IGNORED

Why are there so many versions of the Bible?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

the main reason for them since 1900 is money....    most if not all are copywrited except for the KJV and if you are going to make a lot of money printing and selling Bibles you need your own version.

5 minutes ago, Abdicate said:

Actually, the KJV is protected by royal prerogative rather than copyright to The Crown.

it is reproducible though

most copywrited stuff here one has to pay to reproduce...   it's good that you only have to mention them.....   I think it would be appropriate to mention them anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

I agree with kwikphilly's answer. But let me come from a more personal position. I have read the Bible from cover to cover over 60 times in my life. I have read it in at least 5 different versions. For me, the Bible is THE ONE BOOK in all the world that provides the most complete presentation of how to live a holy life pleasing to God. While there are other books such as the Q'uran, the Boob of Mormon and others, none of them provide the consistency and completeness that the Bible does. Part of the reason why there are so many versions comes from the differences in various sects, cults and divisions of Christianity. Some have given credence to other texts other than the standard 66 that most of the Protestant Church recognizes. Some have "translated" the original texts with the idea of adhering to some specific doctrine. What I look for is a version that faithfully translates the original texts.

While I am not a King James Version only believer, I have studied the effort that went into that translation and that story is truly impressive. Even though it was done in the 1600's, it remains one of the most accurate translations, even today. My personal reason for not worrying about translations is because different translations offer different "hues" to the scriptures, which provide me with an expanded perspective. Whatever expands my perspective concerning understanding what God is saying, is good. God is infinite and has an infinite number of aspects to consider. I am only human and haven't even considered many of the aspects of God because my mind is not infinite.

So, if you are seeking truth, study the different versions until you feel comfortable with one...then read it and study it. Eventually, you will find a question that another version may answer and you will then see that the different versions of the Bible will assist in discovering understanding instead of preventing it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

A great discussion on Bible versions by the publishing houses and editors of the popular versions.  Great video .  

Remarkable and educational.

Enjoy and comment.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

There are many reasons. As in English the language deteriorates. Perceptions of definitions narrow, new concepts and words enter in the vocabulary. Another reason is a version is made to fit a certain agenda, or even romove certain aspects of the faith the writers find offensive. The matter is meaningless. If the version can't be translated back to the original early church documents I don't even consider using it. A huge part of the new testement has thousands of first century manuscripts backing up there authenticity and lexicons and interlinear bibles are readily available. There's no excuse for not digging in. Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  9

On 12/26/2016 at 10:22 AM, Muslimbr said:

Why are there so many versions of the Bible? Catholic version has 73 books and Protestant version has 66 books. Which of these versions is authentic and how?

If we all could read hebrew and greek there would only be one. But our Lord prophecied his word would be proclaimed in every language and to every tribe and people of the earth. So when the bible is translated of course you have different translations. Different launguages use different expessions. It doesnt really matter. Jesus said, all day long you search the scriptures to find eternal life but you refuse to come to me so i can give you life. The scriptured speak of me." God gave man the Word. God designed the translations and God is the one that seperated nations and laungauges. God is the one who does not desire men to get caught up and lost on the written words but would rather man be caught up in Christ. As far as the 73 books and 66 books go. Its just historical changes and movements within time. You can read history and see what books were removed and why.

Edited by Reinitin

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

I find myself wondering if Muslimbr really wants to know the answer to that question or if he/she is hoping to use this as an argument against the Bible and its truth and reliability.  I guess that's my experience in dialoguing with non-believers in apologetic forums talking.  I know that Muslims will say that the Quran that they have today is identical to the one Mohammed dictated.  However, that isn't true.  It has been altered down through the years.

Apologists David Wood and Nabeel Qureshi (an ex-Muslim) have a lot of good information to share about this here:

http://www.answeringmuslims.com/p/quran.html

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Authorized King James the main one I use, many are interpretations more than translations ;very dangerous ground..eg 

Mt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

one type said........their are more important things than bread...

what a terrible misunderstanding this rubbish would give !

acts 2v4 acts 2v38 ;mark 16v16+