• Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

What do I really believe?

Death is nothing else but going home to God,
the bond of love will be unbroken for all eternity.” – Mother Teresa

Many people believe that faith is some form of absolute assurance.  I do not believe that.  From my own limited experience, there will always be room for some doubt.  I think that is healthy and when ‘doubt’ is rejected and pushed underground it can manifest itself in other ways.  Being overly defensive as opposed to simply sharing one's faith and viewpoint is one such way.  Or extreme rigidity to keep a sense of ‘personal infallibility’ intact is also a common way of dealing with wanting the impossible; that is having absolute assurance.  This goes for both believers as well as for those who don’t have a faith of any kind.  There seems a need to be ‘right’ in opposition to others.

My faith, which I am deeply rooted in, does not spare me from the deep questions of life.  Nor does it surround me with a warm blanket of some better life after this one.  No, it tells me that in the midst of this life, with all of its chaos, pain, and deep absurdity…is where my salvation, my deeper true eternal life is.  As St. Paul says:  “We are God’s work of art”.  Sounds good, until you see what an artist has to do in order to create a work of art.  In some forms of art, the process can be dirty, messy, and chaotic,…yet, in the end, a work of beauty is produced.  Faith in God is not about pretending to have cookie cutter answers, though many try it for awhile. 

One day I was giving a talk, as I was speaking the thought came to me; “do I really believe in what I am saying”.  It was an uncomfortable moment, but in the end, I said ‘yes’, I do believe it.  Yet I felt buffeted by this question.  Faith is lived, not spoken of.  Anyone can talk, write and share deeply, but to live it, well that comes from one's ‘inner guts’.  I also believe it takes a type of stubbornness to keep searching, seeking and not being afraid of one's ‘inner agnostic’. 

Some people tell me that belief in God is a form of mental illness.  I always find that entertaining since it so self-serving to make that kind of observation.  As if that is some form of deep truth.  What constitutes mental illness is really a culture construct.  A person who is a hapless victim of true mental illness is someone who is outside the broad spectrum of human activity that is considered ‘normal’.  I guess in an atheistic state, it is understandable for the government to say that religious believers are mentally ill, yet are they in fact?   The atheists I know are no more normal than the believers I am friends with.   For an atheist to say a believer is mentally ill has no basis in reality.  Granted mentally ill people who are religious will still be mentally ill, the same goes for an atheist as well.  Because they act out in ways that go beyond what is considered ‘normal’ and ‘acceptable’. 

Who is touch with reality?  Perhaps none of us are no matter what we say we believe.  I can say we are each in touch with a small slice of reality and as we grow hopefully our connection will deepen.  I can say this.  If God exists then believers are closer to the true nature of reality than an atheist.  The opposite can be true as well.  The problem is that that question will never be answered in a reductionist manner There are rational reasons to believe in an infinite intelligence.  It is also rational to believe that such and Intelligence will seek to reveal itself…Which for me is Jesus Christ.  Just because someone is an unbeliever and disagrees with me is not a test for mental competency, unless maybe I lived in China or some other atheistic run Government.  Or if believe that I can fly and walk through walls no matter how many times I fail to accomplish that deed. 

Mother Teresa was a woman of deep faith, however, she often felt alone, in darkness, yet her faith endured.  Below is a quote from her that shows this in a profound manner.  She was a woman grounded in the reality of faith as well as showing her deep love and trust in her Lord.  She is praying from a place of deep suffering, yet she embraces it.  I believe that it is grace that draws this prayer from her deepest self.  Many people understand Mother Teresa and where she is coming from.  Others have to make their own decisions on how to interpret her.  I do so from my Catholic Tradition where the “Dark Night of the Soul” is something that we will all have go through if we want to become God’s true work of art.  The ‘death to self’ is an act of pure grace yet we have to give our ‘yes’.

Jesus, hear my prayer. If this pleases you, if my pain and suffering, my darkness and separation gives you a drop of consolation, my own Jesus do with me as you wish, as long as you wish, without a single glance at my feelings and pain. I am your own. Imprint on my soul and life the sufferings of your heart. Don’t mind my feelings; don’t mind even my pain, if my suffering separation from you brings others to you, and in their love and company you find joy and pleasure.

My Jesus I am willing with all my heart to suffer all that I suffer not only now, but through all eternity if this was possible. Your happiness is all that I want. For the rest, please do not take the trouble even if you see me faint with pain. All of this is my will. I want to satiate your thirst with every single drop of blood that you can find in me. Don’t allow me to do you wrong in any way. Take from me the power of hurting you … I am ready to wait for you through all eternity.”

—Mother Teresa of Calcutta in a letter to Jesus, from Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light

Edited by markdohle

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11

8 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Pure faith involves absolute assurance. Because none of us have it does not mean we ought to redefine it. It should be our goal.

I believe the more we are wracked with doubt the less healthy we will be. Obviously, I don't ascribe to the notion that the more doubt we have the more 'spiritual' we are.

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation.
(Heb 11:1-2)

I was talking about just plain doubt, not about lots of it etc.  Thanks for your comment my friend.  ISIS followers have no doubt, neither do those who follow Westboro Baptist Church.....well if they do, they are kicked out.

peace
mark

Guest BacKaran

Sadly this is the lament of those in the Roman Catholic Church. One can never be assured of eternity even though His tells us we are assured in His word. 

I pray you find the peace and assurance you are looking for, it's found only in Jesus Christ, not Rome, not Mohammed or Buddha. 

Remember, the devil loves to keep people in doubt.

13 minutes ago, BacKaran said:

Sadly this is the lament of those in the Roman Catholic Church. One can never be assured of eternity even though His tells us we are assured in His word. 

I pray you find the peace and assurance you are looking for, it's found only in Jesus Christ, not Rome, not Mohammed or Buddha. 

Remember, the devil loves to keep people in doubt.

Thank you for responding my friend.  Not what I was talking about.  I have faith in Christ Jesus and that he is my savior.    We do live in a world where we need to deepen our faith and use our doubts to deepen our understanding and to recommit ourselves to the service of God.  Not going to get into the Catholic 'thing' with you ;-).......it goes nowhere. 

Peace
mark

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Your words not mine... "Many people believe that faith is some form of absolute assurance.  I do not believe that.  From my own limited experience, there will always be room for some doubt.  I think that is healthy and when ‘doubt’ is rejected and pushed underground it can manifest itself in other ways.

ISIS followers have no faith in the Truth as revealed by our Scriptures. I would not  use that group or WBB as a gauge of true faith. Like I said, none of us have perfect faith (we do struggle with doubts), but we shouldn't excuse ourselves by redefining faith and make it sound as if doubt is a noble attribute.

I do think that WBB are Christians, but they are probably far right of the vast majority.  Doubt is handled by kicking out those who questions their extremely narrow views.  I believe that there is a book out from the perspective of one of the children who was cast out when challenging some of their views.  

Peace
Mark

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Jesus died for me on the cross , and I believe He did, He did this so I can be with Him some day forever, if I would start doubting my Salvation then I'm saying that God is a liar , I trust Him believe Him and all my expectations are from Him only !

He's my Savior, He my all in all, He's my King :) And He's the reason I'm living for~~

13 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I'd rather speak about doubt as in 'hard to grasp what God has revealed in Scripture', rather than doubt or faith in false teachings found in WBB or ISIS.

Yes, good way to put it, thank you.

Peace
mark

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I believe that all born again believers will go to heaven.

Question: "What does it mean to be a born again Christian?"

Answer:
What does it mean to be a born-again Christian? The classic passage from the Bible that answers this question is John 3:1-21. The Lord Jesus Christ is talking to Nicodemus, a prominent Pharisee and member of the Sanhedrin (the ruling body of the Jews). Nicodemus had come to Jesus at night with some questions.

As Jesus talked with Nicodemus, He said, “‘I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.’ ‘How can a man be born when he is old?’ Nicodemus asked. ‘Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb to be born!’ Jesus answered, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, “You must be born again”’” (John 3:3-7).

The phrase "born again" literally means "born from above." Nicodemus had a real need. He needed a change of his heart—a spiritual transformation. New birth, being born again, is an act of God whereby eternal life is imparted to the person who believes (2 Corinthians 5:17; Titus 3:5; 1 Peter 1:3; 1 John 2:29; 3:9; 4:7; 5:1-4, 18). John 1:12, 13 indicates that being "born again" also carries the idea of "becoming children of God" through trust in the name of Jesus Christ.

The question logically comes, "Why does a person need to be born again?" The apostle Paul in Ephesians 2:1 says, "And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins" (NKJV). To the Romans he wrote, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). Sinners are spiritually “dead”; when they receive spiritual life through faith in Christ, the Bible likens it to a rebirth. Only those who are born again have their sins forgiven and have a relationship with God.

How does that come to be? Ephesians 2:8-9 states, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast." When one is saved, he/she has been born again, spiritually renewed, and is now a child of God by right of new birth. Trusting in Jesus Christ, the One who paid the penalty of sin when He died on the cross, is the means to be "born again." "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

If you have never trusted in the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior, will you consider the prompting of the Holy Spirit as He speaks to your heart? You need to be born again. Will you pray the prayer of repentance and become a new creation in Christ today? "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God" (John 1:12-13).

https://www.gotquestions.org/born-again.html