sarts

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I’ve read many books that were classified as christian literature. Some were really good while others made me wonder if they should have been published. Of the books I wondered about, I don’t make the comment to be harsh, critical or judgemental. Rather, I wonder if they were really something God intended to be shared to that extent. I also wondered if I should have read them. Let me explain.

I’ve read books about hearing from God and growing in faith and so on and so forth. These are great topics and many Christians have ongoing questions and desires for knowledge in these areas. I do and that is why I read them. However, at one point I kind of kept hearing myself asking this same question. Did I try to take a short cut by reading this? If so then what did I miss by not working it out with God?

The simple fact is that these books, we assume, were inspired by the author's journey with God. A journey for knowledge or victory in various areas of their lives. So on one hand reading their accounts is not a bad thing for us to do. On the other hand, maybe we should have sought God for his direction in our particular journey.

I’ve done that recently and found that the revelation I received just seems deeper. I get the sense that the things God showed me will “last” or “stick” longer. Maybe it’s like eating fast food versus a home cooked meal. It’s not that fast food is always wrong because sometimes it serves a purpose when we don’t have time to cook. Ever notice that a home cooked meal seams to stick around longer? By that I mean you don’t feel hungry again so soon after eating it.

So maybe at the very least we should seek God on our own along with or supplemental to reading a book and also read the Bible. Not just focus on some one else's journey but focus on both? That way we can see God working in our own lives, in his own custom made way for us. Won’t our love and knowledge of God increase more this way?

Edited by iamsarts

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Welcome~!

~

The purpose of the Seeker's Forum is strictly for the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This is the only forum on Worthy that can be posted to by unregistered "Guests".  The goal here is that guests can come to Worthy, read the forums, and ask questions about the Lord in Seeker's without having to first register.

Our foremost burden with this forum has been to preach the gospel to the unsaved. However, since we started this forum the focus has been changing. We have gotten a number of "trolls" here, and atheists whose only desire is to contend with the faith. In a sense we have opened the door for argument and debate, where we had intended it to be simply for the gospel. It is so easy for the saints to lose sight of the purpose of this forum, and to involve themselves with apologetic type arguments.

Therefore, to curb the number of these debates, we have decided to place the entire forum under "moderator review".  What this means is that a moderator will first review all posts that go to this forum in order to insure its appropriateness to the forum's intentions. Current members may respond to a post here, but these will also be reviewed by a moderator and approved, or not approved, as they apply to the gospel.

Please note that any moderator here can approve or not approve a post to the forum. Which means that posts that are not approved simply remain in the post queue - they are not deleted. We do not wish to offend any member by not approving their post, or by choosing one over another. Our desire here is strictly to obey the Lord's leading.

We are very burdened here for the spread of the gospel of Jesus Christ. So "Seekers" will be a place especially for that purpose. We must remember the Lord's command to us to spread the gospel to the nations (Mark 13:10). We hope that "Seekers" will facilitate at least a portion of the Lord's burden. We would ask all Worthy members to pray for the ministry, but particularly for this forum. Pray that the Lord will provide increase to His Body through this forum. Pray for the sons of peace (Luke 10:6) in this forum.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

I agree with you in that anything we read needs to be held up to the truths of the bible.

Nothing replaces the bible  combined with the Holy Spirit for learning about God and the life he wants for us.

We humans have a way of putting our own twists into understanding what is revealed to us.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

This is really a great thread, very thought provoking and in a very good way.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

I agree that we need to walk our journey with God and find our own way, while books can be helpful they are the experience of others and we must find our own way.  We cannot expect togain anything spiritual simply by reading, we must apply the steps to our own lives and diligently seek God, if not we are set up to fail

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  337
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Hi Iamsarts

Mike, CBM, and Bill have given you excellent replies and I have little to add.

I believe that we say that we have a personal relationship with God for a reason... because it IS personal !

Reading about God and/or the bible is kind of like meeting someone you like but instead of being with them to get to know them, you just read ABOUT them.

I believe praying is a method of getting to know God.  Speaking to Him throughout the day, keeping Him in your mind and in your life in general.

I believe reading the bible is another way of getting to know God.  Especially the New Testament which tells us exactly what God expects from us and how He has saved us from ourselves (the harm we do to ourselves through sin), from death (of the spirit and physical) and from punishment by being separated from God after our death.  The bible is also very positive - it teaches us life and how to live it to the best of our ability and to know what God would want for our well-being.

This is what I do:  I read and think about what I've read.  I use the New American Standard Bible, or NASB.  If I don't understand it, I read 2 or 3 other different bibles, including Young's Literal Translation from the Greek.  I give everything much thought.  I like to come to my own conclusion before I read any commentary - which is very rare.

God has something special for each of us.  Let HIM talk to you!

Fran

BTW, Mere Christianity was the best book I ever read that explained Christianity.  (I do also read other books but I started out many years ago with the bible).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Iamsarts

Brother Joe has replied with a very informative post,this Section is reserved for the unbelievers &  guests to ask us questions & this is a really good Topic so I am sure it will be moved to the Inner Court where it will get more replies.......by placing Threads in the Proper Forums(without Moderator Review)they get more attention & traffic ,moving along much faster

I loved your comment'

Did I try to take a short cut by reading this? If so then what did I miss by not working it out with God?

It's a great question to ask oneself when searching our own heart (what is our motivation?)

So many times I hear myself saying"Read Gods Word"seek God in His Word & yet what I hear in return is 'I got this really good book(Christian) etc,,,etc,,," and I sometimes wonder why so many people will read everything under the sun ,wanting to know more about God & the Bible and yet,they will not simply "read the Bible"....Oh,one might "learn" many things about God & the Bible but Wisdom & Understanding comes from Holy Spirit ,KNOWING GOD in Christ(not just ABOUT Him)

Seeking Gods Face should be first & foremost,get firmly established in His Word through growing in Relationship with Him......most of us are  so very Blessed to live where we do & Bibles are readily available and I think because our Bibles are so common place we can easily take this for granted,it is a privilege that not everyone has I'm not saying that it is not okay or not good to read material outside of the Word of God but just that it should be our first preference......after all,it is His LIVING Word

Anyway,a very thought provoking Topic,I do hope that it encourages more people to read the actual Bible more ,more than someone elses take ,testimony or personal journey so they can get their own personal experience,encounter & Relationship as god Reveals Himself in His Word...........With love-in Christ,Kwik

Guest BacKaran

Hi iamsarts

I've taken Village of the School's Bible class called From Genesis to Revelation four times, it is that great of a class! Now they offer it online and I pray many will take it.

I retained so much more information, themes, and biblical history from these classes and the flow of the thread of redemption starts in Genesis and ends in Revelation makes more sense and God reveals more of Him self as I grow. I highly recommend this class and others VSOB classes.

I've gained confidence in what I've learned to be able to have discussions with many people and witness to them.

It's a true expository and hermanuetics course which is an accredited college course too.

Blessings to all,

Karan ?

On 2017-01-05 at 5:41 PM, Mike 2 said:

I agree with you in that anything we read needs to be held up to the truths of the bible.

Nothing replaces the bible  combined with the Holy Spirit for learning about God and the life he wants for us.

We humans have a way of putting our own twists into understanding what is revealed to us.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I'm sorry I'm so late getting back to you. I didn't notice this until today. I like what you said about us humans putting on our own twists. That's well stated! Gob bless!

On 2017-01-11 at 10:31 AM, CBM said:

This is really a great thread, very thought provoking and in a very good way.

Thank you for your reply CBM! Sorry for my delayed response. I didn't notice this until today. God bless!