IGNORED

How and Why do you believe in someone you cannot see?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

I can see that you are very conflicted. You believe in "god" because you can see intelligent design in the universe, which matches what Romans 1 says that God is evident in the Universe. But you also claim to have read the New Testament and seen its beauty, you missed the entire point of the New Testament, that Jesus came to live a life, just like us, yet without sin...and was crucified for it...ON OUR BEHALF!!! But not only did He die, he resurrected, in the flesh and appeared to over 500 people after his death. The resurrection of Jesus is one of the most legally provable facts in existence( I recommend "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell). Josh McDowell was a Christian hater who set out to prove, once and for all that Jesus was a lie....instead he found out that Jesus is real.

I do not want to sound judgmental. But most people who claim to be Christians have not really taken the time to find out who Jesus is and what His message is. This means an intentional, consistent study, preferably with someone who can mentor you. You have misunderstood the "beauty" of the New Testament because its message is all about what Jesus said and did AFTER His death and resurrection. If you have felt the presence of God, then you have felt the presence of Jesus as well. You need to find someone who will take the time to mentor you and pray for you so that when you "feel His presence", you can have someone to witness that and document that Jesus has interacted with you.

If, as you say, you have been trying for 20 years, I commend you on your persistence. But I submit that Jesus has been speaking to you and you have not recognized His voice. The fact that you are still interested in pursuing Him testifies to the fact the Holy Spirit is still moving in you to seek Him. One thing that I have found that draws His presence and interaction is gratefulness. We have so much to be thankful for that it is easy to take Him for granted. When we do that, we close off our own hearts and we become unable to hear accurately or to hear at all. But opening up to becoming thankful for all that we have changes our attitude and it draws Him close. No, we don't have everything we want, and sometimes, we don't have everything we need, but those are only temporary situations and not to be compared with the blessing of our very lives; our lives in America; our freedom; our jobs, etc. When we really begin to analyze our lives, there is really precious little we can claim as truly being totally originated by us. Most of us had okay moms and dads...that is a blessing. Even if we had bad moms and dads, the fact that we survived in spite of them is a huge blessing. So instead of looking at life from a "needy" perspective, let's look at it from a thankful perspective and see if that doesn't allow our hearts to "see and sense" Jesus.

Blessings

Bless

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

I agree with my fellow posters re: the historicity of Jesus Christ.  Historians, even secular ones, agree that he existed.  They only disagree on whether he was God Incarnate. 

As for why you would choose to follow Christ over following Allah or some other religious path, I would suggest you look at the issue of evil.  Christianity is the only religion that offers an explanation of why evil exists.  More importantly, Christianity is the only religion to offer a way of dealing with it.

Compare the statement of John the Baptist regarding Jesus Christ (Behold the Lamb of God who comes to take away the sins of the world) with the idea of Karma where you get reincarnated over and over and over again with the hope that you become a better person in each life so that you will finally reach the ultimate state of enlightenment.  But does anyone ever get there?

And here's the thing -- the belief in karma is a belief that you get what you deserve.  Do something good and the universe is kind to you.  Do something bad and the universe will get you back for it.  Compare that to Christianity where none of us get what we deserve (that is, life separated from God eternally) because Jesus, in his grace and mercy, takes our sins upon himself and gives us eternal life even though we don't merit it.

And that brings me to another important consideration:  Christianity is the only religion that offers salvation as a gift.  All other religions are about trying to appease God through works.  For example, Muslims have to follow the Five Pillars of Islam (testimony of faith, daily prayer, giving to the poor, fasting, pilgrimage to Mecca) and hope that their good deeds outweigh their bad in order to get Allah's favour.

And Christianity is the only religion based on a loving relationship with God.  Muslims think Allah is too far away and too far above us to ever humiliate himself by entering into a relationship with us.  Hindus see all of their 300,000 + gods as nasty and vengeful and, therefore, have to be appeased. 

I could say so much more, but I have run out of time.  Let me end with this.  Philosophers assess worldviews and belief systems using three criteria -- coherence, consistency and viability.  Is the belief system coherent in that it doesn't contradict itself?  Is the belief system consistent with what we know to be true about the world?  Is the belief system viable, that is, can it actually be lived out in the world in a practical way?

If you asses the world's religions using this criteria, you will find that only Christianity meets all three of them.  Other religions might meet one or two of them, but only Christianity meets all three.

I hope I have written something that helps, zdanman.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  194
  • Birthday:  03/08/1973

On Saturday, December 31, 2016 at 0:34 AM, zdanman said:

how do you believe in someone you cannot see?

it was my start also. question was - 

1 - is ther God at all?

2 - which religion is right?

as i did know only christianity at that moment, i did ask for help in the Name of Jesus.

so i did get help once (appartment, was homeless), second - with milk  2 times (had only flour to eat and that is not enough to get milk in my breast for a baby), with food .... many times, with things i did need (clothing, electronics and so on) ... still get help every month, even every week, with food almost every day... with parenting, guiding, with teachings and Bible study - every day. with my job and so on and so on...

thing is - i did notice, that NOTHING DID NOT HAPPEN when i did ask for help without Name of Jesus - so i had to admit - it was not an accident or coincident, but RULE. yet i did want more - be sure 1000%, because Bible say - it is matter of life and death. so i did ask God the Father, in the name of Jesus, help me out there.

and He did...

just - a pay attention and follow Jesus teachings step by step - and... 

Revelation 3:20

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

will be real experience in yours life. because Jesus DID PROMISE IT TO EVERY BELIEVER

John 14:21

Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loveme. And he who loveme will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

• 4 weeks later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  148

On 12/30/2016 at 3:34 PM, zdanman said:

how do you believe in someone you cannot see

There are many proofs of God, Christ, and the Bible, some of these are complied here if you like to view them:

Search on YouTube: “Proofs of God, Christ, and the Bible Playlist”

But I know for certain Jesus Christ is King; Jesus Christ is Lord the same way you can know!   ...by the relationship we can have with Him! I've never known such love. I've never known such truth, gentleness, grace, goodness, kindness, patience, truth. His voice is pure; pure love. His ways are undoubtable. His power is evident. I've seen countless miracles, but it's so much more than that. God is way too good not to know and talk with all day every day! If you pursue Him with all your heart, He will make Himself known to you, and you can know, that you know, that you know like I do! I promise you I could not be fabricating what I have experienced; it's too obvious an all-knowing hand is involved in all that I do as I follow His still soft, perfect voice. The relationship is key! The Lord loves you and yearns and desires for a deep relationship with you! No you haven't "over-sinned." Just ask. Just ask Him to come into your life and make Himself known to you. God is everywhere. Genuinely, just ask! 

You can also search my video testimony on YouTube called: "Following God Proves God - Part 1 Daniel Quartararo" and hear more of the incredible miracles I've seen and the amazing things God has done for me!

May God bless you, in Jesus' mighty name! I'm here for you if you need anything or would like to talk. <3 Much love, in Christ! -Daniel

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Do you really think God who creates universes and all down to the smallest atomic,molecule cant say HELLO !??

of course he can but remember this is GOD not just a president or queen/king which come and go;mortal; dial the right number and get a full blown response..for real..no mens words ,but demonstration:

1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

watch out for religion as it was the very same mans ideas in a religion that crucified Christ in the first place even though they knew scripture back to front (word only no power or signs following)

so how to contact..

Ac 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Repent..babys cant; and to be open minded to GODS way..put aside your own religious pride an superstitions..

be Baptized..full immersion ,what basic Greek means; symbol of burial..cover a body not just sprinkle..etc 

recieve the HOLY GHOST..GODS response,not left to your own whims or feelings (see my testimony in HELLO section) ..and

17  And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18  They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

do they confess this !? its a warning to his disciples so they will know. (who is just religious and who is anointed)

most are religious and still in the repentance stage...be careful no matter how nice they appear outward ..

do all according to Gods pattern..........!

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

On 12/30/2016 at 4:34 PM, zdanman said:

- how do you believe in someone you cannot see?

Romans 8:24-25

For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Deuteronomy 30:14

But the word is very high unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

----

Repent, and believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

On 12/31/2016 at 10:41 AM, FresnoJoe said:

Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. John 14:1 (New International Version)

The word "also" there makes it a little difficult for me to believe in Jesus because all throughout The Old Testament, God (The Lord) makes it crystal clear that He is just One and that there are no other gods besides Him. He goes as far as to say in Deuteronomy 13 that He might send prophets who would test people's faith by spreading false doctrines about other gods. How do we know that the people who included Jesus in The Trinity are not such prophets or that Jesus Himself was not such a prophet?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  05/07/1986

Its easy to see the God exists. Creation makes that evident.

It's evident only to those who have been taught about creation and religion, often since and extremely young age when concepts are easily absorbed.

Many "adult converts" were never atheist to begin with, just lukewarm believers.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  726
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  12/30/1974

On 12/30/2016 at 2:34 PM, zdanman said:

I am who some may call a 'seeker' but have grown discouraged. Grew up in a religious household and now am in my late 20s.

Its easy to see the God exists. Creation makes that evident.

I feel like I know God. I've felt His presence. I don't know doctrinally who He is... the God of Abraham; Mohammed; or the Trinity.

I'm sure he is not 100% pleased with me and the way I live but I can only do so much in this skin. I have many ingrained desires and wants which, without supernatural help, I cannot overcome.

But I just cannot come to believe in Jesus (and I have tried for over 20 years). I cannot see him. And there is no evidence of him from what I can see except from history and what people call the New Testament which I have read over many times and yes it is very beautiful and thoughtfully written albeit by men. The message is very compelling but it stops there - at 'believe in me'.

So I raise this question, to help me understand, to those on this forum who say they know Jesus on a personal level - how do you believe in someone you cannot see?

How do you know that you know Jesus on a personal level and not the God of Abraham or some other?

Remember nature tells us there is a God, however I know of nothing that tells me there is a Jesus and He is alive today.... nothing.

How do you know who you are talking to when you pray is Jesus and not the God of Abraham or Mohammed?

I think its called faith

Guest Wanda01

Seek and ye shall find. It's called faith. Seek Him with your whole heart. Rebuke those doubts that want to set up shop in your heart and mind. As you learn about Him, you will hunger and thirst for more of Him. He will not disappoint you. But our Savior is a perfect gentleman, He will never force Himself on you. 

Amen.