• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

On 2017-01-13 at 4:31 AM, Bill16652 said:

I agree that we need to walk our journey with God and find our own way, while books can be helpful they are the experience of others and we must find our own way.  We cannot expect togain anything spiritual simply by reading, we must apply the steps to our own lives and diligently seek God, if not we are set up to fail

thank you for your response and sorry for my delay in getting back to you Bill! You are right...we must diligently seek God...and walk in the steps he shows us. This way we get to know Him better as well right?

On 2017-01-15 at 6:34 AM, Fran C said:

Hi Iamsarts

Mike, CBM, and Bill have given you excellent replies and I have little to add.

I believe that we say that we have a personal relationship with God for a reason... because it IS personal !

Reading about God and/or the bible is kind of like meeting someone you like but instead of being with them to get to know them, you just read ABOUT them.

I believe praying is a method of getting to know God.  Speaking to Him throughout the day, keeping Him in your mind and in your life in general.

I believe reading the bible is another way of getting to know God.  Especially the New Testament which tells us exactly what God expects from us and how He has saved us from ourselves (the harm we do to ourselves through sin), from death (of the spirit and physical) and from punishment by being separated from God after our death.  The bible is also very positive - it teaches us life and how to live it to the best of our ability and to know what God would want for our well-being.

This is what I do:  I read and think about what I've read.  I use the New American Standard Bible, or NASB.  If I don't understand it, I read 2 or 3 other different bibles, including Young's Literal Translation from the Greek.  I give everything much thought.  I like to come to my own conclusion before I read any commentary - which is very rare.

God has something special for each of us.  Let HIM talk to you!

Fran

BTW, Mere Christianity was the best book I ever read that explained Christianity.  (I do also read other books but I started out many years ago with the bible).

Thanks to all of you! What an excellent point about our "personal" relationship with God being "personal". I also agree with you about continually reading his word. It keeps it in our hearts and fresh in our minds. It's easy to  slowly slip in certain areas. We can think we're doing alright because we aren't holding our hearts up against God's word. Sorry i took so long to respond! God Bless

On 2017-01-15 at 8:06 AM, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Iamsarts

Brother Joe has replied with a very informative post,this Section is reserved for the unbelievers &  guests to ask us questions & this is a really good Topic so I am sure it will be moved to the Inner Court where it will get more replies.......by placing Threads in the Proper Forums(without Moderator Review)they get more attention & traffic ,moving along much faster

I loved your comment'

It's a great question to ask oneself when searching our own heart (what is our motivation?)

So many times I hear myself saying"Read Gods Word"seek God in His Word & yet what I hear in return is 'I got this really good book(Christian) etc,,,etc,,," and I sometimes wonder why so many people will read everything under the sun ,wanting to know more about God & the Bible and yet,they will not simply "read the Bible"....Oh,one might "learn" many things about God & the Bible but Wisdom & Understanding comes from Holy Spirit ,KNOWING GOD in Christ(not just ABOUT Him)

Seeking Gods Face should be first & foremost,get firmly established in His Word through growing in Relationship with Him......most of us are  so very Blessed to live where we do & Bibles are readily available and I think because our Bibles are so common place we can easily take this for granted,it is a privilege that not everyone has I'm not saying that it is not okay or not good to read material outside of the Word of God but just that it should be our first preference......after all,it is His LIVING Word

Anyway,a very thought provoking Topic,I do hope that it encourages more people to read the actual Bible more ,more than someone elses take ,testimony or personal journey so they can get their own personal experience,encounter & Relationship as god Reveals Himself in His Word...........With love-in Christ,Kwik

Thank you for your kind response. I'm sorry i took so long to respond. I'm blessed to learn that people have enjoyed this topic. I have had the same thoughts as you. About my own bible reading habits and those of the body of Christ as a whole. I think for me, my life had to hit rock bottom at great impact. From there...when all seemed hopeless...nothing seemed helpful. So I turned to the bible...but this time I really sought God, asked for him to help me...humble me...show me how to really hunger and thirst for his word. I know the questions I had...I knew how far I fell..and in some ways "why". I know God said to me "Tyler...I hear you...and you know that YOU have to want this". It didn't take me too long to understand what that meant. I can't explain it to people...it's too deep...but those words "YOU have to want this" shattered my old self to pieces. Now I love Gods word...because I worked out my problems with God through it instead of reading some one else's experience. I know now that this is the best way to go. God bless!

7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I think what is often missing when one learns only from reading another's experience etc., is the heat of the Oven which produces character...

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
(Jas 1:2-4)

Very well put about the "heat of the oven"...I like that a lot! Thanks for your kind input. God bless!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

The OP has made his statement very well .   Off course a believer must read his bible steadfastly and have the facts patted down about his beliefs about the book, the contents and its absolute  truth.  Books are rightly men thoughts and some would say penned experiences on paper.  I see absolutely nothing wrong is reading what others have wrote and in some instances it can be edifying in times when you feel isolated ect.   You have to always remember the rooster rules the hens, so the bible is the final authority.   Godly  men have  wrote some awe inspiring words, uplifting and praising God in many ways, be it  fiction or food for thought.  It is up to you the individual to know how to divide your time and separate the wheat from the tares.  I love to read books, though i seldom find the time to do so,  but just as sitting in the pew, some sermons can be subjective, you are nevertheless there and you go  back to your reference for what the good book says. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

17 minutes ago, iamsarts said:

thank you for your response and sorry for my delay in getting back to you Bill! You are right...we must diligently seek God...and walk in the steps he shows us. This way we get to know Him better as well right?

Absolutely, it is all about a personal relationship, for each one of us

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Oh absolutely there are a lot of non fiction Christian books out there that can allow a Christian to stumble and fall. I would research the author and where the author stands as far as their belief. Having good discernment comes in handy here. Being well grounded in the Word of God so when you see a counterfeit you know it.

2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Yes, my greatest and surest growth comes through the testings that God puts me through. I guess I am the kind of person that has to go through the school of hard knocks to make much progress. :P

I think if  most of were honest...we end up in the hard knocks school more often than not. But hey...Elijah ran from Jezebel after seeing God destroy the works of Baal's prophets so he was "up and down" too right? It's something in our flesh in this fallen world. But thanks for God's mercy and grace!!

2 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Oh absolutely there are a lot of non fiction Christian books out there that can allow a Christian to stumble and fall. I would research the author and where the author stands as far as their belief. Having good discernment comes in handy here. Being well grounded in the Word of God so when you see a counterfeit you know it.

Exactly Missmuffet! Very good advice to christians. thank you

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Brother

Oh don't give it a second thought,take your time.......thanks to JESUS we should all have the patience to wait for as long as it takes you to get back,lol! Yes,great Topc & now that it is here in Gen Discussion I am hoping many more will join in to participate and give their perspective....:D

I'm with you,I spent so many years researching & studying ,here ,there & everywhere........and honestly,though academics are wonderful I must say that it has never convicted a heart...only Holy Spirit can do that & the Living Word is GODS LIVING WORD,as we speak His Word it can pierce through the hardest of them    

Thank you again for your candid ,thought provoking OP and I really do love what you said "Am I taking a short cut?"      Praise Jesus!

Funny,as you were describing what God said to you "YOU have to want this" and that you could not explain it,I felt like I knew exactly what you were saying,I too have been brought to my knees in humility,He certainly showed me my prideful ways and arrogance when "I used to be very very smart",,,:24:Oh Brother,I couldn't wait to have a debate with someone on history,chemistry,theology,you name it.....Now,I don't care.......let them all be smarter than me!!!!Once I had that insatiable hunger & thirst for Gods Word(because I too,sought HIM) everything changed because I got out of my own way,it's just like talking to you here,,,,,,,I open that Bible & its like logging on to Gods LIVE chat .................                              With love-in Christ,Kwik