spiderman1917

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  2

What are your views about destiny?  God already knows the outcome of our lives right?  He had a plan for us before we were born.

What would you say is the best way to go about discovering destiny?  What are some good Scripture verses to claim for help in responding to God's plans and designs?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

34 minutes ago, spiderman1917 said:

What are your views about destiny?  God already knows the outcome of our lives right?  He had a plan for us before we were born.

What would you say is the best way to go about discovering destiny?  What are some good Scripture verses to claim for help in responding to God's plans and designs?

Hey, Spiderman ... Happy New Year!

I'm not so sure about "the plan".  I've heard that all of my life, but I can't find it in the Bible where God has scripted out our lives before we were born and our job is to live here and act it out verbatim.

So .......yes and no.

[1]  Yes, God has a plan in that he wants people to be saved [although not all will BE saved] and sanctified and for Christians to be imitators of himself and of Christ.

• 2 Peter 3:9 = "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance"
  • Ephesians 5:1-2 = "Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma."

[2]  No, he does not have a cosmically beautiful and concretely pleasant destiny all mapped out for us.  If he did, then what do we do about all the suffering  that  people endure and the sins they commit.  Is that part of the plan?  Is mental illness, cancer, rape, murder, and abuse part of the plan? Definitely not.

What came to my mind that confuses people is that verse in Jeremiah 29. You know, the one that says "I know the plans I have for you, the plans for welfare and not evil, to give you a hope and a future."

Well, God through Jeremiah was talking to the Jews just cruelly taken from their homeland and made captive in Babylon. They thought they were coming back home soon because of false prophets who told them they wouldn't be there long. Jeremiah gave them the bad news first. They were going to be there for 70 years. He told them to settle in for the long haul - get married, find spouses for your children, etc.

They weren't coming back in that generation. And for those who lived less than 70 years - they were born captives and died captives.

The good news was that God was going to restore them as a nation, not individuals. That was the plan. And guess what? Also in that plan was for those left behind who did not get captured and were STILL disobedient to God - as God said, "I am sending on them sword, famine, and pestilence, and I will make them like vile figs that are so rotten they cannot be eaten."

Whew! That was God's plan. I don't think I would want to be a part of those plans.

There is no heavenly and mapped out plan for our lives excepts to live like Christ and be obedient to God and to lean on him at all times - the good and the bad. There are consequences to our actions. Good grief, there are consequences of just living here in a cursed world fighting against principalities and evil.

So, no - I don't believe that there is a pre-destined "plan" for our lives: the person we marry, the kids we have, the job we have, the diseases we suffer from, the car we drive, the lies we tell, the state we are born in,  or any other minute detail that we make God responsible for.

How to "guide yourself" through this life?  I'll put that in another post.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

4 minutes ago, Jayne said:

double post

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

22 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I'm not so sure about "the plan".  I've heard that all of my life, but I can't find it in the Bible where God has scripted out our lives before we were born and our job is to live here and act it out verbatim.

Hi Jayne,

I agree inasmuch that God knows what will "go down" in our lives regardless of wether we take path A, B or C or marry Bill, Bob or Benny.

In each circumstance, He knows the beginning to the end - which ever road we choose to head down.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

1 hour ago, HisFirst said:

Hi Jayne,

I agree inasmuch that God knows what will "go down" in our lives regardless of wether we take path A, B or C or marry Bill, Bob or Benny.

In each circumstance, He knows the beginning to the end - which ever road we choose to head down.

What are some Scriptures that state that God knows all we will do?

1 John 3:20 says God knows all things.  

Psalm 139:4   Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.

Edited by spiderman1917

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,437
  • Content Per Day:  0.91
  • Days Won:  0

Thats pretty much what  I was thinking.

God being infinite can see it all in a way I guess we can't fully comprehend in our finiteness.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, spiderman1917 said:

What are some Scriptures that state that God knows all we will do?

1 John 3:20 says God knows all things.  

Psalm 139:4   Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.

Spot on Spider??

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, spiderman1917 said:

What are your views about destiny?  God already knows the outcome of our lives right?  He had a plan for us before we were born.

God knows the outcome (the end result) of the children of obedience (the saved) and the children of disobedience (the unsaved, the lost).

Destiny is where one ends up at at the end of their life.  When a person(s) life here on earth is over and the spiritual state they were in at their death will determine their destiny.  This is the same for both the believers and unbelievers in this world.

Ecclessiastes 12:13

Trust and obey 

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

16 hours ago, spiderman1917 said:

What are your views about destiny?

1. God wants all men to be saved.

2. God wants all men to become disciples of Christ.

3. God wants all men to come unto a knowledge of the truth.

4. God has predestined all believers to be perfected in Christ -- "conformed to the image of His Son".

5. God wants the Church to preach the Gospel to every creature.

6. God wants Christians to grow in grace and in the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.

7. God wants all Christians to use their spiritual gifts for the edification of the Church and the glory of God.