• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, Ezra said:

Validity is based upon faithfulness to the traditional Hebrew and Greek texts.  So the Geneva Bible (for example) would be valid, but the NIV would not. Christians need to discern between the pure and the corrupt. Unfortunately there has been a lot of propaganda and fake news in this connection, to mislead Christians.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, GoldenEagle said:

While the KJV is a good translation there are other translations in English that are valid. The KJV has it's own set of translation issues just like any translation of the Bible. Bottom line the Holy Spirit must guide each of us in determining which translation of the Bible is best suited for us to read.

God bless,
GE

There was a time (about 2-3 years) when I was so burned out with organized religion that all I could do was read The Message which is a paraphrase. Yet God brought me back around to reading the NIV, then the NKJV, and now primarily the ESV. Each journey towards Christ may be similar but each individual person is different. The road may be the same but the struggles, victories, etc. will be different. Again, perhaps we should all just allow the Holy Spirit to be the Holy Spirit in people's lives?

God bless,
GE

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, GoldenEagle said:

Again, perhaps we should all just allow the Holy Spirit to be the Holy Spirit in people's lives?

I don't see how exposing corrupt Bibles interferes with the work of the Holy Spirit, since He is the Author of the true Bible.  To God, every word of Scripture is critical.  This is a principle which seems to have been discarded since the 19th century.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Translation should be done with prayer as much as reading of the Bible.  The Holy Spirit can guide a translator to the best word to use in context.  The person who has no concept of spiritual things, such as atheists and unbelievers, cannot translate as accurately.  An example is the early RSV use of young woman in place of virgin when referring to Mary.  The context of a Hebrew young woman would be virgin; the penalty for not being a virgin was normally death.   (Joseph chose to be merciful and just divorce Mary till the angel intervened.)  I do believe that the Holy Spirit has preserved our Bible.  The difference between the best translations and the worst paraphrases does not change the Gospel, and God still uses them to save people.  It is better to memorize and study a literal translation.

I believe that most translators of KJV were christians.  However, there were a few problems with the text of Tyndale since Erasmus didn't have access to Rome's best Greek manuscripts, and then Tyndale was martyred by the Catholics for translating the Bible into English before he could finish.  Revelation is from the Latin Bible of Jerome, the Septuigent , as I remember, and many errors were later discovered by other Catholics in Jerome's translating.  Corrections of KJV 1611 were being made for several centuries before we arrived at the present KJV, including leaving the NOT out of thou shalt not commit adultery!   At the time of its first publication there were criticisms from other translators that it was poetic at the expense of being literal.  Young's translation was more literal, perhaps.  But I have studied the New Testament more than the Hebrew.  The changes in meaning of many words in KJV english cause me misgivings about it;  irregardless it was the best translation for several centuries.

I personally prefer the Byzantine text, from which Textus Receptus was largely derived.  And I distrust the accuracy the text of the oldest text held in Alexandria Egypt for many years since there is good evidence of corruption by gnosticism in that text.  This is the one used by recent translators that leaves out verses.   Most early Byzantine texts were ordered to be burned by the Roman emperor.  But it was the most widely used and distributed text of the early church.  The passages that are left out in the new translations were quoted by early church fathers in their debates on doctrine, showing their prior existence and use.   So I agree with Word-Sword on this.

Literal versions are:

*Interlinear Bible

*American Standard Version

*King James Version

*New King James Version

*World English Bible 

New American Standard Version                                                                                                                      New American Standard Version Update

English Standard Version

Amplified Version

There are fewer differences between literal versions than there are between literal versions v.s. thought for thought and paraphrases.  But all can bring us to saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.  It is more important that we read one than none at all.

The New World Translation of the Jehovah's Witnesses should be avoided.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

There was a time (about 2-3 years) when I was so burned out with organized religion that all I could do was read The Message which is a paraphrase. Yet God brought me back around to reading the NIV, then the NKJV, and now primarily the ESV. Each journey towards Christ may be similar but each individual person is different. The road may be the same but the struggles, victories, etc. will be different. Again, perhaps we should all just allow the Holy Spirit to be the Holy Spirit in people's lives?

God bless,
GE

Totally agree with you. I use the NIV most of the time - I think it is the best translation for study purposes - but very often the NLT makes the passages clearer and speaks to me devotionally. So most bibles have their usefulness.