Lord Jesus upon us that  are called to  be saved to eternal life with God despite our many follies and our sinful ways. 

We are to go into all the world with the Gospel of Jesus - so that many may be presented as mature in Him. And maturity comes by many factors including that reading of the Bible with  Holy Spirit led  and enabled comprehension of what we read.

PS Sorry for being so wordy, as a man once said; I didn't have time to be brief.

Edited by Neighbor