Is Suffering Profitable and Necessary

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Suffering is a normal part of our walk with God, it is our choice wheter to pass through troubles and learn or to murmer and complain and go through them with a promise that till we learn they are apt to be repeated.  God can teach us through our troubles but we must be open to it.  If all we had were the highs and no lows then we couldnever really appreciate the highs

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Rom 8:16  The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, Rom 8:17  and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.  Rom 8:18  For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

ROMANS 8 is such a beautiful blessed chapter, until we come to those 5 words.  WHAT????  We have to suffer with Him to be glorified with Him?  But the next verse puts into perspective.  That our sufferings are outweighed by the glory that is to come.  We must keep our eyes on the prize.             

1Pe 4:12  Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.  1Pe 4:13  But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.  1Pe 4:14  If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.

That verse in  1 peter 4 always makes me laugh.  Speak about understatements.  We seem to get stuck in the middle of such drama and so often! One impossible predicament after another out of which only God could possibly have an answer and rescue us.  Maybe that is the point of it all that we have to learn--to lean all of our weight on God.  Our pastor says he doesn't need religion for a crutch.  He needs it for a gurney!  He needs God to carry him because he has no strength or answers for the trials of this life, let alone the trials of all he counsels.  

Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. Psa 61:2  From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  Psa 61:3  For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.

I finally told the Lord that I don't want any more mountain top experiences.  I don't want to fall from there into the valley of the shadow of death even if there are green pastures and still waters down there.  I just want to stay in the cleft of the Rock.

Exo 33:21 Then the LORD said, “Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the rock;   Exo 33:22  and it will come about, while My glory is passing by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by.  

Yup that's where I want to stay-- in a place by my LORD and covered by His hand.  Cozy and secure.  Trials come and go, but I remain covered by His hand and next to Him.

There is an example in the devotional Streams in The Desert that has stayed with me.  It is of a tree branch holding a birds nest.  This nest was hanging over a raging waterfall and swayed in the wind and turbulence.  But mama bird sat securely on the nest and safe from many threats and predators .  This was an illustration of God's peace.  It exists in the midst of those fiery trials when we are hidden in Christ in complete confidence of His provision and loving care.   Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

To be in this world and be Christ like is to suffer.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

God uses our sufferings to grow us and to reveal Himself more and more to us. 

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.   Romans 8:28

God dont like to waste anything.  Jesus said to pick up the leftovers when He fed the multitudes, and an opportunity to do good for one of His children is just the same.  He wont waste it.  

And even more The Book says He has everyone of our tears in a bottle.  He knows we will be having to go thru unpleasant stuff and so He promises never will He leave us or forsake us. 

If i didnt have Him I couldnt make it.  But because He lives...                                           Cletus

:amen:Yes,our Redeemer Lives!!!!              Very nice Brother  & your perspective is spot on .....                  With love-in Christ,Kwik

BTW,if I didn't have Him I wouldn't even be here today! Glory to God!

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

19 hours ago, Cletus said:

God uses our sufferings to grow us and to reveal Himself more and more to us. 

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.   Romans 8:28

God dont like to waste anything.  Jesus said to pick up the leftovers when He fed the multitudes, and an opportunity to do good for one of His children is just the same.  He wont waste it.  

And even more The Book says He has everyone of our tears in a bottle.  He knows we will be having to go thru unpleasant stuff and so He promises never will He leave us or forsake us. 

If i didnt have Him I couldnt make it.  But because He lives...

Amen Cletus,

God  taught me to depend on Him  and to  have all my expectations from Him only  , there are many things men cannot fix but God can and through my suffering ( chronic pain ) I learned to accept what comes my way and that it's all in Gods hands, He will take care of me, He suffered for me on the cross and He knows our future..

Indeed :" Because He lives"

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 12/28/2016 at 9:31 AM, Bill16652 said:

Suffering is a normal part of our walk with God, it is our choice wheter to pass through troubles and learn or to murmer and complain and go through them with a promise that till we learn they are apt to be repeated.  God can teach us through our troubles but we must be open to it.  If all we had were the highs and no lows then we couldnever really appreciate the highs

My prayer regarding my fate  is borrowed.

"May my highs not be too high nor my lows too low. May I not be so rich that I deny my creator, nor so poor that I resent Him." 

It is borrowed from the Psalmist excerpted from Psalm 30

"Every word of God proves true;
    he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
Do not add to his words,
    lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

Two things I ask of you;
    deny them not to me before I die:
Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
    give me neither poverty nor riches;
    feed me with the food that is needful for me,
lest I be full and deny you
    and say, “Who is the Lord?”
or lest I be poor and steal
    and profane the name of my God."

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

Many, if not most of the sufferings I have endured in my long life were the result of my own actions and failure in obeying God. When I turned to Him, in the Name of Jesus and asked Him to remove them, He did, nine times out of ten. The many times He never answered my prayers, I know I was not right with Him and had to make drastic changes in my life and get back on track.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 12/28/2016 at 8:31 AM, Bill16652 said:

I heard it put this way.  

Farmers do not plant on the mountains.  They plant in the valleys because that is where the most fertile soil is, it's where the most growth takes place.  We could never appreciate the mountain top experiences if we didn't have the valleys.

22 hours ago, eileenhat said:

It is inevitable in your walk in the Lord.  

Suffering comes as we begin to move with the Holy Spirit of God.  The Holy Spirit leads us to seeing where we have sinned, and if recognition does not come, suffering is instituted so we can recognize it and then ask for forgiveness.

Just part and parcel for the course.

Romans 8:26Verse Concepts

In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;

source:  http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/The-Holy-Spirit-As-Counsellor

I suffered more before I was converted than any time in my life. Once forgiven all became good.

The Holy Spirit does not lead us to, or remind us of any past sins as Scripture clearly teaches.

Luke 9:62, And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Rom 3:25, Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Psalm 103:12, As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

9 minutes ago, eileenhat said:

What are you referring to Hazard? Re: " The Holy Spirit does not lead us to, or remind us of any past sins as Scripture clearly teaches. " (Hazard)

That particular verse is taking about greedy behavior.

"9:57-62 Here is one that is forward to follow Christ, but seems to have been hasty and rash, and not to have counted the cost. If we mean to follow Christ, we must lay aside the thoughts of great things in the world. Let us not try to join the profession of Christianity, with seeking after worldly advantages.  "  Matthew Henry commentary

source; http://biblehub.com/luke/9-62.htm

It doesn't feel like you took any time to address the question for this thread, just picked passages you guessed might 'fit the bill'.

No really a good example of stewardship.

"Matthew 12:36

"But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgement"

Source: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Stewardship

Re; " Rom 3:25, Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; "  That is about how the blood of Jesus restores a sinner to God's favor.  

This is more complicated than a one sentence send off and I have to leave.  I'll finish this upon request then (I suggest you read the entire chapter, as I am doing.). 

This article (havn't time to read all of it) says it well.

" the word atonement is used to refer to the atoning death of Christ through which the sinner is reconciled to God, restored to His favor. "

source; https://bible.org/article/atonement-christ

Maybe you misunderstood me?

And, I don't know why you have become so defensive, I only addressed one statement you made which was;

"The Holy Spirit leads us to seeing where we have sinned, and if recognition does not come,

suffering is instituted so we can recognize it and then ask for forgiveness"

When we were in sin and unconverted the Holy Spirit was not in our lives. Once we turn to God we recognise what we had done in the past, we ask forgiveness in the Name of Jesus and we are immediately forgiven and our suffering caused by past sins stops. The Holy Spirit does not lead us back through our past sins causing us to suffer any further because;

Psalm 103:12, As far as the east is from the west, so far hath HE removed our transgressions from us.

That one passage of Scripture says it all.

In other words, God has forgiven and forgotten all our past sins as we must do. There's no more pain, no more sorrow, unless you feel like brooding over your past sins feeling sorry for yourself, and or, unless you believe Christs pain and suffering was not enough to cover your sins?

No one is perfect, and this is not a competition on who's the sharpest pencil in the pack, so remember this, you also might find yourself being held accountable in the day of judgment for recklessly accusing me of not being a good example of stewardship

Matthew 7:1, Judge not, that ye be not judged.