WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Bots
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39,879
  • Topics Per Day:  6.49
  • Content Count:  44,078
  • Content Per Day:  7.18
  • Days Won:  2

(Worthy News) - With President-elect Donald Trump demanding more ships, the Navy is proposing the biggest shipbuilding boom since the end of the Cold War to meet threats from a resurgent Russia and saber-rattling China.

The Navy's 355-ship proposal released last month is even larger than what the Republican Trump had promoted on the campaign trail, providing a potential boost to shipyards that have struggled because budget caps that have limited money funding for ships.

At Maine's Bath Iron Works, workers worried about the future want to build more ships but wonder where the billions of dollars will come from. [ Source ]

View the full article

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  647
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

Good for him. Downsizing our military was always a bad idea.

I hope this does indeed re-energize the steel industry in this country. And of course Bath Iron Works.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

11 hours ago, soonsister said:

Good for him. Downsizing our military was always a bad idea.

I hope this does indeed re-energize the steel industry in this country. And of course Bath Iron Works.

Sounds good to me also.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

About time

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

It is not enough to spend 35% of the world's total spending on military while having just 4.4% of the world's population and just 16% of the world's GDP?

It is not enough to spend more than the next 7 countries combined on our military, we need to offer even more of an offering to the military industrial complex?

With the tax cuts of Trump, how are we going to pay for all these things he wants to spend money on?  Trump is just your typical republican...tax less and spend more.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

depends on who and what you are protecting yourself from.....   how many enemies you have made and how many fronts you might have to fight at once....            When one has PO'd as many people as we have over the past 25 years, one might want to update his protection

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Though some ships will be much more advanced than their predecessors, this is like building a better battle axe or a sharper sword, both from stronger metal.  I'd like to see newer technology used, and maybe it will be.  Time will tell.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

Back in the 70s when I was in the Navy, we had somewhere around 600 ships.  That may sound great - especially compared to the number we have now.

But consider - the aircraft carrier I was stationed on - The Franklin D Roosevelt - was at the time 30 years old. It was in bad need of repair;  or it needed to be decommissioned.  Due to a bent prop shaft (that would have required extensive work to repair), its top speed was less than 30 knots.  

Now for those who do not know, launching F-4 Phantom fighter jets (the standard fighter at the time) off a carrier deck requires a 30 plus knot wind.  Otherwise, into the drink.

Thus - on a day with at least a 5 knot wind, the carrier would 'turn into the wind'.  Combining the carrier's speed with the wind speed gave the required lift for successful launches.  

The problem occurred on  calm days with no wind.  Then, launching F-4's (our first response to possible Soviet attacks during the Cold War) would be impossible.  I always wondered if the Soviets knew this?  (in case anyone's concerned, this was back in the 70s.  The FDR has long been decommissioned.)

I point this out just to say that it's the quality of the ships that the navy has that is more important than the number.  The ships of today vs. 20 or 30 years ago also tend to serve more than one function.  Therefore one ship may be able to perform the duties of two.

I am certainly not an expert on what is the ideal number of ships.  I just hope that such experts exist, and that Trump and his advisers listen to them.

I don't think increasing the number of ships just for the sake of doing so is necessarily a prudent use of taxpayer resources.

Blessings,

-Ed

Edited by SavedByGrace1981

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I was on the USS Intrepid in the early 70's and we were constantly pumping out water from a hurricane the ship went through during WW II.  It's now a museum.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

12 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

It is not enough to spend 35% of the world's total spending on military while having just 4.4% of the world's population and just 16% of the world's GDP?

It is not enough to spend more than the next 7 countries combined on our military, we need to offer even more of an offering to the military industrial complex?

With the tax cuts of Trump, how are we going to pay for all these things he wants to spend money on?  Trump is just your typical republican...tax less and spend more.

That was my thoughts exactly. Who is paying for all of this? Trump?