• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

19 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Brother

Oh don't give it a second thought,take your time.......thanks to JESUS we should all have the patience to wait for as long as it takes you to get back,lol! Yes,great Topc & now that it is here in Gen Discussion I am hoping many more will join in to participate and give their perspective....:D

I'm with you,I spent so many years researching & studying ,here ,there & everywhere........and honestly,though academics are wonderful I must say that it has never convicted a heart...only Holy Spirit can do that & the Living Word is GODS LIVING WORD,as we speak His Word it can pierce through the hardest of them    

Thank you again for your candid ,thought provoking OP and I really do love what you said "Am I taking a short cut?"      Praise Jesus!

Funny,as you were describing what God said to you "YOU have to want this" and that you could not explain it,I felt like I knew exactly what you were saying,I too have been brought to my knees in humility,He certainly showed me my prideful ways and arrogance when "I used to be very very smart",,,:24:Oh Brother,I couldn't wait to have a debate with someone on history,chemistry,theology,you name it.....Now,I don't care.......let them all be smarter than me!!!!Once I had that insatiable hunger & thirst for Gods Word(because I too,sought HIM) everything changed because I got out of my own way,it's just like talking to you here,,,,,,,I open that Bible & its like logging on to Gods LIVE chat .................                              With love-in Christ,Kwik

Thank you kwikphilly! It's encouraging to hear some one else say they understand the statement I got from God "YOU have to want this". It is one of the most profound things God has ever said to me. I'm sure he had said it before but I too had become "so very smart". The problem for me with that "smartness" was that, unbeknownst to me, my pride was blocking God from my heart. The heart is so important...and God's word purifies the heart if we read it with reverence and honesty. Thanks again for your response. I appreciate it a lot and all the responses! God bless

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

When I was learning to walk with God in the 70's I read a lot of testimonies that were inspirational as well as Christian classics that were encouraging.  But my hunger for the Word was insatiable.  While I was in Bible Study Fellowship as well as while teaching Sunday School, God put me through trials in which I had to apply the scripture I studied to my own life's situations.  Thereby He made it my own and it became a part of me.  I remembered it as well.  This reading and applying is what fulfilled the hunger.  The more I read the Bible the more I became acquainted with the God of the Bible.  Through His dealings with Israel and through the life of Jesus I became acquainted with His Character, which is what is meant by His Name.  

Too many people have their own ideas of who God is, which is partly based on the world's ideas and on myths like Santa Clause which promote a works based salvation.  That is how they conclude that there is no hell and when they die they will get their wings and turn into angels!  Some of the experiences published as testimonies were produced to sell books and make money.  Some were fabricated.  The ones that were real truly turned their lives upside down and changed them by humbling them.  They rejoice only that their names are written in the Lamb's book of life, and are left with hearts full of worship and praise for their Creator Who died for them.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

my pride was blocking God from my heart. The heart is so important...and God's word purifies the heart if we read it with reverence and honesty.

:amen:                                         Bountiful Blessings to you Brother!!!!!!

• Group:  Members

5 hours ago, Willa said:

When I was learning to walk with God in the 70's I read a lot of testimonies that were inspirational as well as Christian classics that were encouraging.  But my hunger for the Word was insatiable.  While I was in Bible Study Fellowship as well as while teaching Sunday School, God put me through trials in which I had to apply the scripture I studied to my own life's situations.  Thereby He made it my own and it became a part of me.  I remembered it as well.  This reading and applying is what fulfilled the hunger.  The more I read the Bible the more I became acquainted with the God of the Bible.  Through His dealings with Israel and through the life of Jesus I became acquainted with His Character, which is what is meant by His Name.  

Too many people have their own ideas of who God is, which is partly based on the world's ideas and on myths like Santa Clause which promote a works based salvation.  That is how they conclude that there is no hell and when they die they will get their wings and turn into angels!  Some of the experiences published as testimonies were produced to sell books and make money.  Some were fabricated.  The ones that were real truly turned their lives upside down and changed them by humbling them.  They rejoice only that their names are written in the Lamb's book of life, and are left with hearts full of worship and praise for their Creator Who died for them.  

You're right, it's like when Christ said to the religious leaders "you have made the scripture of no effect". People turn to so many other sources outside of the bible. Sometimes it leads down a rabbit hole full "what their itching ears want to hear". I'm very happy to learn that I'm not alone in my view on this. It's encouraging! Thanks for your response!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:59 PM, iamsarts said:

I’ve read many books that were classified as christian literature. Some were really good while others made me wonder if they should have been published. Of the books I wondered about, I don’t make the comment to be harsh, critical or judgemental. Rather, I wonder if they were really something God intended to be shared to that extent. I also wondered if I should have read them. Let me explain.

I’ve read books about hearing from God and growing in faith and so on and so forth. These are great topics and many Christians have ongoing questions and desires for knowledge in these areas. I do and that is why I read them. However, at one point I kind of kept hearing myself asking this same question. Did I try to take a short cut by reading this? If so then what did I miss by not working it out with God?

The simple fact is that these books, we assume, were inspired by the author's journey with God. A journey for knowledge or victory in various areas of their lives. So on one hand reading their accounts is not a bad thing for us to do. On the other hand, maybe we should have sought God for his direction in our particular journey.

I’ve done that recently and found that the revelation I received just seems deeper. I get the sense that the things God showed me will “last” or “stick” longer. Maybe it’s like eating fast food versus a home cooked meal. It’s not that fast food is always wrong because sometimes it serves a purpose when we don’t have time to cook. Ever notice that a home cooked meal seams to stick around longer? By that I mean you don’t feel hungry again so soon after eating it.

So maybe at the very least we should seek God on our own along with or supplemental to reading a book and also read the Bible. Not just focus on some one else's journey but focus on both? That way we can see God working in our own lives, in his own custom made way for us. Won’t our love and knowledge of God increase more this way?

I enjoy reading books by Christian authors Francis Chan, Rick Warren, Dave Ramsey, Gary Chapman, Ted Decker, etc. Who are some of your favorite authors?

God can use anything to get our attention. To me, he's used movies, books, people, circumstances... Along with the Bible. :) 

God bless,
GE

• Group:  Members

7 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

I enjoy reading books by Christian authors Francis Chan, Rick Warren, Dave Ramsey, Gary Chapman, Ted Decker, etc. Who are some of your favorite authors?

God can use anything to get our attention. To me, he's used movies, books, people, circumstances... Along with the Bible. :) 

God bless,
GE

Thank you for your response! I have enjoyed every book I've read by C.S. Lewis and my favourite is Mere Christianity. Other noteworthy are: Out of My Life and Thought: An Autobiography by Albert Schweitzer, God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew and numerous books by Billy Graham

God Bless you as well!