IGNORED

Objective morality

Seanc

On 1/4/2017 at 0:54 AM, woundeddog said:

forget CS LEWIS-- a biblical response would be- Mankind has always know-- even though many outwardly deny it- that man is created in Gods image-- hence it is hardwired into our souls to watch out for each other--- unfortunately- we succumb to sin and favor ourselves first-- inside we know "love thy neighbor as thyself"- but we deny that to serve our sinful self

Well stated sir. 

On 1/4/2017 at 3:32 AM, shiloh357 said:

What I have always been taught through other apologists is that if morality is objective then it is not something we can manufacture on a whim or based on a situation.    It is simply that exists as a self-evident truth.  

Atheists dont' like think of morality as objective, because if there is an objective moral code, if there is a set moral law, that leads to a discussion about a moral  law-giver.   And obviously then leads to a discussion about God.

Of course those who verbally oppose an objective morality don't live that way.   If someone broke into their house, they would want justice, they would demand it.   

The United Nations published a universal declaration on human rights.   But if morality isn't objective, who gets to decide for everyone else, what a "human right" is?   The same liberal mindset that opposes objective morality in some cases, argue for objective morality when it suits their agenda.   The social justice warriors I have met always oppose objective morality when opposing Christian values, but "social justice" is an objective moral position in their own minds, it is a position they can objectively define.

My point is that those who oppose objective morality are simply using that as a pretext for opposing biblical morality.

"My point is that those who oppose objective morality are simply using that as a pretext for opposing biblical morality."

Amen! 

On 1/4/2017 at 8:05 AM, woundeddog said:

it's not out intellectual arguments that change the heart- its the word of God that changes hearts

Exactly!

Jeremiah 17:9"The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?10"I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give to each man according to his ways, According to the results of his deeds. 

Philosophical controversies :  Colossians 2: 7rooted and built up in Him, established in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. 8See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and emptydeception, which are based on human traditionand the spiritual forces of the world rather thanon Christ. 9For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity dwells in bodily form.…

On 1/6/2017 at 8:15 AM, Bonky said:

To me, morality is an interesting and complicated topic.  I wish I have spent more time studying and exploring  this topic in depth.  I don't know that I believe in an absolute objective morality.  I think if people can agree on what the goals are then an objective morality can begin to take shape and be measured.   It's worth noting that I believe in situational ethics, so things like "Don't steal" or "Don't lie" aren't always morally wrong.  

Can you provide me with scripture to uphold your  opinion?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

15 minutes ago, Blueyedjewel said:

I am not bonky, but Joshua 2 comes to mind. Rahab lied to save the lives of the spies.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  738
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Blueyedjewel said:

I don't need that, I'd rather refer to reality.  It would be morality proper/right to lie to a Nazi to protect Jews rather than turn them in correct?

40 minutes ago, Bonky said:

I don't need that, I'd rather refer to reality.  It would be morality proper/right to lie to a Nazi to protect Jews rather than turn them in correct?

Oh Im sorry. I didnt notice that you are not a christian.

The ABC’s Of Salvation

A. Christ DIED for you – Romans 5:8
B. Christ PAID your sins in Full – 2 Corinthians 5:21, 1 Peter 2:24
C. BELIEVE(Trust In Completely) on Christ ALONE for salvation – John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Ephesians 2:8,9, 1 Cor. 15:1-4

“For the wages of sin is death(Eternal Torment In Hell & The Lake of Fire); But the Gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ Our Lord”. Romans 6:23

IT IS THAT SIMPLE – THE GOSPEL TRUTH

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  738
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

5 hours ago, Sojourner414 said:

Since none of us are "the center of the universe", it thus stands to reason that we cannot have our own perspective as "objective". All of us vary in one way or another, are colored by where we live, how we were raised, our personal circumstances, etc. With that said, each human being has a "subjective" viewpoint that is dependent upon where they are (as well as when they are, chronologically speaking).  It takes the perspective of one who is the center of all things and upon whom the universe is based which to base morality.

To put it another way: say for the sake of argument you have no qualms about killing someone for fun. Another person however does; which of you would be correct in that situation? Without a standard, objective moral guideline not drawn from ourselves, morality becomes a matter of mere personal preference rather than a standard of right and wrong.

A standard of right and wrong with regard to what?  

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

On 1/4/2017 at 2:54 AM, woundeddog said:

forget CS LEWIS-- a biblical response would be- Mankind has always know-- even though many outwardly deny it- that man is created in Gods image-- hence it is hardwired into our souls to watch out for each other--- unfortunately- we succumb to sin and favor ourselves first-- inside we know "love thy neighbor as thyself"- but we deny that to serve our sinful self

Have you ever read C S Lewis?  

I pray anyone reading this consider, "Mere Christianity".