inchrist

Two House Theology and its eschatological significance

“There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise” (Gal.3:28–292).

At the heart of a currently popular end–times theology is the belief that God has two distinct people—one of whom must be raptured before God can continue His plan with the other. Rather than teaching that God has two categories of people, Scripture reveals only one chosen people who form one covenant community, beautifully symbolized by one cultivated olive tree.

First, far from communicating a distinction between Israel and the church, the Scriptures from beginning to end reveal that God has only ever had one chosen people purchased “from every tribe and tongue and language and nation” (Rev.5:9). As Paul explains, the “mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus” (Eph.3:6, emphasis added). Indeed, the precise terminology used to describe the children of Israel in the Old Testament is ascribed to the church in the New Testament. Peter calls them “a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God” (1Pet.2:9). Ultimately, they are the one chosen people of God, not by virtue of their genealogical relationship to Abraham, but by virtue of their genuine relationship to “the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God” (1Pet.2:4).

Furthermore, just as the Old and New Testaments reveal only one chosen people, so too, they reveal only one covenant community. While that one covenant community is physically rooted in the offspring of Abraham—whose number would be like that of “the stars” of heaven (Gen.15:5) or “the dust of the earth” (Gen.13:16)—it is spiritually grounded in one singular Seed. Paul makes this explicit in his letter to the Galatians: “The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say ‘and to seeds,’ meaning many people, but ‘and to your seed’ meaning one person, who is Christ” (Gal.3:16). As Paul goes on to explain: “If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise” (Gal.3:29). The faithful remnant of Old Testament Israel and New Testament Christianity are together the one genuine seed of Abraham and thus heirs according to the promise. This remnant is not chosen on the basis of religion or race but rather on the basis of relationship to the resurrected Redeemer.

Finally, the one chosen people, who form one covenant community, are beautifully symbolized in the book of Romans as one cultivated olive tree (see Rom.11:11–24). The tree symbolizes Israel; its branches symbolize those who believe; and its root symbolizes Jesus—the root and the offspring of David (Rev.22:16). Natural branches broken off represent Jews who reject Jesus. Wild branches grafted in represent Gentiles who receive Jesus. Thus says Paul, “Not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children….In other words, it is not the natural children who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring” (Rom.9:6–8). Jesus is the one genuine seed of Abraham! And all clothed in Christ constitute one congruent chosen covenant community connected by the cross.3

http://www.equip.org/article/does-the-bible-make-a-distinction-between-israel-and-the-church/

• Thumbs Up 1

"Sorry, but the he who establishes or confirms a covenant is the very same he what will stop the daily sacrifices. It is not the Christ, the Messiah. It is the same he that destroyed the temple and the city in 70 AD. (of course not the same people, but the same spirit that was there to destroy the temple then will be with the modern armies that come to destroy Israel. )"

I don't think so .... it is the Lord who will confirm the covenant that He has with a believing remnant of Israel during the coming 70th week decreed .... and it is the other prince who will come to desecrate

"At the heart of a currently popular end–times theology is the belief that God has two distinct people—one of whom must be raptured before God can continue His plan with the other. Rather than teaching that God has two categories of people, Scripture reveals only one chosen people who form one covenant community, beautifully symbolized by one cultivated olive tree."

Not true

Israel is one thing .... the nations of the Gentiles are another [Romans 11:25-27]

The current age of the "church" relates to salvation and contains a few of Israel, but mostly consists of the Gentiles

This period is a long one and has existed for about 2000 years

When the Lord is ready He is going to quickly change the position of all of both Jew and Gentile participants to immortality .... all of them from Adam to this very day .... or longer if He wants

Then He will focus upon Israel as a national people, subject them to the tribulation period along with all others, and when it is over Israel will be His place for ruling the earth during His coming millennial kingdom just after the tribulation

Involvement will consist of those of His chosen made immortal just before and those killed during the tribulation period, and the balance of all other believers who will enter and populate [procreate in] His kingdom upon the earth as mortals

This is a fact and totally supported by scripture

Posted (edited)

In Matthew 21, with Jesus in the temple speaking to the chief priests and elders, He said the kingdom of God would be taken from them, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. By the parable He gave, they convicted themselves when asked what they would do to those evil husbandmen.

In the parable, guess who the "vineyard" represents?

Isa 5:7
7 For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah his pleasant plant: and He looked for judgment, but behold oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry.
KJV

Per Bible history, the ten tribe northern "kingdom of Israel" was what the northern kingdom was called after God split old Israel into two separate kingdoms. The southern kingdom at Jerusalem under Judah was called the "kingdom of Judah". This split beginning is written starting in 1 Kings 11. The northern kingdom was also called the "house of Israel" after that. Other labels meant only towards the ten northern tribes of Israel are Ephraim (the head), Samaria (its capital city), just Israel, and of course Joseph, since God's Birthright went to Joseph's two sons Ephraim and Manasseh (1 Chronicles 5; also see Ezek.37).

In Romans 9, Apostle Paul speaking to Gentile Roman believers, quoted from the Book of Hosea about their once not being God's people having become the children of the living God:

Rom 9:25-26
25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them My people, which were not My people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.

26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, 'Ye are not My people'; there shall they be called the children of the living God.
KJV

In the Book of Hosea, God used Hosea to prophesy against the ten northern tribes of Israel during the days of Jeroboam, i.e., the "house of Israel" after God had given ten tribes for Jeroboam (of tribe of Ephraim) to rule over (see 1 Kings 11). Only by going to Hosea 1 and reading it will the full Message of what Apostle Paul was showing about Christ's Church in Romans 9 will be understood, showing how so-called Replacement Theology is a big joke.

Hos 1:2-11
2 The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD.
3 So he went and took Gomer the daughter of Diblaim; which conceived, and bare him a son.
4 And the LORD said unto him, Call his name Jezreel; for yet a little while, and I will avenge the blood of Jezreel upon the house of Jehu, and will cause to cease the kingdom of the house of Israel.
5 And it shall come to pass at that day, that I will break the bow of Israel in the valley of Jezreel.

At this point in history, God had split old Israel into two separate kingdoms, one in the south at Jerusalem and the other in the north at Samaria. Once God had rent Israel from Solomon's son Rehoboam, He gave ten tribes to Jeroboam (of Ephraim) to rule over instead, and those ten tribes were in the northern lands of Israel. Solomon had earlier appointed Jeroboam as overseer. Only the tribe of Benjamin joined with Judah in the south at Jerusalem under Solomon's son Rehoboam.

Once Jeroboam was king at Samaria over the ten tribes, he had two golden idols made and told the ten tribes to worship them, and made common priests of the people. By this he was trying to prevent the ten tribes from going down to Jerusalem to worship, as that was what was required under the old covenant at that time. Jeroboam thought the people if allowed to go to Jerusalem to worship, they might migrate and increase Judah's numbers and thus power. A remnant of the ten tribes refused and migrated south to join with Judah and Benjamin. Since the Levites in the northern kingdom could no longer do their duties, they too went south and joined with Judah. Those of the southern kingdom took the name Jew, that title originating from the tribe of Judah. (This is why Apostle Paul would call himself a Jew, though he was born of the tribe of Benjamin.)

In this first section of Hosea, God tells Hosea to marry a harlot as a symbol for how the ten tribed house of Israel had played the spiritual harlot with idol worship of the golden calves.

6 And she conceived again, and bare a daughter. And God said unto him, Call her name Lo-ruhamah: for I will no more have mercy upon the house of Israel; but I will utterly take them away.
7 But I will have mercy upon the house of Judah, and will save them by the LORD their God, and will not save them by bow, nor by sword, nor by battle, by horses, nor by horsemen.

God tells Hosea to marry a harlot a second time. The name "Lo-ruhamah" means 'not loved, or not pitied'. God said He would literally take the ten tribed house of Israel away. That He did later per 2 Kings 17, removing them out of the land and captive to Assyria and the lands of the Medes, never to return. But notice what He said He would do with the "house of Judah" (put for the southern kingdom of Judah with the tribes of Benjamin and Levi). He said He would save Judah. And literally, only the "house of Judah" was left in the southern lands once the ten tribes had been removed by the kings of Assyria. Judah's captivity to Babylon would be about 120 years later.

8 Now when she had weaned Lo-ruhamah, she conceived, and bare a son.
9 Then said God, "Call his name Lo-ammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.

This is where one needs to really sharpen up. Remember Apostle Paul quoted Hosea in the Hosea 1:10 verse further below.

Rom 9:26
26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, 'Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.'
KJV

Well the Hosea 1:9 verse above is where... God originally said "for ye are not My people, and I will not be your God." But who... did He say that to? He said it to... the ten tribed kingdom of the "house of Israel" under king Jeroboam. He didn't say that to Gentiles, He said that to rebellious Israelites of the northern ten tribes.

So HOW could Apostle Paul apply that idea in Hosea to GENTILE BELIEVERS ON CHRIST JESUS???

The following Hosea 1:10 verse actually answers that, and is where Paul quoted from to the Gentiles of the Church at Rome:

10 Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.

That includes BOTH believing Israelites of the HOUSE OF ISRAEL, and... of the Gentiles. And that's who Paul was talking to in Romans 9, both scattered members of the ten tribes, and to Gentiles they lived amongst. Both together would become Christ's Church under The New Covenant.

11 Then shall the children of Judah and the children of Israel be gathered together, and appoint themselves one head, and they shall come up out of the land: for great shall be the day of Jezreel.
KJV

That last verse has not happened yet today. The ten northern tribes were lost after God literally scattered them out of His sight. They lost their heritage of the feast days, the new moons, the sabbaths, i.e., the days that orthodox Jews of the house of Judah still observe today. The ten tribes of Israel have yet to return, and are still scattered, living among the Gentiles, and the majority of them even think they are Gentiles.

Thus, there is no such thing as the man-made doctrine of Replacement Theology. God's promises to His chosen Israel is not dead, simply because the MAJORITY of the children of Israel accepted Jesus along with believing Gentiles, and they together became the Christian nations of history.

This is not well-wishing, it is prophecy in God's Word that it would happen. In Genesis 35, Jacob was promised that his seed would become "a nation, and a COMPANY OF NATIONS". And in Genesis 48, Joseph's son Ephraim was promised that his seed would become "a MULTITUDE OF NATIONS".

God's Israel is Christ's Church, of BOTH believing Israelite, and believing Gentile. The New Covenant Jesus Christ did not END God's promises to Israel, it ended the old covenant and opened His Salvation to the Gentiles! The believing Gentile is graffed in... Paul taught (Rom.11). And in Ephesians 2, Paul used the label "commonwealth of Israel" to point to all this under the New Covenant, because it is to include the believing Gentiles!

However, one of the major problems some have with grasping this is from the orthodox Jews. The "synagogue of Satan", A LABEL OUR LORD JESUS USED in Revelation 2 & 3 for false Jews, do not... like this New Covenant idea at all. They still treat our Lord Jesus of Nazareth, The Christ, as a seditionist. They tried to have Apostle Paul executed for preaching it. So Hallelujah if those devils also hate me for preaching it, for it is The Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Edited by Salty
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/14/2017 at 4:58 AM, n2thelight said:

At the heart of a currently popular end–times theology is the belief that God has two distinct people—one of whom must be raptured before God can continue His plan with the other.

Let's break that down a little.

Hosea 5:14 - 6:2 (NKJV) For I will be like a lion to Ephraim,
And like a young lion to the house of Judah.  (both houses of Jacob in view)
I, even I, will tear them and go away;
I will take them away, and no one shall rescue.
15 I will return again to My place
Till they acknowledge their offense.
Then they will seek My face;
In their affliction they will earnestly seek Me.

1 Come, and let us return to the Lord; For He has torn, but He will heal us;
He has stricken, but He will bind us up.
2 After two days He will revive us;
On the third day He will raise us up,
That we may live in His sight.

Matthew 23:38-39 (NKJV) See! Your house is left to you desolate; 39 for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’

Now there is a bit of a question here.    If there is no Israel that is in view or focus of God's plan during the time of the end, then who was Hosea talking about?  The Church?  When did the Church (created at Shavuot 32AD) reject the Messiah and cause Him to return to His place prior to Shavuot 32AD?   That is a non sequitur.  Who was Yeshua speaking to in Matthew?  Someone other than the leadership of Israel?

There are many other passages that could make the case, but Hosea does a pretty stellar job in saying that Yeshua is NOT GOING TO RETURN UNTIL corporate (both houses of Jacob) Israel recognizes their rejection of Yeshua and petition Him to return.  Why do you think that Satan has spent so much time trying to wipe the Hebrews off the map?  If God is thru with Israel as part of His plan and there is no destiny they have to fulfill yet, then Satan didn't get the memo.

Edited by OldCoot
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2018 at 8:22 AM, OldCoot said:

Let's break that down a little.

Hosea 5:14 - 6:2 (NKJV) For I will be like a lion to Ephraim,
And like a young lion to the house of Judah.  (both houses of Jacob in view)
I, even I, will tear them and go away;
I will take them away, and no one shall rescue.
15 I will return again to My place
Till they acknowledge their offense.
Then they will seek My face;
In their affliction they will earnestly seek Me.

1 Come, and let us return to the Lord; For He has torn, but He will heal us;
He has stricken, but He will bind us up.
2 After two days He will revive us;
On the third day He will raise us up,
That we may live in His sight.

Matthew 23:38-39 (NKJV) See! Your house is left to you desolate; 39 for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’

Now there is a bit of a question here.    If there is no Israel that is in view or focus of God's plan during the time of the end, then who was Hosea talking about?  The Church?  When did the Church (created at Shavuot 32AD) reject the Messiah and cause Him to return to His place prior to Shavuot 32AD?   That is a non sequitur.  Who was Yeshua speaking to in Matthew?  Someone other than the leadership of Israel?

There are many other passages that could make the case, but Hosea does a pretty stellar job in saying that Yeshua is NOT GOING TO RETURN UNTIL corporate (both houses of Jacob) Israel recognizes their rejection of Yeshua and petition Him to return.  Why do you think that Satan has spent so much time trying to wipe the Hebrews off the map?  If God is thru with Israel as part of His plan and there is no destiny they have to fulfill yet, then Satan didn't get the memo.

Right; in fact, Revelation states that Satan will seek to destroy Israel and that Israel has to flee to the desert.