Kindle

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Check out the World English Bible found online.  I quote it often.   It is based on the Byzantine text N.T. and ASV. 

Mat 12:47 WEB  One said to him, “Behold, your mother and your brothers stand outside, seeking to speak to you.”

Mat 17:21  WEB But this kind doesn’t go out except by prayer and fasting.”

Luk 24:40  WEB When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his feet.

Joh 5:4  WEB  for an angel went down at certain times into the pool, and stirred up the water. Whoever stepped in first after the stirring of the water was healed of whatever disease he had.

Guest shiloh357
47 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

A lot of folks who are independent fundamentalist baptists (IFB) will say that. I've heard it a lot.

You honestly expect me to believe that a lot of independent Baptists think that Paul spoke in English before English was invented?   Seriously???  Not buying it.   I live in an area of the country that is full of independent fundamental Baptist churches and no one says that.  No one is that dumb.

I've also heard the same people say that they would die for the idea that the KJV is the only version of the Bible that should be read in English or translated to any other language.

I already stated in the first page that the KJV was one of many translations and it's a good translation. I said here

"The KJV is a good translation. However, it is just one in many good translations available. I personally think the NASB or ESV are better word-for-word translations. Curious, do you also believed the KJV was inspired by the Holy Spirit?" 

God bless,
GE

Most of the time, what they say is that they believe that the KJV is the Word of God for the English speaking people.   You get some hardcore people who think it is inspired, but most understand the doctrine of inspiration well enough to understand that translations are not inspired.   You will find some rural pockets here and there who have strange ideas, but mainstream fundamental Baptists do not go around thinking that Paul spoke in KJV English.

The whole, "IF it was good enough for Paul, it is good enough for me"  line is as old as the hills and has been used to mock KJV only people for as long as I have been alive.  It is nothing more than that.

I would again, point out that the OP is not KJV only and as stated so, explicitly and so challenging her with KJV questions is really inappropriate.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  893
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

-  deleted by poster

Edited by just_abc

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

28 minutes ago, just_abc said:

I come from a part of the world where there are many different languages spoken here.  If only KJV is considered as the 'best' bible.... does that mean that bibles in all other languages are somehow considered inferior... simply because they are not in english?    Why would God favour the english language {and therefore english-speaking Christians} above all other languages and Christians?

When discussing the KJV, we are talking about English-speaking people (as well as those who are in Commonwealth countries where English is known and used). The Bible needs to be in every language, and as a example, the Trinitarian Bible Society publishes the equivalent of the KJV in many different languages for distribution around the world.  At the same time English has become the language of the world, just as at one time Greek was the language of the Roman Empire.  That is why the New Testament was written in Greek, and not in Hebrew.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

19 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

You honestly expect me to believe that a lot of independent Baptists think that Paul spoke in English before English was invented?   Seriously???  Not buying it.   I live in an area of the country that is full of independent fundamental Baptist churches and no one says that.  No one is that dumb.

Most of the time, what they say is that they believe that the KJV is the Word of God for the English speaking people.   You get some hardcore people who think it is inspired, but most understand the doctrine of inspiration well enough to understand that translations are not inspired.   You will find some rural pockets here and there who have strange ideas, but mainstream fundamental Baptists do not go around thinking that Paul spoke in KJV English.

The whole, "IF it was good enough for Paul, it is good enough for me"  line is as old as the hills and has been used to mock KJV only people for as long as I have been alive.  It is nothing more than that.

I would again, point out that the OP is not KJV only and as stated so, explicitly and so challenging her with KJV questions is really inappropriate.

Perhaps your experience is different. That's what I've heard here in this part of the country. People here do indeed say that regarding Paul. And they really mean it. It does not matter if you believe it or not.

Many people here believe that the 1611 KJV translation of the Bible was inspired. Again, many people here say they would die for such a stance.

If you will note the questions I posed on post #4 of this thread were prior to the OP (worthy) clarifying on post #10 if she believed the KJV is the only version of the Bible people should read. So my questions were made prior to that knowledge. I don't find them inappropriate at all but relevant to the discussion.

If you don't like the questions I asked feel free to ignore them or to find another thread. You've made your opinion known. Two times now in fact. And I disagree. There's no rule on Worthy that states one cannot ask questions in the forums. Or share thoughts or opinions regarding a given subject which in this case is a particular version of the Bible in English.

While the KJV is a good translation there are other translations in English that are valid. The KJV has it's own set of translation issues just like any translation of the Bible. Bottom line the Holy Spirit must guide each of us in determining which translation of the Bible is best suited for us to read.

God bless,
GE

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41

Paul couldn't broadcast the gospel on cnn/tbn yet because they weren't organized yet

and he wasn't in the usa,

but he did televise on OETA/ PBS,  around 80 a.d.,  when the new Jerusalem tv was first started,

right ?

(didn't we all see it televised last year ?? )

:)

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37

1 hour ago, GoldenEagle said:

While the KJV is a good translation there are other translations in English that are valid...

Validity is based upon faithfulness to the traditional Hebrew and Greek texts.  So the Geneva Bible (for example) would be valid, but the NIV would not. Christians need to discern between the pure and the corrupt. Unfortunately there has been a lot of propaganda and fake news in this connection, to mislead Christians.

• Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  8

17 minutes ago, Abdicate said:

Hebrew is a very creative language. So much so, that each letter has its own meaning. From each meaning, the word is formed to convey a concept. That kind of language is very difficult to accurately express all its intended meaning. In fact, there are many levels to the written word of God. There's the plain text, then the deeper meaning, then the double meaning, and so much more. Think of it! God created the universe and with its great complexity, think not that He wouldn't also do the same to anything He produces. Why do you think all humans like a puzzle? To find Him, Proverbs 25:2

Yes this is true. Do you know hebrew?

Just now, Abdicate said:

I'm not a native speaker, so I can't say I "know" it. I use it with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Oh OK let me know if you need any help with any of the words. I speak Hebrew and read biblical Hebrew,paleo and ancient hebrew

16 minutes ago, Abdicate said:

Thank you for the offer! :) That's very kind. I'm still learning, but what a wonderful journey into the unknown. The deep meanings are so enlightening. It expands the surface text to amazing wonders. I was amazed when I understood "light be" to be "energy". 

Your welcome